Sending gold from Thailand

medic5678

Well, it's Christmas, although any holiday is a good reason to buy gold according to my wife.  I'm buying her 3 baht gold (sending the money to her sister) for a bracelet.  Her sister will buy it at the gold shop and send it to us.  The question is *how* to send it.  Do we have to pay import tax to bring it in?  I think this is about $2,000 in gold.  Anyone with any experience here is welcome to comment. 

The Thais say you need to wrap whatever you send in copy paper if you don't insure it, else the postal employees will filch it.  Don't know how much credence there is to that, but hey, it's cheap enough to do.  We can't go to Thailand at this time, so we can't pick it up.

Of course, my wife has the reverence for gold that all Thai ladies have.  She's been so outstanding that it seems like a good Xmas present, even for a Bhuddist girl.

The only safe way is to send it with couriers like DHL or FedEx , however the true content and value will have to be declared and n import tax will be put on it at the other end, sending it EMS is best and will fly under the custom radar, but not sure if it will insured to the full value, try EMS first and see what is best for you....

I can't make heads or tails of the customs required here.  She will be buying the gold from a shop in Nakhon Sawan.   My wife seems very confident of doing it this way.  I have no idea how you'd be sure of what you were getting.

She met a Thai lady on facebook who claims to be an agent for a gold shop and says they only charge $30 to ship it and sell it for the same price they would in Thailand.  I don't buy it, so we're sending the $$ to her sister to make the purchase for us.

21 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I would definitely use someone I knew and trust, as it could be easy to just send you you an empty packet then claim " must have been lost n the mail."

Personally I wouldnt send it at all.

This is my wife's beloved sister.  She is utterly reliable.  We've used her for all our business in Thailand -  and with a lot more the just $2k.

1 minute ago, medic5678 said:

This is my wife's beloved sister.  She is utterly reliable.  We've used her for all our business in Thailand -  and with a lot more the just $2k.

I wasnt suggesting otherwise. I was merely stating "I would definitely use someone I knew and trust" for the benefit of others and in preference to an "agent". No offence intended.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

The only safe way is to send it with couriers like DHL or FedEx , however the true content and value will have to be declared

Pretty sure the international couriers will not ship gold. I know from personal experience they will not ship coins or currency collectibles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Buy it local, not much different in price.

Depends where "local" is.  In the UK you'd pay almost as much for crappy 9 or 14ct jewelry as you would for 23ct in Thailand, where you're paying almost entirely for the actual gold content at the hourly spot Intl price.

Not clear where OP is living..!

• Thanks 1

Well, I would give her a nice voucher and let her buy the physical gold next time she is in TH. (Or you buy it, then claim the 7% vat refund).

Mailing it? Had some  ----- declare used watches as $ 5,000 value and it was a living nightmare. A Thai friend spent all day and some Thai customs guy tripled his salary that day. That was the other way round.

$ 2,000? Dream on. Why not a nice 100 grams gold bar instead? One she can sell and then buy the necklace when in Thailand?

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

Depends where "local" is.  In the UK you'd pay almost as much for crappy 9 or 14ct jewelry as you would for 23ct in Thailand, where you're paying almost entirely for the actual gold content at the hourly spot Intl price.

Not clear where OP is living..!

Yeah you are right, i also missed the part about the bracelet,  i was thinking bullion.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:07 PM, mike324 said:

I have read on forums people buying diamond rings, and they use DHL and Fedex for shipping it. Its safe and fast.

Do you believe everything you read on a forum? Read the small print and you will know that neither DHL nor Fedex accept responsibility. They are no safer than Ems.

Edited by Letseng
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 9:31 PM, CharlieH said:

I would definitely use someone I knew and trust, as it could be easy to just send you you an empty packet then claim " must have been lost n the mail."

Personally I wouldnt send it at all.

I'm just astounded that some don't get it at all - 

That suggestions of this nature have to be mentioned. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wife's sister bought the gold for her in a shop in Lat Yao, of all places.  My wife's wrist is very small, and the gold shop had a bracelet that will fit her exactly.   I'm sending my wife back to Thailand for a month this summer, so she'll bring it back with her.   It's simply too much aggravation to do this by mail.