Non Immigration O Extension Refused....help!

My Visa extension was rejected on Friday

I am a 42 year old retired American with a Pension

I went to Thai Immigration here in Chiang mai with the following

-my passport with Non imm -o visa (obtained in the U.S.)

-Pension statement notarized by the consulate, showing a monthly income in excess of 100,000 baht per month.

- bank book and letter from the bank showing a balance in excess of 400,000 baht

- my daughter's birth certificate proving I am indeed her father

I was asked several times to show proof of marriage which I was unable to produce as I am not married (as I am now Gamophobic) , but applying for an extension based on support of my Thai national child.

I was told I required a document stating I am required by the court to support my child. Because" In Thailand the mother is the only one recognized as suporting the child unless the courts say otherwise" however when I went to the Ampur to apply for said document I was told I should be married to get it.......kinda defeats the purpose of getting an extension based on supporting a child with Thai citizenship.

So now I am back to the 30 day visa runs.

Has anyone had similar problems or greater success obtaing the letter of support if so please tell me I would like ideas.

Thanks

Oh well Mai Pen Rai...let them rain on my parade....I like the rain as well as the sun

This is a matter I would take to an attorney. Another idea, and I am almost never a proponent of this, is get married. You all seem happy together so why not? 30 day visa runs are no way to live. I would never advocate this to anyone

I spoke with an attorney and he also advised marriage........I've been shot once and it hurt me a lot less than my previous marriage/divorce it is my goal to avoid both in the future.

Besides Thai law "suposedly"allows for a non-immigration O if supporting a thai national dependant (Spouse, Parent or Child)...so why all the hassle when I try to extend my stay on that basis.

You can travel down to Penang. Take your childs birth certificate, a copy of your girlfriends ID card and family house papers and they will give you a 1 year multiple entry Non O.

Catch a mini van from Hadyai and it will take you to the Swiss Hotel in Chulia St Penang. Once there you have two choices. You can go to the consulate yourself or talk to Muhammad who runs a money changer visa/service at the entrance to the Swiss Hotel. Tel Number 60 4 2616113 He will charge you 500 baht and will arrange everything for you.

A German friend of mine was granted a 1 year muliple O with the papers mentioned above. He went to the consulate himself.

A lot better than 30 day border runs. And you can actually get 15 mths if you leave just before the visa expiry date.

Are you registered as the father on the daughter's birth certificate?

If so that should be sufficient.

Is this the first time you have applied.

If not you have a precedent to quote as well when you appeal the decision at Suan Plu

I stumbled upon the following article:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news....14009&usrsess=1

I know nothing about the author, and have no way of knowing whether he has inside information. But - it provides another data point that says that if you are under 50, not working, not married - i.e. a "drone" - Thailand will not allow you to stay here, just on the basis of having fathered a child here.

This article does suggest that money in the bank might make a candidate a more attractive drone.

Indo-Siam

I stumbled upon the following article:

This looks like a rehash of the article that appeared in Good Morning Chiangmai last autumn regarding immigrations changes that got everybody all wound up. That magazine's website is referenced at the end of the article. The name of the author of this article in the Nation, David Hardcastle, sounds suspiciously similar to that of the Good Morning Chiangmai editor.

Yes I guess I am a "drone" in that I no longer work. I do however bring into Thailand and spend a fair amount of money from abroad. So I am certainly not a drain on the economy here quite the contrary I would think.

I am indeed the father, as noted on the birth certificate,

My annual Retirement income exceeds the minimum amount that qualifies for an extension based on

-Supporting a dependant "new 400,000 or old rules 200,000 baht annually"

or -Retirement ---800,000 annually ..although I am well aware I am too young to apply for that.

Additionally I currently have a little over 400,000 baht in a Thai bank which apparently is not enough for me to be taken seriously.

Does anyone know of a precedant for a waiver of minimum retirement age if all other criteria is met? In another 8 months or so I could save an additional 400,000 baht to show them