Photoshop Questions

sylvafern

I thought these questions might be more appropriate in the photography forum rather than the computer forum.....

First question - how can you crop in photoshop so that you are just cutting out the bits you don't want and not cropping it to a certain size? For example, I either take photos on 5 or 10 megapixels (which equals 2896x1936 or 3872x2592). When I crop it I want to keep it in proportion so crop, for example, to 6x4 but no matter what size the original photo was or the size of the cropped bit it always ends up being 1800x1200. If I am only cropping a little bit off of a 10mp photo, this drastically reduces the size compared to the original. The resolution is set to the default which is 300, would this be the problem and what should it be?

Next question - is there a trick to enhancing blue sky without altering the colour of the whole photo?

And finally, I did a photoshop course ages ago but have forgotten most of it. I rmember that there was a way to bring up a view which showed the photo in varying shades of the same (and different colours). How can I do this? I have some sunrise photos of a fishing boat out at sea that I'd like to enhance the colour and make it either more pinky or more orangey.

Thanks for any help.

If you want to keep the proportions but not then be limited to a certain size; use the rectangular marquee tool rather than the crop tool. Set the style to "fixed aspect ratio" and then enter 6 and 4, or whatever proportions you want.

Make the selection you need and then go to Image/Crop; then Ctrl/D to remove the selection.

If you want to make change to a part of a photo, then make a selection of that area. How you make a good selection and how you make changes are subjects of books and articles. Suggest hunting on the web. The best book I have found is The Photoshop CS2 book for digital photographers by Scotty Kelby; stuffed full of relevant techniques which are easy to follow.

Maybe the varying shades view is Image/Adjustments/Variations?

if you are looking for photo specific tasks, have a look at adobe lightroom

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

It is basically the adobe camera raw module from photoshop that works with jpegs too. It is a very easy to use tool and very powerful. It is non-destructive and saves the changes to your pics separately so you can revert to the original at any time. I have been using this as a beta and its very good. Ideal for straigtening / cropping / playing with exposure and boosting colours.

You will still need photoshop for some advanced editing, but this is well worth it for a photo organiser as well.

:o

"It is basically the adobe camera raw module from photoshop"

Lightroom uses the RAW processing technology from a product called Rawshooter which Adobe bought a year or so ago. Was reckoned to be one of the best RAW processors. Those of us who had purchased Rawshooter are being given free registration to Lightroom; or so we were promised!

• 9 months later...
I thought these questions might be more appropriate in the photography forum rather than the computer forum.....

First question - how can you crop in photoshop so that you are just cutting out the bits you don't want and not cropping it to a certain size? For example, I either take photos on 5 or 10 megapixels (which equals 2896x1936 or 3872x2592). When I crop it I want to keep it in proportion so crop, for example, to 6x4 but no matter what size the original photo was or the size of the cropped bit it always ends up being 1800x1200. If I am only cropping a little bit off of a 10mp photo, this drastically reduces the size compared to the original. The resolution is set to the default which is 300, would this be the problem and what should it be?

Next question - is there a trick to enhancing blue sky without altering the colour of the whole photo?

And finally, I did a photoshop course ages ago but have forgotten most of it. I rmember that there was a way to bring up a view which showed the photo in varying shades of the same (and different colours). How can I do this? I have some sunrise photos of a fishing boat out at sea that I'd like to enhance the colour and make it either more pinky or more orangey.

Thanks for any help.

Tray to ontjek the box resample ind The imight sice vindow.

I am Danish and not to god in reiding Englis.

:o from Per