BMW 310R Poblems

d4291797

45 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Ahh there he is, mr knowitall.

Let me tell you this...i was in Pattaya 2 weeks ago with my wife and her department...also the big boss joined us.

I was smoking outside the hotel with my wife and some of her collegues (all university degree's working in hi-tech). Then i noticed a new boy that i didn't know, he stayed in full sun examining the plants in the beds while wearing a black suit and carrying his notebook...i wondered why he didn't come inside since it was very hot in the sun.

Later that night we had seafood dinner, that boy happened to be their new collegue. He took seat far away from me untill his big boss noticed that and told him to go sit next to me...he hesitated but did it, the other collegues were laughing about it so i asked my wife why her big boss ordered him to sit next to me. She said that he was new and during his interview for the job he had confirmed he could speak english...so this was his chance to prove it. (don't cry yet).

I only introduced myself and didn't speak to him but he went to the toilet 4 times during dinner and when i came back from smoking he left to smoke, every time...so he avoided me, fine i don't care. 

I didn't want to speak english to him because when he told me his name i already heared that he wasn't good in it. I gave him the chance to speak to me if he wanted, if not than not...his big boss was sitting oppose me so could see it all.

Yes that was hard but he was still lucky i didn't test him out. That's farang style of testing people me thinks and yes at their company they do work with farangs and speaking english if very important...they even have a private english teacher at office where ALL employees have to go many hours a week to learn how to speak fluent english.

Later that night another bloke (engineer) was speaking to me but getting pretty drunk. He told me 10 times to tell my wife that he needed a big bonus this year and even got agressive against me, that drunk he was...(my wife was sleeping already). So when i came in the bedroom she woke up and i told her about that annoying boy who needed a big bonus from her this year....

Next morning at breakfast he sat at the big table, my wife immediatly told him loud that i had told her that he needed a big bonus this year...and that he repeated that 10 times to me....he replied he was so drunk that he couldn't remember anything...all his collegues were laughing loud so i told him he shouldn't drink so much if he can't stand it.

So you still think the Thai don't need to learn english? Well maybe for lower jobs like working at BurgerKing but not in the hitech world where they all have a high degree and very good salary.

Not really interested in your dinner tales and university degree educated Thai wife's employee tales, nor toilet counts and cigarette breaks.

But next time you want to tell us a story, keep it short, and more importantly keep it written in understandable English.

I haven't a clue what you are rambling on about.

And perhaps, ever so slightly, on topic.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Not really interested in your dinner tales and university degree educated Thai wife's employee tales, nor toilet counts and cigarette breaks.

But next time you want to tell us a story, keep it short, and more importantly keep it written in understandable English.

I haven't a clue what you are rambling on about.

And perhaps, ever so slightly, on topic.

Translation: He thinks all staff who may interact with Westerners should speak English. He's been to a 'Thai function' so knows more than the rest of us mere peasant shaggers... 

On topic (Kindof)...  I recently purchased a BMW motorcycle - The staff spoke English, not very well, but a sufficient amount should I not speak Thai (which is poor enough not be proud of, but gets me by in most situations)....

And on topic even more... My G310GS (the ADV sister bike of the Ops Bike) has done about 600km trouble free (so far)... so I'm keeping an eye on this thread. 

Op - any contacts you do make at BMW Motorrad who have proven themselves responsible / useful would be helpful to many BMW Motorcycle owners who are reading this thread... 

9 hours ago, fruitman said:

Ahh there he is, mr knowitall.

Let me tell you this...i was in Pattaya 2 weeks ago with my wife and her department...also the big boss joined us.

I was smoking outside the hotel with my wife and some of her collegues (all university degree's working in hi-tech). Then i noticed a new boy that i didn't know, he stayed in full sun examining the plants in the beds while wearing a black suit and carrying his notebook...i wondered why he didn't come inside since it was very hot in the sun.

Later that night we had seafood dinner, that boy happened to be their new collegue. He took seat far away from me untill his big boss noticed that and told him to go sit next to me...he hesitated but did it, the other collegues were laughing about it so i asked my wife why her big boss ordered him to sit next to me. She said that he was new and during his interview for the job he had confirmed he could speak english...so this was his chance to prove it. (don't cry yet).

I only introduced myself and didn't speak to him but he went to the toilet 4 times during dinner and when i came back from smoking he left to smoke, every time...so he avoided me, fine i don't care. 

I didn't want to speak english to him because when he told me his name i already heared that he wasn't good in it. I gave him the chance to speak to me if he wanted, if not than not...his big boss was sitting oppose me so could see it all.

Yes that was hard but he was still lucky i didn't test him out. That's farang style of testing people me thinks and yes at their company they do work with farangs and speaking english if very important...they even have a private english teacher at office where ALL employees have to go many hours a week to learn how to speak fluent english.

Later that night another bloke (engineer) was speaking to me but getting pretty drunk. He told me 10 times to tell my wife that he needed a big bonus this year and even got agressive against me, that drunk he was...(my wife was sleeping already). So when i came in the bedroom she woke up and i told her about that annoying boy who needed a big bonus from her this year....

Next morning at breakfast he sat at the big table, my wife immediatly told him loud that i had told her that he needed a big bonus this year...and that he repeated that 10 times to me....he replied he was so drunk that he couldn't remember anything...all his collegues were laughing loud so i told him he shouldn't drink so much if he can't stand it.

So you still think the Thai don't need to learn english? Well maybe for lower jobs like working at BurgerKing but not in the hitech world where they all have a high degree and very good salary.

And what do we learn from all this?

I guess if you buy a BMW motorcycle in Thailand then you better be able to speak Thai with the Thais.

Because if you can't do that then your only other option is to complain in German to the head office in Germany. ???? 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Translation: He thinks all staff who may interact with Westerners should speak English. He's been to a 'Thai function' so knows more than the rest of us mere peasant shaggers... 

On topic (Kindof)...  I recently purchased a BMW motorcycle - The staff spoke English, not very well, but a sufficient amount should I not speak Thai (which is poor enough not be proud of, but gets me by in most situations)....

Yeah, he's one of these guys that thinks the Thais owe us one. That their economy would sink without our support.

There's expats up my way that actually think they are supporting the local economy by building a house and hanging around expat bars and spending money.

Pitiful really.

Same as a BMW dealership has say 5 sales staff - send them all out on English classes until they can speak reasonable sales English before they are allowed on the sales floor?

Meanwhile.........

Ya know, the shop sells say 52 BM's a year - one a week, i'd guestimate that 50-51 of those punters being a Thai.

And when that one Felang walks through the door, yeah exactly, you still bought one, as did the OP....

41 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, he's one of these guys that thinks the Thais owe us one. That their economy would sink without our support.

There's expats up my way that actually think they are supporting the local economy by building a house and hanging around expat bars and spending money.

Pitiful really.

Same as a BMW dealership has say 5 sales staff - send them all out on English classes until they can speak reasonable sales English before they are allowed on the sales floor?

Meanwhile.........

Ya know, the shop sells say 52 BM's a year - one a week, i'd guestimate that 50-51 of those punters being a Thai.

And when that one Felang walks through the door, yeah exactly, you still bought one, as did the OP....

In principle I agree with you.

But it definitely wouldn't hurt if the sales people would be able to read, write and speak (some) English. Lots if information out there is in English. If they want to inform themselves about new bikes then it would help if they know English.

But I think this thread is more about the attitude than about English. Many years ago I read an article that Mercedes wanted to make sure their products are high quality all over the world. Obviously they couldn't label them all "Made in Germany" but what they did is label them "Made by Mercedes" which obviously implied something like: consistent high quality vehicles, parts and service.

I think that is what is missing from above BMW dealer, and not only that dealer. I guess those dealers have restrictions like i.e. they can't just give a customer a new bike if the just bought bike does not work perfectly. But what they could do, and basically without any cost, is to really work hard to make that customer happy. Repair the bike within a day. Clean and polish it until it looks better than new.

I am sure most customer would really appreciate such a service and even recommend that dealer.

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

She said that he was new and during his interview for the job he had confirmed he could speak english...so this was his chance to prove it.
[...]

they even have a private english teacher at office where ALL employees have to go many hours a week to learn how to speak fluent english.

So most people at the office can speak fluent english, but nobody did try to talk english with the new guy who claimed he can speak english, and to do this they need you? Sounds like you made up your story

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

So most people at the office can speak fluent english, but nobody did try to talk english with the new guy who claimed he can speak english, and to do this they need you? Sounds like you made up your story

"they even have a private english teacher at office where ALL employees have to go many hours a week to learn how to speak fluent english."

Just because they go to learn English, does not mean that hey actually do
learn/speak English.

18 minutes ago, papa al said:

"they even have a private english teacher at office where ALL employees have to go many hours a week to learn how to speak fluent english."

Just because they go to learn English, does not mean that hey actually do
learn/speak English.

And it's very possible the person (private English teacher) who comes to the office several hours per week to teach English has no training whatever, there's no step by step progression in the classes, there's no logical progressive books or handouts etc., in fact it's very possible the private English teacher is unaware of such approaches / methods. 

Bottom line - before you buy a bike in this country, ensure that after sales service will be efficient.

Due diligence would have discovered the bad rep that this dealer has. Live in Uttaradit - no problem. The guy there is a wiz.

Same Same Ducati - better live close a good dealer, and establish a dialogue with a Ducati dealer in Italy so the 30-60-90-120 day wait for parts does not happen.

Want some obscure brand with few if any qualified techs to service it - get ready for some fun

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Bottom line - before you buy a bike in this country, ensure that after sales service will be efficient.

Due diligence would have discovered the bad rep that this dealer has. Live in Uttaradit - no problem. The guy there is a wiz.

Same Same Ducati - better live close a good dealer, and establish a dialogue with a Ducati dealer in Italy so the 30-60-90-120 day wait for parts does not happen.

Want some obscure brand with few if any qualified techs to service it - get ready for some fun

what's your suggestion, drive a honda wave like the rest of the sheep?

I have a Dyna, and a CB650F. Along with a PCX and CRF250L.

HD service great, Big Wing satisfactory. Smaller bikes no problem. I tell them to leave the chain alone, as it is always too tight when they 'adjust' it.

Ride what you want, but buy from a dealer with known issues and let the crying begin.

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

what's your suggestion, drive a honda wave like the rest of the sheep?

Because people make a sensible informed decision based on reliability and resale value thus choosing a bike which is one of the most popular for a very sound reason they are sheep?.... seems a bit of strange attitude....

There is no doubt BMW produce some great bikes.

However the customer service standard ,and lack of customer care is alarming and should not be accepted.
Together with the quality of some of the work.

Now the nearest dealer to CNX is Udon Thani.

So for sure Barcelona CNX think they have a captive market.

If people would shed apathy ,and rattle BMW Motorrad Germany’s cage ,then hopefully they will give Motorrad Thailand a severe rev up.

Ideally to give the agency here ,to someone who is prepared to be pro active in the customers interest!

We should not have to accept what is going on here.

I will repeat, both Barcelona and Motorrad Thailand have been contacted in Thai and English.
So this can not be blamed on language issues!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because people make a sensible informed decision based on reliability and resale value thus choosing a bike which is one of the most popular for a very sound reason they are sheep?.... seems a bit of strange attitude....

Correct, they are sheep.

Strange attitude is still better than being a sheep in my very humble ( and strange ) opinion.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I have a Dyna, and a CB650F. Along with a PCX and CRF250L.

HD service great, Big Wing satisfactory. Smaller bikes no problem. I tell them to leave the chain alone, as it is always too tight when they 'adjust' it.

Ride what you want, but buy from a dealer with known issues and let the crying begin.

I have 3 Ducati's and a PCX.

Ducati service is shocking, they're basically only interested in sales, like so many other things here, after sales is non existent. I know one of the girls quiet well who looks after me, only ever use the authorised dealer in BKK not these satellite franchises in KK / Pattaya / CM / Korat etc.

They can just about stumble through a service, nothing else and yes the lead times on spares are outrageuous BUT that's what you have to put up with for driving a premium bike in this country,

PCX never fails ( but i feel like a sheep on it ).

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

There's a big difference between speaking english to another thai or a farang...but of course you'll know it better...

I have wanted a Multistrada for years, ever since I rode one for the day in Singapore.

Would I put up with the BS owning one entails ? Would I dare to travel to Laos, or Cambodia, knowing that my only recourse is to order parts from Italy, and sit in a hotel room until they arrive ?

NO

Guess my only option if I want to ride one is to buy 3 - and hope they do not all get flushed down the toilet at the same time.

Calling people sheep is a double edged sword - you could say that if you buy a Duck and let yourself be treated as you have described, you very well may be one of the flock yourself.

13 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I have wanted a Multistrada for years, ever since I rode one for the day in Singapore.

Would I put up with the BS owning one entails ? Would I dare to travel to Laos, or Cambodia, knowing that my only recourse is to order parts from Italy, and sit in a hotel room until they arrive ?

NO

Guess my only option if I want to ride one is to buy 3 - and hope they do not all get flushed down the toilet at the same time.

Calling people sheep is a double edged sword - you could say that if you buy a Duck and let yourself be treated as you have described, you very well may be one of the flock yourself.

Yes, this is the latest addition, i've just bought a MS 950 but you're absolutely right, always seem to waiting for the fateful day where i break down in butt <deleted> nowhere and need to 'phone a friend' spoiling a trip away. Like you i've wanted one for a while an have just got a good deal on one ( or so i think ).

My Motard i've had one small issue with rear sproket and had to throw on FIL pick up to get to BKK, was it a pain - absolutely. Does all the fun i have on it outweight that one issue - absolutely NOT!

My Full Throttle, no issues to date, touch wood!!

I kinda knew what to expect when buying these machines but nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.

Totally agree though, you need a back up bike coz if a spare is required it'll be months turning up.

It seems not to matter what you buy here, if it's outwith the 'mainstream' it's a gamble.

Happy biking!

I've also planned to go to Siem Reap many times but too scared due to reliability issues and getting it home if it s***s the bed.

My Credit Card offers 'vehicle recovery'....  I've used it twice over the past 10 years or so... once towed out of a Mutli-story car park another from the express way (both times within BKK to the dealership / service centre)...  It worked quite well.. but both were Cars not bikes.

I'm wondering if this 'recovery service' also includes motorcycles, I don't see why not and its good piece of mind if traveling up country a distance away from a service centre. 

Although its unlikely to be of much help in the Siam Reap or another country... However, I'm sure the journeys are well worth the risks and as long as we keep something in the back pocket for such 'logistical emergencies' its ok... 

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Credit Card offers 'vehicle recovery'....  I've used it twice over the past 10 years or so... once towed out of a Mutli-story car park another from the express way (both times within BKK to the dealership / service centre)...  It worked quite well.. but both were Cars not bikes.

I'm wondering if this 'recovery service' also includes motorcycles, I don't see why not and its good piece of mind if traveling up country a distance away from a service centre. 

Although its unlikely to be of much help in the Siam Reap or another country... However, I'm sure the journeys are well worth the risks and as long as we keep something in the back pocket for such 'logistical emergencies' its ok... 

I think you can get something for bikes at about 5K a year premium.

I think that i'd always have a friend with a pick that would do me a solid in an emergency, might have to wait a day or two but that's ok, i'm not in much of a hurry for anything.

Does your car insurance not cover roadside pick up?

Like you say being out the country and something going 'pete tong' is a bit of a worry and to date the reason why i've not bothered. Plenty to be seen in Thailand anyway....

31 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I think you can get something for bikes at about 5K a year premium.

I think that i'd always have a friend with a pick that would do me a solid in an emergency, might have to wait a day or two but that's ok, i'm not in much of a hurry for anything.

Does your car insurance not cover roadside pick up?

Like you say being out the country and something going 'pete tong' is a bit of a worry and to date the reason why i've not bothered. Plenty to be seen in Thailand anyway....

I only know 1 person with a pickup !!!... I guess thats the difference between country and city living !!...  So not much opportunity to be relying on a friend there... That said, it'd be a big ask to expect a friend to pick up a broken down bike from Pai... (to Bangkok)... 

I wonder if other posters have had the experience of a catastrophic breakdown and what they did about it..... anyone?

I suspect the car insurance only covers a 'road side pickup' if the vehicle is immobile after being involved in an accident... I suspect that a recovery service after a breakdown is something different requiring additional cover / membership.

On another note: I think the Bike insurance is about B16k... the car insurance is about B30k...  The car is 8x the value of the bike !!!!!

Yes.. I know all this is kind of off-topic... but not so if the Op's new bike breaks down when he's a distance away from home !

I keep the numbers of any roll on / roll off trucks in my fone. Go to a different city - say Udon Thani enroute Vienteine, and I see one I note the number. At least they will come get you, and can winch the remains - !!! - on the deck quite easily. Or have enuf cable to fish it over the cliff !!!

man.jpg

I only know 1 person with a pickup !!!... I guess thats the difference between country and city living !!...  So not much opportunity to be relying on a friend there... That said, it'd be a big ask to expect a friend to pick up a broken down bike from Pai... (to Bangkok)... 

I wonder if other posters have had the experience of a catastrophic breakdown and what they did about it..... anyone?

I suspect the car insurance only covers a 'road side pickup' if the vehicle is immobile after being involved in an accident... I suspect that a recovery service after a breakdown is something different requiring additional cover / membership.

On another note: I think the Bike insurance is about B16k... the car insurance is about B30k...  The car is 8x the value of the bike !!!!!

Yes.. I know all this is kind of off-topic... but not so if the Op's new bike breaks down when he's a distance away from home !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Guys at time of purchase from Barcelona BMW we were told this bike came with two year road side assist.
Now we were also informed we could pay 2000 baht a year to continue this, which is a good deal!

Frustratingly, just to add salt in the wound, we have yet to see it, despite reminders.

Yes it did come with first class insurance, showing cost was 23000 baht!
Go figure that price!

I have had a chain snap on the highway in the middle of no where somewhere just before tak ,I had a mate phone some shops in Chiang Mai and they agreed to bring a chain and fit it for me,I was 180 km away from Chiang Mai so was a 3 hour wait on the roadside on my own.

a couple of Thais stopped and asked if I needed help usually you could leave bike and get lift to nearest town where you could find someone to rescue or repair bike.

some Thais have also set up a group on the line app which is for emergency use only ,if your stuck you can post on there and the idea is any other bikers that are on the group in whatever area you are in can possibly help you.

1 hour ago, d4291797 said:

Yes it did come with first class insurance, showing cost was 23000 baht!
Go figure that price!

23k for a 310cc bike that costs 210k? Either they are ripping people off or it's a mistake and they used some bigger BMW bike for that quote.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I had this only happen once with my Honda PCX, after asking arround somebody with a pickup offered to take me and the bike to the next town which had a Honda shop, about 20km away, i gave him a few hundred baht for his help. If you have to go 200km to the next shop it will of course become more difficult to find somebody willing to take you, but if you are willing to offer some more money probably somebody will take you ????

I would expect that even in Laos or Cambodia, in the worst case in the middle of the country, if you have a few thousand baht, you will find somebody to take you and the bike back to Thailand.

It also depends on your bike. A light, small 310cc single on a pickup? Easy. A bigger 250kg adventure bike? Better find some good straps that hold the bike still but also don't scratch it up. And a ramp because you're not going to lift that one up by hand.

Archived