UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

If you're knocked down by a car and are unconscious or have concussion and memory loss?  How soon after you're admitted do you have to report? Is there a form like the 90-day report in Thailand?

As soon as your memory comes back,if not possible at prayer meeting

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, solo46 said:

Now herewithin(is that a word?) you are wrong.  Heavens forbid,calling you a liar?  no never...I did no such thing.   All I suggested you are quite possibility quoting an aid to memoir (is that a word?)  or unofficial source of your ,..can I say,rabbiting on

Again all I ask,no ploblem I hope is where you indeed do garner the miss information

Fanking You

Not from the Internet...

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Not from the Internet...

Now quite possibly this is where your wrongdoings in ascribing inaccurate quoting aspire from,yes indeed this is the font,or should I say non-font of your more than explicit dire warnings appear to spring forth from.  Please seek the font of truthfulness,it will benefit you

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:
  • You spend 183 days or more in the UK in the tax year under consideration;

• You have a home in the UK for a period of more than 90 days and you are present in the home on at least 30 separate days (note there are further conditions in relation to this test which you should also consider);

• You work full-time in the UK for 365 days or more with no significant break from UK work (there are also further conditions in relation to this test). Note that this test usually affects two or more tax years because the 365-day period will typically straddle two years);

• The fourth test is only relevant to people who die during the tax year.

All of these rules apply to taxation, not to state pensions.

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

For the purpose of Pension Act 2014, oversees resident is defined as somebody not ordinarily resident in the UK

Ordinarily resident was consided in the UK domestics court (Shah), and should have its natural meaning.

“ordinarily residence refers to a man’s abode in a particular place or country which he has adopted voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of his life for the time being, whether of short or long duration”

Confusion arises because in 2013 for tax purposes the term ordinary resident was abolished and residency tests implemented.

Yes

its now 2019 so I refer to latest residency tests and not those dating back to pre 2013

2 hours ago, transam said:

I thought the OP was asking about frozen pensions and living in LOS for more than the time limit allowed to maintain a non frozen pension...?  ????

I didn't take that meaning. But if that is what he wants to do, then fine, up to him (or her). 

41 minutes ago, solo46 said:

Now quite possibly this is where your wrongdoings in ascribing inaccurate quoting aspire from,yes indeed this is the font,or should I say non-font of your more than explicit dire warnings appear to spring forth from.  Please seek the font of truthfulness,it will benefit you

All of it... *%#*

2 hours ago, NightSky said:

All of it. ????

Everyones residency status will differ based on the criteria stated by the government agencies.

The UK criteria is now complex. I spent months determining my status last year in order to ensure tax compliance whilst living in two countries.

there is no hard and fast blanket statement rule. every one will need to do the residency tests themselves to determine residency status.

Also Thailand residency has nothing to do with determining uk residency status. You can be duel resident of more than one country or not but this does not effect Uk residency status in any way.

the website and guidance documents are quite clear on what constituents UK residency. Unless your particular case is complicated in some way it is very easy to ascertain whether a person is resident or not. 

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

All of these rules apply to taxation, not to state pensions.

Residency for tax purposes is exactly the same  as residency for the purposes of your State Pension and your other State rights as a resident.  

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

the website and guidance documents are quite clear on what constituents UK residency. Unless your particular case is complicated in some way it is very easy to ascertain whether a person is resident or not. 

Yes, ones residency may be simple or complicated, this is true. The tests will provide the answer for everyone individually.

44 minutes ago, solo46 said:

Don't understand a word of that. 

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

What is the basic state pension now for a Brit with full NI card. Before posting I've just found 3 different figures for the current year lol

Basic state pension, with 35 years NI record £6718.40. Then it depends on the type of NI contributions. The headline New State Pension can be £8767.20p.a. (which I would need 46 years NI to obtain). So somewhere between the two figure for 35+years NI record. 

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/11/state-pension-rates-confirmed-for-2019-20-how-much-will-you-get/

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Yep I'd go along with that Pilotman. Bottom line is our/your government know where you are (country) 24/7 these guys who worry about cookies etc etc are just in dreamland.

As an example and take this in. I returned from Thailand on Oman via Muscat arriving T4 last month. By the book as always.  Since I've had the current passport the E gates have only worked once.  As per normal over to manual check.

Smile as always. Most time its a scan and thank you Sir. Not this time, Where have you flown from Sir (very polite) to which I respond Thailand via Muscat on Oman.

She clearly looking at the screen. Now I'm British through and through but born in Germany (dad in forces) and I do have a slight German look I do accept especially on Passport photo......

Looking at me again she says "Wheres Nordsee Clinic" am looking at her completely blank until realisation dawns to which I reply with a big laugh thats the hospital I was born in on the Island of Sylt in West Germany

Passport back to me with big smile.  Now no way on earth did Nordsee Clinic every come up on any application to anything in my life !  Birthplace of course Sylt but not the clinic !!

Walking to carousel I'm thinking how the hell is that on file !!

You better believe what information is held on you lol !!

Off topic a bit, but my old man knew Silt quite well.  he lost 2 engines on his Lancaster when they were shot out over the Island !  He was not best pleased when the other two were done for by the guns at Dover (yes, he was lost) .  Crash landed at Manston. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Don't understand a word of that. 

The intended will though,for years banging on about crap,even when cornered had to admit it was sickness benefits,unemployment benefits,possibly pension credits,hang around a bit,  learn something...nothing to do with oap

Just now, solo46 said:

The intended will though,for years banging on about crap,even when cornered had to admit it was sickness benefits,unemployment benefits,possibly pension credits,hang around a bit,  learn something...nothing to do with oap

No sorry, still don't get it. 

11 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Yes

its now 2019 so I refer to latest residency tests and not those dating back to pre 2013

Correction , taxation residency tests came into being 2013, Pensions act came into being 2016 with no amendment to the legislation regarding residency.

In further evidence , expats can return to the UK temporarily and receive the uprating for the duration of their stay whilst not meeting tax residency status.

Just now, cleopatra2 said:

Correction , taxation residency tests came into being 2013, Pensions act came into being 2016 with no amendment to the legislation regarding residency.

In further evidence , expats can return to the UK temporarily and receive the uprating for the duration of their stay whilst not meeting tax residency status.

Presumably so long as they don't violate the 90 day rule? 

5 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

I think what you mean is expats can return to the UK for short stays without being a resident. This is true and the amount of time one may visit in one tax year without being a resident depends on the individuals circumstances. The tests will determine this for you. 

I’m not sure what correction you made to my post though, I was talking about Uk residency tests to determine status nothing more.

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Presumably so long as they don't violate the 90 day rule? 

For some expats it will be maximum 90 days per visit although there are caveats. Refer to the tests to be sure, don’t get caught out ????

So I am more confused now, if you are out of the UK more than 180 days (6 months) you lose your UK status & become a NON UK Resident from my understanding, but what rate would you get your Pension paid at the rate when you became a NON UK Resident or the rate of the current State pension for the year you make the claim without any further yearly increase ? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, fcgprg said:

Your State Pension will be the amount that is due to you from the date you claim it. If you have a Government gateway account you can check the current amount you will get when you claim your state pension.

This is right I got my pension started 2008 It remained the same. we returned to live permanently in UK last year, my pension increased by £300 per month. So we are pounds in, and no loss on the exchange rate which for us amounted to a 40% loss in value since I started it in 2008

Another point now. we got my Thai wife received 60% of my pension amount, she is 20 years younger than myself. Well the point is, That has stopped now, the Thai wife will not get that if she is not at uk retirement age, that is for new claims, if  you returned to live in uk now.

2 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

So I am more confused now, if you are out of the UK more than 180 days (6 months) you lose your UK status & become a NON UK Resident from my understanding, but what rate would you get your Pension paid at the rate when you became a NON UK Resident or the rate of the current State pension for the year you make the claim without any further yearly increase ? 

Thanks

If you are claiming a UK pension (benefit) you must tell them about your travels...It's not about residence, it's about where you are and the amount they will give you....

Archived