Please clarify the "money in the bank" method..

I am in the third year of Extensions of stay. I go next October for another extension but I want to make sure I understand the requirements. My understanding was that I had to have 800 thousand baht in the bank. Now, some are telling me that i only have to show that I have had 65 thousand baht deposited in my account for the past three months. This is confusing. Do I actually have to hold 800 thousand in the bank (impossible for me) or do they average it out based on deposits of 65 thousand for the previous three months? Thanks to anyone who can clear up this matter.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Rules available on the Immigration Bureau website :

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

Currently it's 800k last 3 months the safest way,

and income or combo if you still can get an Embassy letter...

No embassy letter available since it's only good for six months. I could get one at the outreach but it would have expired by the time I could use it. Looks like my only options are to use a visa service or go and live in the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Easy for YOU.........most assuredly NOT easy for me. Do you think 20 thousand baht is a fair price???

I have no first-hand knowledge but several have commented recently that they can routinely get a one year non-IMM O via marriage at Savannakhet consulate.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mackayae said:

or you can use the 65k baht/month (45k if married) transfer into your Thai bank.

Please tell me where you gleaned that bit of knowledge. No-one else seems to know of this method.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Immigration started this pissing contest by demanding "proof" of income that no embassy could possibly provide. They even challenged them to show those who had allegedly "cheated" on the requirements and offered to prosecute them. That wasn't good enough. The embassies threw us to the wolves (visa agencies) who will charge whatever obscene price that expats will pay. They split it with immigration and that's why they are tolerated. This is all a scam hatched by a sweetheart deal between agencies and immigration.

So please, how do German, French, Italian, Swedish, Norwegians etc etc get their Embassy letters.

Eligibilities

• The client must be at least 50 years of age or over during the time of the application.
  • The client must meet the financial requirement which could be any of the following:
    • Security deposit of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank; or
    • A monthly income or pension of 65,000 baht; or
    • A total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and income or pension for the entire year.
  • Like 1

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or
(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.

(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Immigration started this pissing contest by demanding "proof" of income that no embassy could possibly provide. They even challenged them to show those who had allegedly "cheated" on the requirements and offered to prosecute them. That wasn't good enough. The embassies threw us to the wolves (visa agencies) who will charge whatever obscene price that expats will pay. They split it with immigration and that's why they are tolerated. This is all a scam hatched by a sweetheart deal between agencies and immigration.

If you follow the rules you don't need an agent, never used an agent.in the 22 years I've been here and never had any real problems so don't understand why all the fuss.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mackayae said:

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or
(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.

(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

(3) means the evidence is in the form of a letter of verification from your Embassy. However the UK, USA AUS and Danish Embassies have said they cannot verify ...................oh no ,not again !

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Please tell me where you gleaned that bit of knowledge. No-one else seems to know of this method.

The requirements on the application for a visa, state the monthly deposit method above. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

(3) means the evidence is in the form of a letter of verification from your Embassy. However the UK, USA AUS and Danish Embassies have said they cannot verify ...................oh no ,not again !

No mention of the funds having to be in a THAI BANK. Still not clear enough. Half of my total income is in an American credit union. I have difficulties paying bills with my Bangkok Bank account. Most of the bills have to be paid using my credit union account. Bringing all my income to Thailand would be a mistake if I can't pay my bills.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So please, how do German, French, Italian, Swedish, Norwegians etc etc get their Embassy letters.

Norwegians can ask for it at the embassy, cost 1100 baht (standard price for consular business).

They normally do it while you wait.

dunno about the other countries