Sources Of Tea In Thailand

jeb

I'm looking for reasonably-priced varieties of loose Pu Erh and Oolong by the kilo. I'd prefer to buy/pick up in the Northeast, but realistically anywhere if they'll ship.

jeb

The best source for quality Chinese tea definately is KL. Better than even China as there is a lot of cheating in the tea buisness going on there. Many KL shops have over the decades developed excellent relationships with the smaller private plantations in the top growing areas.

In Bangkok there is Ong's tea, main shop in Siam Discovery, also a shop the owners of Ong's have shares in Siam Paragon. Their original shop is in Ratanakosin. Unfortunately the quality both semi fermented teas lags far behind what is available in Malaysia, and you will mostly get fully fermented Pu Erh here, and not the high quality Green Pu Erh's that age so well.

The teas available in Chiang Mai are mostly Taiwanese style Oolongs. If that is your taste, than you can get a few passable locally grown teas. The in my opinion far superior Wu Yi teas though you will not get there. To get the really good ones you have to go to KL, the best ones are only available through private contacts there.

Thanks to all for the leads and links. As a newby the only KL I can think of is Kuala Lumpur(sp?); is that correct?

jeb

I'm looking for reasonably-priced varieties of loose Pu Erh and Oolong by the kilo. I'd prefer to buy/pick up in the Northeast, but realistically anywhere if they'll ship.

jeb

The best source for quality Chinese tea definately is KL. Better than even China as there is a lot of cheating in the tea buisness going on there. Many KL shops have over the decades developed excellent relationships with the smaller private plantations in the top growing areas.

In Bangkok there is Ong's tea, main shop in Siam Discovery, also a shop the owners of Ong's have shares in Siam Paragon. Their original shop is in Ratanakosin. Unfortunately the quality both semi fermented teas lags far behind what is available in Malaysia, and you will mostly get fully fermented Pu Erh here, and not the high quality Green Pu Erh's that age so well.

The teas available in Chiang Mai are mostly Taiwanese style Oolongs. If that is your taste, than you can get a few passable locally grown teas. The in my opinion far superior Wu Yi teas though you will not get there. To get the really good ones you have to go to KL, the best ones are only available through private contacts there.

Thanks to all for the leads and links. As a newby the only KL I can think of is Kuala Lumpur(sp?); is that correct?

Yes, Kuala Lumpur is KL. If you are ever down that way, you might want to check out Purple Cane. They run some nice tea shops, they may even do mail order. Not sure whether they are connected to this rumoured tea underworld that apparently operates in KL but regardless, you should be able to pick up something nice for your sipping pleasure.

Edited by ovenman

Yes, Kuala Lumpur is KL. If you are ever down that way, you might want to check out Purple Cane. They run some nice tea shops, they may even do mail order. Not sure whether they are connected to this rumoured tea underworld that apparently operates in KL but regardless, you should be able to pick up something nice for your sipping pleasure.

Yes, Purple Cane is the store. I have known them since more than ten years, and they have a solid supply of very good tea.

There are better teas available, but only if you have private contacts. As stores go, purple cane is top range.

Purple cane is very much into the present Pu Erh bubble. But they have to make money as well.

I can't afford the old one's anymore, so i usually buy good fresher ones, and age them myself.

Jeb,

Give me a call on 0815301230.

I will pass onto you the contact to K. Sutat, a good friend. His family process tea of 3000 rai, basically a couple of villages in Chiangrai. I have been to the plantations and visited their factory. Good operators, and real gems of nice people.

K.Sutat also has access to Taiwanese best tea and Chinas best.

Regards, Jay

Purple cane is very much into the present Pu Erh bubble. But they have to make money as well.

I can't afford the old one's anymore, so i usually buy good fresher ones, and age them myself.

One tea shop guy with whom I spoke recently in KL pretty much referred to that market as a bubble, too. He was really wary of dropping too much money into some of the Pu Erh teas, especially the older ones you mention, as the bottom could easily drop out of this seemingly-inflated market at some point. Still, if you are into that sort of thing, it's definitely available in KL and as you pointed out, the KL dealers seem more scrupulous than some in China itself.

It's been building up over time. I do remember when it all started, and the shops buiding up their stock. Good Pu Erh is lovely, but it is definately not worth the outrageous prices that are paid now. The good thing about the bubble is that it keeps the whole market afloat, meaning that other teas get the necessary funding as well.

Personally, i find the pinnacle of tea art are the Wu Yi teas. The good ones are very rare, only come from tiny plantations, often not bigger than an average living room.

One tea shop guy with whom I spoke recently in KL pretty much referred to that market as a bubble, too. He was really wary of dropping too much money into some of the Pu Erh teas, especially the older ones you mention, as the bottom could easily drop out of this seemingly-inflated market at some point. Still, if you are into that sort of thing, it's definitely available in KL and as you pointed out, the KL dealers seem more scrupulous than some in China itself.