US Employer: Direct deposit to a Thai account?

I know the usual way to do this is have the employer direct deposit to US account and then do a transfer. But before i moved to Thailand I was going through debtor hell from a failed business, the end result being judgments against me and the risk of bank levies on my US bank accounts. 

As a freelancer this was not a problem as I was paid through Paypal, but my new employer doesn't do that, just paycheck or direct deposit. 

Is there any way to have my employer direct deposit to a Thai Bank account? If not I will go with paychecks instead, although it will take longer (to send from the US to Thailand) and maybe incur more fees as well.

Too late, could have done it via Bangkok Bank's New York branch, but that avenue is closing effective April 19th, 2019,  or thereabouts

Could always be done via SWIFT wires to any Thai bank but I doubt if your employers is going to go to that expense for you to hide income 

Hopefully someone will post here which bank is the best for paper checks, but your are correct it is going to be expensive and time consuming to do do it that way.

I personally would be most worried about Thai postal delivery    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Is there any way to have my employer direct deposit to a Thai Bank account?

Of course, but you'll lose on the exchange rate and someone will have to pay the fees associated with that transfer. 

Only way to know is to fill out the payment form from your employer. 

You'll need the name, bank account number, Routing Number, SWIFT etc of the account in Thailand. 

OP is your employer outside of US? If yes it won’t be a problem having it sent to Thailand. 

If they are in the US and your business had any of your information 

SSN etc. eventually the system will go to your employer and force 

employer to take a portion of your pay that would go to who is owed. 

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

If they are in the US and your business had any of your information 

SSN etc. eventually the system will go to your employer and force 

employer to take a portion of your pay that would go to who is owed. 

Employer is in the US, yes. The way I have read it works is the creditor gets a judgement against me and then requests a debtor exam to have me appear and give information about my assets. This will be hard because my US information is all old, which creates a problem for them during process service.

The IRS has my new information (in Thailand). I don't believe creditors can directly access IRS information though.

Even if the creditor is able to track down my employer and do a wage garnishment of reasonable proportion, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. What I really needed to avoid was a bank levy, as that could wipe out all my cash assets and put me on the street.

I have setup transferwise. They have a borderless account that gives you a bank account number and routing number for direct deposits. Those deposits can then be transfered to your own Thai account. TW gives you the actual mid market exchange rate too. Basically exactly what I was looking for!