Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, vogie said:

There is no such thing as hard brexit, there is only brexit. We either leave the EU or we don't. There is also no such thing as a soft brexit, a soft brexit means leaving the EU in name only,

The Hard Brexiteers can argue the above position till the cows come home, till they are blue in the face, till the end of days, till hell freezes over, but they don't have a majority in Parliament to deliver, and that is where it matters now. 

head.gif

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The Hard Brexiteers can argue the above position till the cows come home, till they are blue in the face, till the end of days, till hell freezes over, but they don't have a majority in Parliament to deliver, and that is where it matters now. 

head.gif

Can I just re-iterate I am not an hard brexiteer, if I can make my position clear for you which you seem unable to comprehend. I am one of the majority that voted to leave the EU, no where did I state that we had a majority in the house, where did you stumble on that nugget. All I said was I would like a leave like the nice Mr Cameron promised us.

But moving on it would appear that Parliament has no intention of leaving the EU, it probably never has, doesn't that make you remainers happy. 

But I fear British politics and indeed democracy is dead, it needs a complete overal, the main parties are no use to man nor beast, I never thought in my life time that I would see the the British lie down and take a beating, and maybe live in a vassal state to endure a life of serfdom, maybe that is what we deserve after failing to unite together.????

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

But I fear British politics and indeed democracy is dead, it needs a complete overal, the main parties are no use to man nor beast, I never thought in my life time that I would see the the British lie down and take a beating, and maybe live in a vassal state to endure a life of serfdom, maybe that is what we deserve after failing to unite together.????

I have to say - I agree with this part, but for different reasons .

Brexit was never going to be a success when only half+ of the country wanted it. This is why proper referendums have supermajorities. All we have succeeded in doing is dividing the country and diverting attention from the internal problems that gave rise to the discontent that leave successfully channeled. 

Can I just re-iterate I am not an hard brexiteer, if I can make my position clear for you which you seem unable to comprehend. I am one of the majority that voted to leave the EU, no where did I state that we had a majority in the house, where did you stumble on that nugget. All I said was I would like a leave like the nice Mr Cameron promised us.

But moving on it would appear that Parliament has no intention of leaving the EU, it probably never has, doesn't that make you remainers happy. 

What I want, what I really, really want. Yeah, yeah, never mind, the point still remains that whatever it is that you want does not command a majority in Parliament. For now dead in the water and just so much throwing a wobble. Parliament is where the action is, not your wish list.

2 hours ago, tebee said:

The UK and UK politic in particular are so toxic now I can see why anyone would not want us.

The EU would only just prefer us to stay, because leaving without a deal causes so much trouble for other members.

And a loss of revenue. Plus the E.u would then represent a much smaller population,and with a smaller economic clout, would find themselves in a weaker position to negotiate with other economic powers.

22 minutes ago, tebee said:

I have to say - I agree with this part, but for different reasons .

Brexit was never going to be a success when only half+ of the country wanted it. This is why proper referendums have supermajorities. All we have succeeded in doing is dividing the country and diverting attention from the internal problems that gave rise to the discontent that leave successfully channeled. 

Half + 1,300,000, but lets not argue over the odd million or so.

21 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

What I want, what I really, really want. Yeah, yeah, never mind, the point still remains that whatever it is that you want does not command a majority in Parliament. For now dead in the water and just so much throwing a wobble. Parliament is where the action is, not your wish list.

It's all right for you, you are obviously from good stock, you could probably get a job as J C Junckers butler or a similar servile position, what about the rest of us, we'd be lucky to be thrown into the Bastille and fed bread and water with yearly visits from the Emperor Macron.

19 minutes ago, vogie said:

Half + 1,300,000, but lets not argue over the odd million or so.

Oh but I am going to argue.

Maths was never a brexiter strong point 

Votes for leave 17,410,742

Votes to remain 16,141,241

Total votes cast 33,551,983

half of this 16,775,991

Votes for leave - that half = 17,410,742 - 16,775,991 = 634,750

Which is a much smaller number ! (OK not quite an odd million) 

about 1 in 100 people - is this really an overwhelming majority ?

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

half of this 16,775,991

Votes to leave     17,410,742

Votes to remain.  16,141,241

My computer says 1,269,501

Why can't we just subtract the number of remainers from the number of leavers?

1 hour ago, vogie said:

the way it looks right now,

the only way to avoid vassal and serfdom would be a hard Brexit

hasn't got massive traction in parliament

Westminster seems to be packed with serfs and vassal diggers

I for one shall miss Nontabury's memes.....which seem to have mysteriously disappeared...or the drive bys that say "we're leaving on March 29th - suck it up Remoaners". Could I take this opportunity to thank George Soros for making it all possible? That £100 he paypalled me for working occasionally on Thai Visa forum will come in useful. Mind you Grouse is in line for a bumper bonus along with tebee , Alex Rich and other unamed heroes of the Soros New World Army.

Image result for brexit leave memes

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Votes to leave     17,410,742

Votes to remain.  16,141,241

My computer says 1,269,501

Why can't we just subtract the number of remainers from the number of leavers?

that is the majority - which isn't the same as the number  more than half the voters 

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Everything is worse than staying in but at least we would not be the EU that hated by the poorly informed. Remaingin CU would give us negotiating rights

Norway's PM doesn't want us in EFTA. Not surprised.

After all that "well we'll sign up for the treaty, but not honor it afterwards" nonsense in parliament  , Norway doesn't trust us now either.

DtuwvEDWsAEQNsK.jpg

There was 1,300,000 more votes for leave than remain, am I correct?

Yes, but my original post referred to "half+" which isn't the same thing.

if 634,751 people had changed their mind and voted the other way remain would have won.

1 hour ago, tebee said:

half of this 16,775,991

Oh stop it! I spilt my beer ????

1 hour ago, tebee said:

In a democracy there is is no requirement for “overwhelming”... the word “majority” is what matters.

Tebee, having you argue that maths is not a strong point for Brexiteers really does take the biscuit.

Archived