retirement visa

There is no law that says you can’t borrow the money. The money is supposed to come from abroad, but immigration do not, as a general rule, enforce that when processing an extension of stay.

It is definitely a dodgy practice, but what, if any, laws get broken is debatable and dependent on how it’s done.

If I lend my mate money for 3 months I don’t see what law is broken. The regulations simply state that the funds must be in an account in the applicants name for the requisite 2/3 months.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is no law that says you can’t borrow the money. The money is supposed to come from abroad, but immigration do not, as a general rule, enforce that when processing an extension of stay.

It is definitely a dodgy practice, but what, if any, laws get broken is debatable and dependent on how it’s done.

If I lend my mate money for 3 months I don’t see what law is broken. The regulations simply state that the funds must be in an account in the applicants name for the requisite 2/3 months.

I agree but in effect is the 'spirit' of the law not being circumvented, as in shell companies being used for land ownership?

That money is expected as financial means of support for the subsequent year.

As to OP, are you asking someone to advise you when your Embassy has already informed you it is illegal?

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I agree but in effect is the 'spirit' of the law not being circumvented, as in shell companies being used for land ownership?

As to OP, are you asking someone to advise you when your Embassy has already informed you it is illegal?

When did the embassies say this?

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Agreed, in the spirit of the rules it's wrong. But the question is about legality, and in many cases no laws are broken by the applicant. It is the agents and immigration officers giving/taking 'tea money' that are the potentially breaking laws.

I doubt embassy staff would be the most reliable source to comment on immigration law.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1