Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/4/2018 at 7:15 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

The Tories should tell the people something like this:

We totally f#%# it up. It was our mistake and here are the consequences.

We will cancel Brexit today.

We all will resign.

We dissolve our party. We didn't do anything good for the country so what's the point of keeping it.

Let's have new election and then you, the voters, should elect someone competent.

I guess you have someone "competent" in mind, because I certainly do not.  The likely other party to take over from the Conservatives would be Labour, presumably with Corbyn as its leader and eventual PM.  If so, God help us all. He is already talking about spending more than the country's income, thereby raising its debt level, just like all previous Labour Governments, since they never seem to learn from their mistakes.  Higher spending resulting inevitably to higher taxes, as if the current personal tax rates and the 20% VAT rate plus all the other taxes are already not enough.

The latest "non-binding" statement from the ECJ is designed to encourage UK MP's to vote to turn down May's deal and vote to stay in the EU.  If that happened, we would soon find out that the terms of staying in would not be the same as they were before, with many of the previous concessions being denied.  Reaction in the country, with or without a second referendum , should the latter result in a "remain" vote would also be a kick in the teeth for about 50% of the voters who previously voted to leave. Would they have the right to demand a third referendum, if the EU changed the re-entry conditions?

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Put the decision to the electorate.

That's what they did in 2016: an OVERWHELMING and eclatant majority of 51,88% of the votes were for a BREXIT, whatever, as there were no limiting consequences mentioned in the text of this referendum. And as every Brit could inform his/or herself unlimited on Internet... when you burn your bottom, you have to sit on the blisters… 

Remind: 5 June 1975 a 67% of the British supported the EU membership.

staying  in EU means being in the euro army ,using the euro and other nasty ideas with germans in control .closer unity to the federal state of europe .another ref wont vote for that as voters will be better informed next time around if it should happen..so likely to be leave again and again

It is not the results of June , but the results of the negotiations 

that need a referendum IMO,  

If that were the case, the proposed referendum would be a choice of HOW we leave, not IF. I don't think that is what is being suggested. Certainly not by remainers.

Having the choice to remain on the vote means that you are rerunning a referendum that already took place two years ago. And if you are going to do that, you are setting a precedent from which there is no return.

How exactly will you justify denying the losers of this new referendum, another shot at winning another referendum in another couple of years time?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

staying  in EU means being in the euro army ,using the euro and other nasty ideas with germans in control .closer unity to the federal state of europe .another ref wont vote for that as voters will be better informed next time around if it should happen..so likely to be leave again and again

I live in KENT, and want to be completely independant from London. Out of the British army, out of the British piund and away from London control. Back to the times of king Æthelred, when we were masters of our own territory.

Reuters charts possibilities from here 

DtqR1waXQAALn02.jpg

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu/investors-recalibrate-chances-of-brexit-reversal-after-may-defeats-idUSKBN1O418B?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

He placed a 10 percent probability on a no-deal Brexit, down from 20 percent, and a 50 percent probability on an orderly Brexit, down from 60 percent. The chance of no Brexit at all doubled to 40 percent from 20 percent, in a sign of perhaps the biggest shift in perception since the 2016 vote to leave.

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

We have a representative democracy

The referendum did not bind parliament

Facts  of life ,  UK does  not not have free democracy , as we once had . 

Electorate , are now  bombarded  with professionall chancers , NIGEL Farage  ,the  gifted golden mouth, has now done a runner left UKIP ,  with his tail  betweeen his  golden balls .     Boris Baboon,   needs  to be sectioned asap.

Then we have party whips  , bullying our elected Members to  vote  for the best interests  of the party. not the country..

their pensions are  at risk OMG,,,, certainly   they will vote ,  as per whips instructions, or else dire consequences .

Demoncracy and Politics ,    do not  miss well ,  .

18 minutes ago, tebee said:

DtqR1waXQAALn02.jpg

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu/investors-recalibrate-chances-of-brexit-reversal-after-may-defeats-idUSKBN1O418B?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

He placed a 10 percent probability on a no-deal Brexit, down from 20 percent, and a 50 percent probability on an orderly Brexit, down from 60 percent. The chance of no Brexit at all doubled to 40 percent from 20 percent, in a sign of perhaps the biggest shift in perception since the 2016 vote to leave.

So according to Reuters, a Democratic Vote in the U.K will be overturned.

Well that’l make you and the other remoaners happy, especially those who no longer live in the U.K.

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

That's what they did in 2016: an OVERWHELMING and eclatant majority of 51,88% of the votes were for a BREXIT, whatever, as there were no limiting consequences mentioned in the text of this referendum. And as every Brit could inform his/or herself unlimited on Internet... when you burn your bottom, you have to sit on the blisters… 

Remind: 5 June 1975 a 67% of the British supported the EU membership.

Wrong. It was the EEC and was sold as the common market, not a political onion.

59 minutes ago, tebee said:

DtqR1waXQAALn02.jpg

You missed the gallbladder.

41 minutes ago, elliss said:

Electorate , are now  bombarded  with professionall chancersNIGEL Farage  ,the  gifted golden mouth, has now done a runner left UKIP ,  with his tail  betweeen his  golden balls .     Boris Baboon,   needs  to be sectioned asap.

Then we have party whips  , bullying our elected Members to  vote  for the best interests  of the party. not the country..

their pensions are  at risk OMG,,,, certainly   they will vote ,  as per whips instructions, or else dire consequences .

What a mess!

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

????

Oh God! I don't believe it!

I watched Piers Morgan by mistake this morning! What a useless moron. I liked his lady assistant though. The man does not know how to manage a show. We are interested in the guests' opinions not his!!

After all this time we now know why Nontabury hold the opinions he does! He watches the other side! Extraordinary!

By mistake. Right. ????

42 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Well that’l make you and the other remoaners happy, especially those who no longer live in the U.K.

Still only a 40% chance !

But those of us who live in the EU are more affected by this than those that live in the UK 

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

But those of us who live in the EU are more affected by this than those that live in the UK 

I agree, those of you who live in the E.u. 

Will no longer receive the U.K’s charitable contributions,when we leave.

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Electorate , are now  bombarded  with professionall chancers , NIGEL Farage  ,the  gifted golden mouth, has now done a runner left UKIP ,  with his tail  betweeen his  golden balls .     Boris Baboon,   needs  to be sectioned asap.

Don’t blame N.F. or UKIP for the majority of Brits now wanting to leave this so called Union. Put the blame firmly where it belongs, on those tin pot Bureaucrats in Brussels. If they, and our political masters had left the EEC as it was, a trading union, there would have been none of this upheaval.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

If it is, then it will either be by the democratically elected House of Commons or by another referendum.

But, imho, given Labour's stance on Brexit, mainly that party's stated desire to remain within the customs union, as do many Tory Brexiteers, that Norway plus will be Parliament's preferred option.

But as I asked here

how is that any better than remaining a full EU member?

Simple: it isn't, it's worse!

What an absurd statement that proves just how selfishly focused you are on your own interests, and that of the other 1 or 2% of the population of Britian not actually living there, living in other parts of the EU, ignoring the other 90 plus percent who haven't left the country and who have been living with the affects of being in the EU for the last 40 plus years, and whose lives WILL be dramatically affected one way or the other, dependent on how this all pans out.

It's as if you are completely oblivious that this is about the bigger picture beyond the life of tebee. It's about the future OF THE COUNTRY.

10 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I guess you have someone "competent" in mind, because I certainly do not. 

I also don't have someone competent in mind. But I guess somewhere in the whole UK there must be a few competent politicians - at least I hope so.

29 minutes ago, rixalex said:

What an absurd statement that proves just how selfishly focused you are on your own interests, and that of the other 1 or 2% of the population of Britian not actually living there, living in other parts of the EU, ignoring the other 90 plus percent who haven't left the country and who have been living with the affects of being in the EU for the last 40 plus years, and whose lives WILL be dramatically affected one way or the other, dependent on how this all pans out.

It's as if you are completely oblivious that this is about the bigger picture beyond the life of tebee. It's about the future OF THE COUNTRY.

I don't see any way brexit is going to make life better for most of the people in the UK either.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Remind us how much Lord Heseltine receives from the EU in farming subsidies, £90,000 a year is it, not biased there then.

But of course, the UK government promised farmers they'd match the grants post brexit

Archived