UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

5 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

In my case i did not tell them i was living in Thailand, about 10 months later my UK pension stopped dead, i contacted them via post as to to why this had happened, they said letters sent my old address had been returned, and to give my new address which i did, giving my Thai address, (as i had no other) they were very civil, i was not fined or asked to return the money overpaid, just my weekly pension dropped backed to where it was before i moved to Thailand since an yearly increase had happened in the above mentioned, i think it's very unfair to not get the paltry annual increase, which if you lived in Singapore you get, but not in Thailand!

No you don't! The nearest is the Philippines.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

However I was clearly told that it is frozen from the later of either the date you reach state pension age (65 in my case) or when you emigrated.

I was told that by the first operative I spoke to when I was considering deferring mine for a few weeks to enable be to receive the new rate from April, I said I thought she was wrong.
My birthday is towards the end of March and when I reached 65 I'd already been living here for five years, I wanted to defer for five weeks, I think that's the minimum, so I'd get the higher rate from April, when I called to actually claim I was told that my pension would be frozen at the rate in effect at the time I claimed, and that's what I received.
Any of you guys who are receiving Civil Service Pensions will be aware that there's a small abatement when you reach State Pension age, if your pension is frozen advise MyCSP and they will arrange for that abatement to be cancelled and you'll then get the increase on the full amount.
It's already been mentioned that you can, and should, claim the full rate when you visit the UK, but don't forget that it you're visiting the EU during your trip, or en route, to claim for that as well as you'll also get the increases whilst you're there - for the time being anyway.  

On 4/13/2019 at 11:23 AM, ThaiBunny said:

That is because NZ and Australia require everyone leaving the country go through passport control. The UK & the US have no outwards passport control. I have one friend from the UK who finds it highly amusing that he still gets a heating allowance with his UK pension even though he has lived here more than 20 years.  Interestingly he has been back to the UK several times, so they're aware that he travels

Nothing surprising there. The heating allowance is not related to state pension, kicks in at 60. You only apply once and it is automatic from then on so it would continue to be paid unless something came up. I lost my heating allowance when my state pension started.

There was a debate many years ago about the elderly taking winter holidays and it was decided that the paperwork involved in checking up and then multiple applications would cost more that the allowance itself.

19 hours ago, evadgib said:

2. No, current data protection legislation doesn't allow cross-pollination.

That is not strictly true. When I tried to renew my driving licence online it asked for my passport number, just the number so they must have had some sort of access.

I abandoned that idea and applied by post.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

That is not strictly true. When I tried to renew my driving licence online it asked for my passport number, just the number so they must have had some sort of access.

I abandoned that idea and applied by post.

...that's because;

a) It supports the fact that it's you &

b  ) If the Ppt is less than 5yrs old they'll use the photo for your DL.

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Not related then?

No they are not related. I lost my heating allowance because I applied for my state pension on the overseas application form. The following winter I got a letter to say my heating allowance would be £0 due to non entitlement. The DWP must have shared the information.

The heating allowance is related to age and residency, not the state pension.

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

...that's because;

a) It supports the fact that it's you &

b  ) If the Ppt is less than 5yrs old they'll use the photo for your DL.

What happened to  "current data protection legislation doesn't allow cross-pollination."

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What happened to  "current data protection legislation doesn't allow cross-pollination."

"Cross pollination" implies that they'll do it routinely. What i have just described requires the prior consent of the person concerned and cannot happen without it.

34 minutes ago, evadgib said:

"Cross pollination" implies that they'll do it routinely. What i have just described requires the prior consent of the person concerned and cannot happen without it.

That may be your understanding so you should avoid the ambiguous phrases. I, and I suspect many others, would see "Cross pollination" as implying the sharing of information irrespective of the how and why.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Under government connect various departments do indeed legally share your information between themselves. I lost my heating allowance (administer separately)after  I reported to HMRC I was moving abroad so I could get my rental paid gross. Renew your passport over here via Trendy and they can  get to know . Data protection does not apply 

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I was told that by the first operative I spoke to when I was considering deferring mine for a few weeks to enable be to receive the new rate from April, I said I thought she was wrong.
My birthday is towards the end of March and when I reached 65 I'd already been living here for five years, I wanted to defer for five weeks, I think that's the minimum, so I'd get the higher rate from April, when I called to actually claim I was told that my pension would be frozen at the rate in effect at the time I claimed, and that's what I received.
Any of you guys who are receiving Civil Service Pensions will be aware that there's a small abatement when you reach State Pension age, if your pension is frozen advise MyCSP and they will arrange for that abatement to be cancelled and you'll then get the increase on the full amount.
It's already been mentioned that you can, and should, claim the full rate when you visit the UK, but don't forget that it you're visiting the EU during your trip, or en route, to claim for that as well as you'll also get the increases whilst you're there - for the time being anyway.  

Interesting. When I initially communicated by email I had a response when I was told the rate was at later of age 65 or when you emigrated which was contrary to my understanding. When I called the operative confirmed this and when I queried that she double checked with another and reconfirmed that. I haven’t yet had my letter but will recheck. It would be odd if 3 people consistently got it incorrect....

This is annoying to me, I don't get my UK State pension for 2 years yet, but I do get a Civil Service pension. Both of them will be taxed in the UK - even if I got nonresident status, those are still subject to UK tax. So, I'll be paying tax to the UK on a pension that will never increase. 

I do still have a correspondence address in the UK (a relatives address) so, in 2 years, I will have to decide whether to use that or not.  I know that it's against the rules and, given my previous employment, I can hardly plead ignorance, even so, I may take my chances on that route. 

Life is never simple. ????

6 hours ago, denby45 said:

I agree it is going to be very difficult for them bearing in mind the concentration of effort is trying to identify the people who are claiming Non Residence to avoiding paying tax rather than the other way around where people are remaining resident when they are actually not. The Non Residency test was introduced mainly for the purpose of tax dodgers. Pensioners claiming a few quid a week extra (at the beginning) are low on their list of duties.

Den

That's the plan. Under the radar. 

31 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

This is annoying to me, I don't get my UK State pension for 2 years yet, but I do get a Civil Service pension. Both of them will be taxed in the UK - even if I got nonresident status, those are still subject to UK tax. So, I'll be paying tax to the UK on a pension that will never increase. 

How often we see we are playing a game where the Gov't can move the goal posts any time they like. In addition to the above, I received a letter from DWP saying my pension has been postponed and I would not now receive it until I am 66. Anyone else got this?

5cf9376f-a215-41a9-8c00-3a1192b885dc.jpg

Dear ICBP Supporter,

Having said we were putting things on hold until the Brexit mess is out of the picture, things keep coming our way.

Sir Peter Bottomley has put down an Early Day Motion to pray against the Statutory Instrument which automatically continues the freezing of our pensions, usually with most MPs being unaware of what is being done in their names.

This is a chance to correct the farce.  Below is the e-mail I have written to my MP.  If you wish, please use it as a guide to write to MPs and, more particularly, get U.K. voters to write to their MPs.

As a voter in your constituency, I request that you support EDM 2265 which is to pray against Social Security Benefits Up-rating Regulations 2019 S.I. 2019, No. 552.

I appreciate that this Statutory Instrument covers more than frozen pensions and that to pray against it will adversely affect others.  However, this is the fault of the government in their attempt to manipulate MPs into continuing to vote to freeze the pensions of 510,000 British pensioners.  A vote to freeze pensions, or otherwise, should be separated from other totally unrelated social security benefits.

Please lend your support to the EDM and please encourage your colleagues to do likewise.

If we get enough MPs to support this EDM we may, at last, get a genuine debate on frozen pensions in the House of Commons.  Don't let this chance slip though our fingers.

John J Duffy - Chairman, ICBP

11 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Next year should be even more exciting, if i'm correct in saying the marriage allowance stops in 2020. in my case if i remember correctly was roughly £68 a week, lets hope i'm wrong!

You are correct  -  it ceases in 2020.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, fcgprg said:

Your State Pension will be the amount that is due to you from the date you claim it. If you have a Government gateway account you can check the current amount you will get when you claim your state pension.

Thanks, this is what I have done & checked my NI payment records which I owe £30 for the tax year 2015/2016 which will bring me upto 31 years of full NI payments, 35 years are required to get the full amount of state pension or a min of 10 years to get anything at all, I have also attached a spreadsheet which you can enter your NI payment in years paid & the Thai exchange rate, I have based the state pension in my spredsheet on the triple lock system meaning the state pension has to increase by a min of 2.5% a year or until 2022 when this is up for debate by the UK government if they will carry on with this system of the triple lock.

Pension Rates.xlsx

45 minutes ago, transam said:

Thanks for the link I saw this on BBC news & this is why I started this post as its very important to us all, I came here when I was 45 (Nov 2015) & the new state pension was introduced in (Apr 2016 at £7169 per year based on 35 years of full NI payments when I get to 67 I am allowed State Pension if I am still alive by them 555 this will be worth £12,111 per year based on 2.5% increase year by year via the triple lock system which pays a min of 2.5% a year for State Pension increases but if my pension is frozen at the rate when I came to live here in 2015 this is a big difference & a big drop of close to £5k per year   

20 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Thanks for the link I saw this on BBC news & this is why I started this post as its very important to us all, I came here when I was 45 (Nov 2015) & the new state pension was introduced in (Apr 2016 at £7169 per year based on 35 years of full NI payments when I get to 67 I am allowed State Pension if I am still alive by them 555 this will be worth £12,111 per year based on 2.5% increase year by year via the triple lock system which pays a min of 2.5% a year for State Pension increases but if my pension is frozen at the rate when I came to live here in 2015 this is a big difference & a big drop of close to £5k per year   

If nothing changes you will get your pension at the rate the day you retire, doesn't matter how long you have been out of the country before hand. NI payments will be what matters at the time of retirement, you just hope they don't increase the number of years and/or you cannot claim it until you are 90....????

15 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Under government connect various departments do indeed legally share your information between themselves. I lost my heating allowance (administer separately)after  I reported to HMRC I was moving abroad so I could get my rental paid gross. Renew your passport over here via Trendy and they can  get to know . Data protection does not apply 

I lost my heating allowance in the same way.

15 hours ago, DefaultName said:

So, I'll be paying tax to the UK on a pension that will never increase. 

Not only that, about 12% of the tax will go towards the state pension liability. Partially funding your own pension.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Archived