Volunteering in Bangkok

Hey,

are any of you currently volunteering in Bangkok and/or can recommend Orgs? I have decided to stay here until late 2020 and I would like my visa situation to be as legitimate as possible. I would consider ED and would love to learn Thai but I don't feel comfortable with frequently hearing of people getting rejected. And getting a non-immigrant via dummy corp seems silly if I can actually provide a service that's helpful to others. I'm looking for something part-time 2-6 hours a week.

Seems to me someone is searching for a loop-hole to side-step visa/permit process. I seriously doubt any org. would provide visa/work permit to anyone for 2-6 hrs per week. 

Lets see what the experts suggest. ????

• Haha 1

Options with relatively low hours were reported in Chaing Mai a couple years ago by posters - through an "agent" of course (like most things at that office).  There was some work involved, and also "contributions" requested for the charity reported.  I haven't heard about this in Bangkok.  You should expect 10 hrs+ / wk minimum - probably 20.

As to ED: This would be far easier to arrange, but does involve attending class, if you want to be legitimate.  Rejections are only reported when traveling out and back while on ED-extensions, and only when people return via a dangerous entry point (where IOs make up "unpublished" rules) - such as Bangkok's airports or the Poipet/Aranyaprathet land-border.  You would have no problem returning at any other land border, and probably ok at Chaing Mai airport.  But, to be on the safe-side, get a letter from the school excusing/explaining your absence to show immigration, if asked.  That should answer any concerns as to whether you are a legitimate student.

Do be prepared to pay 3K or more for each 3-mo extension through your school (acting as "agent"), if your local immigration office has a corruption problem.  Otherwise, they may "short" your extensions, or create other problems, as punishment for the lack of "extra" money.  Be sure to attend class and document each day's attendance - especially you are extorted to pay "extra" for extensions - so that your legitimate-stay as a student can never be called into question.

• Like 1

If you work for an agency they should provide the papers to make a visa 

i mean a ligit agency 

if you try to cut corners then you may find yourself in trouble 

there are school where you can teach for 2 hours per day 

the schools shall have experience with providing you with the right paper work as they have experience with all foreign teachers and students 

I assume your telling the truth rather than some assuming your “ looking for a loop hole “

all the best 

4 hours ago, BigC said:

If you work for an agency they should provide the papers to make a visa 

i mean a ligit agency 

if you try to cut corners then you may find yourself in trouble 

there are school where you can teach for 2 hours per day 

the schools shall have experience with providing you with the right paper work as they have experience with all foreign teachers and students 

I assume your telling the truth rather than some assuming your “ looking for a loop hole “

all the best 

The Schools unless totally administered by Brits or Americans dont give a shit and they are few and far between. Try working in a neighbouring country like Burma and push in.  I was offered a job in construction but I declined because the working conditions were inferior to those where they built the pyramids in Egypt.

None of the "volunteering" jobs I've ever seen provide WP's or visa's.

I know a couple of "younger" retired guys who've done a bit of volunteering - for something to do rather then propping up the bars every day, but it has never worked out since they were treated like crap by their "hosts", and combined with the risk of being "shopped" none of them did it for long.

Anyone under 50 who wants to stay long term either needs to get a proper job (if qualified), an ED or Elite visa (0.5MM bt), or get married (many MM's of bt).