UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

3 hours ago, solo46 said:

Is that wot was stated   Old Age pension?   nothing to do with other pensions its shunted into

Basically yes.

From your tax return HMRC knows your income from work pensions etc (that are UK based) and you are given a tax code. The tax code tells you how much you earned in a year and from that the tax code says how much you "earn".

Every tax payer gets an tax free allowance and you can earn X amount tax free and from there to I think £32,400 is taxed at 20%, and with more earnings the tax rate goes up.

Some people live offshore but keep an address in the UK because if you live in the UK you are sometimes entitled to extra allowances which was the point of the thread. One of the payments is the state pension goes up every year by an amount which you receive automatically. If for example you really live in Thailand then your state pension is frozen at the rate when you left the UK.

If you really live offshore and claim the extra funds you are effectively stealing those funds.

If HMRC finds out then they can claim the funds back from your income even if you only have the state pension. They must however ensure that you have enough to live on and they will tell you how much they will take and you can appeal if you think it is too much.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sumrit said:

As an example, if you started receiving your state pension before April 2010 and were either married or had dependent children under the age of 18 at the time you would have received the extra dependency allowance you were entitled to when you retired (and you're still married/have dependents under 18) If you also paid into the Government GSP/SERPS for a large portion of your working life, those additions to your personal state pension would (almost) definitely take you way over the personal tax allowance threshold and you will pay income tax on the state pension you receive today. My mate is in exactly that position (he retired in 2006).

I am in the same position as your mate and even with the extra dependency allowance I am still under the tax threshold. As I have 3 pensions I still pay income tax and have done since I left school at 15 and will do until I die.

No taxation without representation. It worked for the USA so it should work for us.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

get 10% of your wife's/husbands allowance if she/he has one and doesn't use it all. this would give you an allowance of 110% of the current rate

That will assume that your wife has registered with HMRC and if she is paying NI contributions in her own right. When she retires she will be entitled to a state pension for herself.

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

If HMRC finds out then they can claim the funds back from your income even if you only have the state pension. They must however ensure that you have enough to live on and they will tell you how much they will take and you can appeal if you think it is too much.

Rubbish. It is Old age Pension,it is dealt with as Old Age Pension.Read the DWP website....Just where did this nugget of information come from?  is it guess work?    Clearly states any other benefits that are attached to the Old age Pension maybe be adjusted....nothing more,nothing less

13 minutes ago, solo46 said:

Rubbish. It is Old age Pension,it is dealt with as Old Age Pension.Read the DWP website....Just where did this nugget of information come from?  is it guess work?    Clearly states any other benefits that are attached to the Old age Pension maybe be adjusted....nothing more,nothing less

Are you in the receiving the State Pension?

I have been getting mine since 2009 so 10 years of it.

Even before that time I talked to HMRC and found out what I was entitled to and was informed that as I live in Thailand the rate would be frozen from the day I got it.

If you are so sure of your facts why don't you post the relevant links to enlighten us all.

Meanwhile here is a starter for you.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Overpayment-Recovery---Guidelines-on-the-Recovery-of-Debt-by.aspx

2. General information regarding overpayments

2.1 What is an Overpayment?

An overpayment is any social welfare assistance or benefit payment which the person who received the amount was not entitled to receive. While legislation and these guidelines relate to all overpayments in all statutory schemes, the same principles may be applied, on an administrative basis, to the non-statutory schemes such as Free Fuel, Back to Work Allowance etc.

2.2 What is a Debt?

A debt is any money owed to the Department arising from an overpayment to a person. A debt may consist of an overpayment or a number of overpayments. Where recovery is being sought for moneys owed to the Department, the amount sought should be the total debt outstanding and not just the amount of the individual overpayment.

Note: Where a debt consists of a number of overpayments any recovery received will be offset against the oldest overpayment first. The age of the overpayment is determined by the date of its entry on the ODM system.

2.3 How do Overpayments arise?

Overpayments can arise on foot of a revised decision by a Deciding Officer or a Designated Person (formerly Community Welfare Officer) and in certain other circumstances.

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Are you in the receiving the State Pension?

I have been getting mine since 2009 so 10 years of it.

Even before that time I talked to HMRC and found out what I was entitled to and was informed that as I live in Thailand the rate would be frozen from the day I got it.

If you are so sure of your facts why don't you post the relevant links to enlighten us all.

Meanwhile here is a starter for you.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Overpayment-Recovery---Guidelines-on-the-Recovery-of-Debt-by.aspx

2. General information regarding overpayments

2.1 What is an Overpayment?

An overpayment is any social welfare assistance or benefit payment which the person who received the amount was not entitled to receive. While legislation and these guidelines relate to all overpayments in all statutory schemes, the same principles may be applied, on an administrative basis, to the non-statutory schemes such as Free Fuel, Back to Work Allowance etc.

2.2 What is a Debt?

A debt is any money owed to the Department arising from an overpayment to a person. A debt may consist of an overpayment or a number of overpayments. Where recovery is being sought for moneys owed to the Department, the amount sought should be the total debt outstanding and not just the amount of the individual overpayment.

Note: Where a debt consists of a number of overpayments any recovery received will be offset against the oldest overpayment first. The age of the overpayment is determined by the date of its entry on the ODM system.

2.3 How do Overpayments arise?

Overpayments can arise on foot of a revised decision by a Deciding Officer or a Designated Person (formerly Community Welfare Officer) and in certain other circumstances.

11 hours ago, solo46 said:

Not repeating that waffle,The OAP sits in a section that is removed from most other benefits,the same rules do not apply.    Cannot be reclaimed,reduced or stopped,only for proof of life it can be suspended,for the pensioner,no fraud can be committed and none directly penalised

1 hour ago, solo46 said:

Not repeating that waffle,The OAP sits in a section that is removed from most other benefits,the same rules do not apply.    Cannot be reclaimed,reduced or stopped,only for proof of life it can be suspended,for the pensioner,no fraud can be committed and none directly penalised

This is plainly wrong , as evidenced that entitlement to state pension is suspended if the pensioner receives a custodial sentence

13 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

This is plainly wrong , as evidenced that entitlement to state pension is suspended if the pensioner receives a custodial sentence

Well yes.or is an in patient in a nhs hospital,but then fine straws are being plucked here...Like this,discussed frequently, those unfrozen are still posting,those frozen are still posting,nothing changes,not bothered,not one bit,just the fact someone may just  be influenced to their detriment in future years,not may,but will.   Anyway 2.6 ain't bad,along with other pension rises,just get the pound up..perfect 

2 hours ago, solo46 said:

Prove it.

Link it to something that can be verified and not the "I have a friend who said xxx".

I gave you a link that can be checked and verified.

All I get from you is nothing but your opinion.

Put up or don't bother to reply.

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Prove it.

Link it to something that can be verified and not the "I have a friend who said xxx".

I gave you a link that can be checked and verified.

All I get from you is nothing but your opinion.

Put up or don't bother to reply.

Had enough from this thread,it has been posted regularly over the years,links whatever,you just ignore the stuff and carry on regardless,never mind,it brings comfort I know to followers of same ilk..   Thats a joke,all this thread is 'my mate"...'I know someone"  etc etc etc,all its ever been.   Its there DWP site,IM not bothering,stay frozen

28 minutes ago, solo46 said:

Well yes.or is an in patient in a nhs hospital,but then fine straws are being plucked here...Like this,discussed frequently, those unfrozen are still posting,those frozen are still posting,nothing changes,not bothered,not one bit,just the fact someone may just  be influenced to their detriment in future years,not may,but will.   Anyway 2.6 ain't bad,along with other pension rises,just get the pound up..perfect 

Can you provide reference for state pension and in-patient NHS, I am aware some benefits are affected but not state pension

29 minutes ago, solo46 said:

Had enough from this thread,it has been posted regularly over the years,links whatever,you just ignore the stuff and carry on regardless,never mind,it brings comfort I know to followers of same ilk..   Thats a joke,all this thread is 'my mate"...'I know someone"  etc etc etc,all its ever been.   Its there DWP site,IM not bothering,stay frozen

OK. Goodbye

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am in the same position as your mate and even with the extra dependency allowance I am still under the tax threshold. As I have 3 pensions I still pay income tax and have done since I left school at 15 and will do until I die.

Your pension is probably under the personal allowance tax threshold because:

1. your pension has been frozen because you live in Thailand, and

2. You paid into private while you paid into pension schemes you weren't paying into SERPS. Your state pension would (probably) have been reduced still further to take into account that your private pension payments reduced the NI payments you were being stopped, plus were also treated as a tax-free allowance. (because you started receiving your pension in 2009 I'm not sure if these restrictions applied then or were new rules that applied post-April 2010)

But enjoy the dependency allowance while you still can...........I believe, unfortunately, it will end in April 2020.

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

Your pension is probably under the personal allowance tax threshold because:

1. your pension has been frozen because you live in Thailand, and

2. You paid into private while you paid into pension schemes you weren't paying into SERPS. Your state pension would (probably) have been reduced still further to take into account that your private pension payments reduced the NI payments you were being stopped, plus were also treated as a tax-free allowance. (because you started receiving your pension in 2009 I'm not sure if these restrictions applied then or were new rules that applied post-April 2010)

But enjoy the dependency allowance while you still can...........I believe, unfortunately, it will end in April 2020.

I know my pension is frozen here in Thailand.

I did serve 25 years in the RAF which earned me the Armed Forces pension.

4 years working for the Home Office followed by 1 year with Vodafone and 10 years with Motorola. I got my NI contributions rolled over from the Home Office to Vodafone to Motorola.

In 1999 I quit the company to go contracting and paid class 2 contributions to get me to the 44 years contributions necessary for the state pension at the time. I have no idea how many years are needed now. I know that it is less than 44 years but the barstewards didn't give me a refund and I am still getting taxed.

"But enjoy the dependency allowance while you still can...........I believe, unfortunately, it will end in April 2020."

That day will be like "black tot" day for the RN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tot_Day

Black Tot Day (31 July 1970) was the last day on which the Royal Navy issued sailors with a daily rum ration (the daily tot).

I may spend the last of my wife's allowance on a bottle of Captain Morgans Black spiced rum. I can't get Pussers here in Thailand.

????????

On 3/30/2019 at 11:45 AM, billd766 said:

Black Tot Day (31 July 1970) was the last day on which the Royal Navy issued sailors with a daily rum ration (the daily tot).

I may spend the last of my wife's allowance on a bottle of Captain Morgans Black spiced rum. I can't get Pussers here in Thailand.

????????

My brother came of age to draw the tot the day before it was scrapped, always a bone of contention that I drew more tots in the RAF than he ever did in the navy. I did Wessex training at Lee on Solent and spent 10 days on the Fearless when I was out in the gulf. Navy guys always said that Woods was the nearest to navy rum.

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

My brother came of age to draw the tot the day before it was scrapped, always a bone of contention that I drew more tots in the RAF than he ever did in the navy. I did Wessex training at Lee on Solent and spent 10 days on the Fearless when I was out in the gulf. Navy guys always said that Woods was the nearest to navy rum.

I would love to get hold of genuine Pussers rum but it isn't imported to Thailand.

https://up-spirits.com/

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I would love to get hold of genuine Pussers rum but it isn't imported to Thailand.

https://up-spirits.com/

Looks like a bit of a gimmick Bill, they claim it is a copy of the navy recipe but who knows. The rum used by the navy wasn't bottled, came in small steel kegs if I remember right. Never knew what it really tasted like, junior ranks had to have it mixed with water, 2 parts water to 1 part rum, only the senior ranks got it neat.

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

Looks like a bit of a gimmick Bill, they claim it is a copy of the navy recipe but who knows. The rum used by the navy wasn't bottled, came in small steel kegs if I remember right. Never knew what it really tasted like, junior ranks had to have it mixed with water, 2 parts water to 1 part rum, only the senior ranks got it neat.

When I was in Singapore I was a member of the gliding club.

The barman was a colour Sgt in the Marines and in his room he had bottles of the stuff, it went down a treat after a long day winching gliders.

I found this in my email inbox this morning.

Every little helps.

Dear ICBP Supporter,

With Brexit dominating everything vaguely political in the U.K. we have put almost everything on hold until it is worth trying again to attract MPs' attention.

However, from time to time something arises in which we can participate and the Daily Express has produced a poll in one of their article which relates to frozen pensions. It takes a bit of digging though to get to where you vote but it is worth persisting. 

Click on this link - https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1107185/State-pension-UK-how-much-is-state-pension-2019-amount

Scroll down, answering any questions on cookies by accepting them, until you get to a semi greyed out picture of a couple of pensioners with text across it saying 'Does living abroad mean you're unable to get state pension amount rise from April 6th 2019?'

You can vote immediately below that text.

Please pass this to any frozen pension so that they may also vote.

John J Duffy - Chairman, ICBP

Got my pension this morning as usual and then realised it was last day of the tax year. Looking back at last year I was paid on first day of the tax year, making 14 payments this year rather than the normal 13.

The state pension works on a 364 day cycle so every year there is a day in hand, taking the leap years into account it means a bonus payment every 21 years.

Glad to have got mine, not going to see another.

Another update from the ICBP.

I had no trouble with the link but others may.

839 votes so far.

Dear ICBP Supporter,

In my previous e-mail I did indicate that it was quite difficult to find the poll in the Express article and quite a few of you have contacted me saying you are unable to find it.

Below is a picture of what you should be looking for.  Click on Yes, it's so unfortunate in order to vote.

To start again, click on this link

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1107185/State-pension-UK-how-much-is-state-pension-2019-amount

and scroll down until you see the picture below then vote.

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

839 votes so far.

Dear ICBP Supporter,

In my previous e-mail I did indicate that it was quite difficult to find the poll in the Express article and quite a few of you have contacted me saying you are unable to find it.

Below is a picture of what you should be looking for.  Click on Yes, it's so unfortunate in order to vote.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1107185/State-pension-UK-how-much-is-state-pension-2019-amount

I had trouble opening the link Bill, but switched my vpn on and it opened immediately. Voted.

I wonder how many UK ex pats married to Thais have forgotten they are going to loose a substantial part of their UK state pension income when they stop payment of the dependents allowance part of their pension in April 2020. They will be in for a huge shock when they receive the letter from the DWP informing them of this fact.

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

839 votes so far.

Dear ICBP Supporter,

No problem with the link and voted.

I wonder how many UK ex pats married to Thais have forgotten they are going to loose a substantial part of their UK state pension income when they stop payment of the dependents allowance part of their pension in April 2020. They will be in for a huge shock when they receive the letter from the DWP informing them of this fact.
I very much doubt that anyone has forgoten that.been preparing for it ,in fact i was very lucky to get it ,thanks dad for not waiting to roger mum and get her pregers just before you got married ,or i would have missed out lol

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are probably right but its very hard to prepare for a loss of over 3000 pounds yearly income with a frozen pension, pitiful bank interest rates on savings accounts and a 20% drop of income due to the weakness of the pound. However I too just scraped into it with the same conditions applying has you!

5cf9376f-a215-41a9-8c00-3a1192b885dc.jpg

Dear ICBP Supporter,

Thank you so much to the many who voted in the Express poll, which now records 90% of respondents as living with a ‘frozen pension’, we have truly made our voices heard and my apologies again to those who had trouble accessing the poll. I am now writing to ask for your help with building our campaign on the ground in the UK. What we would like you to do is to contact your family and friends in the UK to ask them to take a stand on the issue of frozen pensions and join the UK-based campaign at https://endfrozenpensions.org/family-member-sign-up-form/.

The Government have once again laid the Statutory Instrument that denies us our full state pensions for another year. Our campaign team in the UK are working hard to disrupt this in the UK by enlisting MPs to lay questions on the issue and call on the Speaker and the House Authorities to separate the issue of frozen pensions from the other important social security benefit increases in the Statutory Instrument, so that MPs get a fair chance to vote on the issue.

Sir Peter Bottomley MP has bravely laid an Early Day Motion praying against the Statutory Instrument – but this puts him in the position of having to stand against other important social security benefits, most MPs are not willing to do this.

What we need is for our supporters in the UK to contact their MPs and call on them to take a stand.

MPs are much more likely to respond to the calls of their constituents and so I ask if you can encourage all your family and friends who are still based in the UK to sign up to the campaign at this form https://endfrozenpensions.org/family-member-sign-up-form/ to register their willingness to help so that our campaign team can contact them with ways they can support our cause.

John J Duffy - Chairman, ICBP

Archived