Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

I don't see any way brexit is going to make life better for most of the people in the UK either.
What happens after Brexit (if it ever happens), as much as some would like to believe otherwise, is unknown. We'll know when we get there. It may be fantastic. It may be awful. It may be something inbetween. Nobody knows.

What isn't unknown is what being in the EU is like. We have 40 plus years experience of that, and if the EU is as wonderful as Europhiles are always telling us, why is the country in the state it's in, and why are other EU member nations also in serious trouble? Not that the EU should take the blame for all of Europe's woes of course, but it does beg the question, or at least it should for those still capable of free thinking, is the EU project really working? If it isn't, is it capable of reform? History rather suggests not and if they come out of this Brexit battle having shown that it's really not possible to leave this organisation, even if you want to, chances are they'll feel their hand has been further strengthened. Next time the EU does something we don't like, what are we going to do? Threaten to leave? I think the laughter might just carry from Brussels to Bangkok.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, rixalex said:

What happens after Brexit (if it ever happens), as much as some would like to believe otherwise, is unknown. We'll know when we get there. It may be fantastic. It may be awful. It may be something inbetween. Nobody knows.
What isn't unknown is what being in the EU is like. We have 40 plus years experience of that, and if the EU is as wonderful as Europhiles are always telling us, why is the country in the state it's in, and why are other EU member nations also in serious trouble? Not that the EU should take the blame for all of Europe's woes of course, but it does beg the question, or at least it should for those still capable of free thinking, is the EU project really working? If it isn't, is it capable of reform? History rather suggests not and if they come out of this Brexit battle having shown that it's really not possible to leave this organisation, even if you want to, chances are they'll feel their hand has been further strengthened. Next time the EU does something we don't like, what are we going to do? Threaten to leave? I think the laughter might just carry from Brussels to Bangkok.

Total renta-waffle.

9 hours ago, nontabury said:

Don’t blame N.F. or UKIP for the majority of Brits now wanting to leave this so called Union. Put the blame firmly where it belongs, on those tin pot Bureaucrats in Brussels. If they, and our political masters had left the EEC as it was, a trading union, there would have been none of this upheaval.

Let's Go! Say the Tinpot Conspiracy Theorists.

For all the blather and bluster of the Hard Brexiteers here, there is one thing they cannot get past and that is that they cannot muster a majority in Parliament for their position. End result? Pull down Theresa May and get Jeremy Corbyn. Sense of reality should strike, but unfortunately a lot of these guys are Kamikaze Pilots, so crash and burn it is as they nail themselves into their cockpits with only fuel for mutual destruction. Sterling still watch out.

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Coming from the guys who seriously believe websites peddling Conspiracy Theory mush.

Well SW due to this site malfunctioning, it has taken me about 3 minutes to retrieve your post, was it worth waiting for, no it certainly wasn't. 

In future would you mind posting more sensibly please, it's really not worth the wait.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

Well SW due to this site malfunctioning, it has taken me about 3 minutes to retrieve your post, was it worth waiting for, no it certainly wasn't. 

In future would you mind posting more sensibly please, it's really not worth the wait.

Time to buy a faster laptop with those Brexit-devalued pounds maybe?

31 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

For all the blather and bluster of the Hard Brexiteers here, there is one thing they cannot get past and that is that they cannot muster a majority in Parliament for their position. End result? Pull down Theresa May and get Jeremy Corbyn. Sense of reality should strike, but unfortunately a lot of these guys are Kamikaze Pilots, so crash and burn it is as they nail themselves into their cockpits with only fuel for mutual destruction. Sterling still watch out.

You try to compare Brexiteers on "here" to a majority remainer UK Parliament. Real blather and bluster.

SW: If they were transparent, wholly accountable and danced to the tune of the EU electorate there's a good chance that we wouldn't have wanted to leave in the first place. Reform is needed and it's needed now.

& I should also add that any immigrants that have arrived illegally from say France (ie France was their last safe haven regardless of Nationality, having cherry-picked their way accross the continent seeking the softest touch) we (UK) should be able to automatically backload them & expect France to do same via their southern border until these queue-jumpers can be processed via the correct UN channels instead of taking the smugglers route that many genuine refugees or asylum seekers cannot afford. Britain is a very small Island that is bursting at the seams & the entire shooting match needs to be urgently overhauled.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Adding 'Proportional Representation' to my previous observation might help in future elections; indeed Ferage might have won by a landslide were it already in place.

2 hours ago, rixalex said:

Please tell me the clear tangible benefit for this gamble.

37 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Adding 'Proportional Representation' to my previous observation might help in future elections; indeed Ferage might have won by a landslide were it already in place.

Proportional representation? .....'er the UK has already had a referendum on that one. Want another?

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

How do we stop Brexit but avoid Corbyn? If CONS agree to go Norway plus, would that work?

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

You try to compare Brexiteers on "here" to a majority remainer UK Parliament. Real blather and bluster.

Agreement at last. Hard Brexiteers acknowledge that they don't have any majority in Parliament. Just irrelevant here. Carry on.

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

How do we stop Brexit but avoid Corbyn? If CONS agree to go Norway plus, would that work?

The question is what is possible given the current scenario. The primary objective is to avoid a disorderly exit beloved by the Hard Brexiteers. 

23 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Proportional representation? .....'er the UK has already had a referendum on that one. Want another?

'Serial replays' aren't my thing but I guess the usual culprits scuppered that too. I wonder why?

Image result for MP expenses scandal

29 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Agreement at last. Hard Brexiteers acknowledge that they don't have any majority in Parliament. Just irrelevant here. Carry on.

For Hard Brexiteer read Brexiteer; All we expect & voted for is to leave the EU, all of it and permanently. They will implode in due course & for as long as we remain unbillically connected they'll try to take us with them.

38 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Is Norway type of deal still offered by the EU? Will it be, when the UK parliament votes down the May deal?

49 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Does anyone here or anywhere for that matter want a Norway +, isn't it worse than what have got/going to get/might not get. This is what the Norwegian Prime minister said about it.

The prime minister of Norway asked why the U.K. would want a relationship with the EU that’s similar to the one her country has with the bloc.

Supporters of a soft Brexit often cite a version of the “Norway model” — with close regulatory alignment with Brussels and membership of the single market — as a less economically damaging route out of the EU.

But during a POLITICO interview in Brussels Tuesday, Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg pointed out that it would mean Britain continuing to abide by the four EU freedoms, including freedom of movement, as well as having no decision-making power in Brussels. “Then I should just ask why … should you leave the EU if you’re accepting that?” she said.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

IMO Norway sounds worse than staying in and has even been questioned by their PM ????

Every Brexit scenario is worse than the year 2015 status for both EU and UK. 

But as this has gone for so long, is there a political will inside EU to let UK to change the deal as it's not something UK can do by herself. 

If I understood correctly Norway was not eager to allow UK's large economy to join EFTA for couple of years as it would change the power balance quite significantly for smaller members. 

43 minutes ago, evadgib said:

For Hard Brexiteer read Brexiteer; All we expect & voted for is to leave the EU, all of it and permanently. They will implode in due course & for as long as we remain unbillically connected they'll try to take us with them.

Yeah, yeah, we know the Hard Brexiteers want to sell that story, but no sale except to themselves. In the real world in Parliament HB does not prevail. Got it?

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Yeah, yeah, we know the Hard Brexiteers want to sell that story, but no sale except to themselves. In the real world in Parliament HB does not prevail. Got it?

There is no such thing as hard brexit, there is only brexit. We either leave the EU or we don't. There is also no such thing as a soft brexit, a soft brexit means leaving the EU in name only, once we get our foot trapped in the doors of Brussels, we will never extricate it, leaving us trapped forever. Some remainers seem to be quite happy with a make do arrangement and are willing to allow the EU to treat us like something the dog has dragged in, leavers it would seem have more pride and are willing to make a stance and go down fighting than be ridiculed, but each to his own I suppose.

David Cameron, the PM at the time explained quite eloquently and made it quite clear what voting to leave the EU meant, I would be quite happy to accept what he promised.

In the real world there is Brexit - Britain severing all main ties with the EU - and then there are a variety of pigs in lipstick that masquerade as Brexit (otherwise known as "soft Brexit options"), manufactured to win the hearts of the remainer crowd, who felt some begrudgingly duty to respect the vote, but wanted to do so without actually implementing that decision.

Archived