Video: The fight that led to fatal shooting of Frenchman in Bangkok

webfact

10 hours ago, Imkah said:

I get that you are disapproving of something, but what? Is it that killing farang is mostly free of penalty?  (I dropped "tourists since you contradict yourself in the next sentence) or is it because we, the farang are not up to par and do not retaliate en masse?  Doubt this will make you any less disapproving, but my experience no matter how plastered I am;  If I feel like belching on SoMe I always try to make sure I know why I am belching (doesn't work all the time) and ALWAYS check the direction of the wind before I puke. Just my pennies worth...

What I am saying is the following:

1. Thai violence against farang tourists and expats is often free of serious punishment. Often scapegoating is used by the Thai to avoid Thai punishment (eg. Ko Tao). Or, the Thai will obfuscate in many other ways to make the circumstances of the violence unclear. 

2. Thai violence against Asians, and especially against Chinese, is punished more severely. My opinion as to why is that the Asians more readily stick together and support each other. They are tribal. And, their governments seem to care about their well-being when in other countries. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ukrules said:

I know someone who knows this cop from my days living in Bangkok, apparently he used to be very friendly, not a trouble causer.

He used to drink in the bamboo bar some time ago.

Almost all of them "appear" friendly. That is how Thai (Asian) culture works. Avoid conflict. 

However, when for whatever reason, conflict is not avoidable, they become savages. 

So we can say Thais are situationally friendly. There is nothing unique or particularly interesting about this Thai. Most all of them can be easily provoked to explosive violence - and, that is true across all socioeconomic and education levels.

12 hours ago, madmen said:

You respect your host countrys legal system end of story.

Crying about it won't change a thing.

The thai car thing in the USA isn't even about the legal system so a nonsense comparison

Wrong!!!  You adhere to it.  Theres a big difference.

16 hours ago, Terek said:

but who knows what this foreigner did? maybe something bad? I have saw some bad behaving foreigners who should be treated like this

So let me get this straight....you are trying to rationalize, and make a case for premeditated murder of a defenseless human being!!!!

Thats scary.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:44 PM, mr_lob said:

i can see a ''all a misunderstanding'' press conference coming up, smiles and wais and mai pen rais ????

Somebody wil have to prop the corpse of the Frenchman up to get him to wai. Would not surprise me if they did.

Total coward, super freak, half man, half child. He simply could not handle being bested by another man. There are alot of 13 year olds here, who look and dress like grown men. Beware of them. Some are dangerous. Never pays to get into a fight with a Thai man. Always avoid a physical confrontation here, at all costs. 

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

So we can say Thais are situationally friendly. There is nothing unique or particularly interesting about this Thai. Most all of them can be easily provoked to explosive violence - and, that is true across all socioeconomic and education levels.

So the game is not to provoke them, or anyone else for that matter.

When did it become OK to provoke other people in the western world?

If you want to live a long life just avoid confrontations , there are some simple rules you have to follow , especially in countries like Thailand. It's safe here for most of us.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So the game is not to provoke them, or anyone else for that matter.

When did it become OK to provoke other people in the western world?

Ideally, nobody would ever be provoked.

Thais are provoked too easily, but, more importantly, they break their laws (like the law to not murder people) too easily and too frequently.

I wonder if Thai law allows for retaliatory action, in the form of murder, when a Thai is "provoked". Do you know?

On 12/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, Jane Dough said:

I am a long term resident and I think your whole post is very wide of the mark. This cop will likely get the death sentence for that. While it will probably be commuted he could do decades for this. The fact that it was against a tourist only adds to the gravity in my view. 

What makes you think the cop will get the death penalty? They're a cop and cops here are protected by each other and the government. And who said he was a tourist? Was he on a 30 day exempt or a tourist visa? He was living in the Trendy condo building so most likely a long-term resident here I'd presume.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong,

you are just incapable of understanding the aggression of your behaviour.

And incapable of reading the warning signs they give out.

Understood. So, murder is OK when one is provoked and the provoke-r does not notice the other person getting angry. Great

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong,

you are just incapable of understanding the aggression of your behaviour.

And incapable of reading the warning signs they give out.

well, to be honest it takes a little time to learn to walk on eggs :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Understood. So, murder is OK when one is provoked and the provoke-r does not notice the other person getting angry. Great

You are the foreigner here, if you can't fit in with their culture and laws, you shouldn't be here.

I don't have any problems avoiding conflict with Thais.

A drunken Brit in a bar, an entirely different matter.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You are the foreigner here, if you can't fit in with their culture and laws, you shouldn't be here.

I have never broken a Thai law. The Thai police officer did, though. We may never know if the French national did -- since he was murdered.

And, in any event, this is not about me. If you want to debate my comments, please do so properly.

What you seem to be talking about is moral relativism which has no place with the law. If the Thais legalise murder, I will acknowledge your argument.

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I have never broken a Thai law. The Thai police officer did, though. We may never know if the French national did -- since he was murdered.

And, in any event, this is not about me. If you want to debate my comments, please do so properly.

What you seem to be talking about is moral relativism which has no place with the law. If the Thais legalise murder, I will acknowledge your argument.

Passive/aggressive provocation at it's best.

A Thai girlfriend once explained everything to me very concisely.

If someone causes me to feel shame in front of my friends, family or peers, I will attempt to kill them.

If I am arrested and put in jail for my actions, I will accept my punishment, but I'll probably get away with it.

I believe this is the precise explanation for all of these violent incidents, you might care about the law, but they care more about being shamed in public. Argue all you like about the law, but it's not much help to you if you're already dead.

with your premission, i would like to explain the logic behind the thai policeman actions.

thai police, and thai people in general, are thinking in cast system way.

for them, on the top of the tourist scale are the FARANG, the white skin european - american

tourists. 

the arabs are on much lower scale, and the thai policeman thinks the french tourist is arab.

that is why he dare chasing him and shooting him in broad day light.

had he known he carry french passport, he would never dare to do it, cause he

knows the french (origin of the acctual word farang) are strong rich nation and

the police / media won't waive the case.

that said, need to understand that south east asian lives are much cheaper in the eyes

of the police/ media. if the victim here was cambodian / laotian ext. the policeman could

get away with just a slap on his hand, and propably that is why he had such an easy hand on

his triger (and to be honest, we would propably won't hear even about a case with

south east asian / poor thai victim, on foreign media).

22 hours ago, TSF said:

Far out, if a foreigner behaves badly then they should be murdered by Thais. You should apply for Thai citizenship, they'll welcome you with open arms.

for badly behaved / criminal foreigners there is police. you call the police and they come with their uniforms and cars and deal with the case. you don't start hitting and shooting people.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:32 AM, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Disagree. 

From :22 - :27 Green shirt guy is trying to pass off the pistol. 

From :25 - :31 he is picking up the gun from the gutter. 

From :40 - :45 its the shooter flashing the gun from his waistband at the frenchman. 

At :52-:54 he takes the pistol out of his waste-band and pops his first shot. 

Could happen to any foreigner that disputes the bill. 

Your right , and i dont understand why people are amased by the outcome of this story, and complaining about thailand and thai cops . If you get into a fistfight with a cop in amerika and knock him down , my geuss is that the outcome will be the same specialy if you start running .

with your premission, i would like to explain the logic behind the thai policeman actions.
for them, on the top of the tourist scale are the FARANG, the white skin european - american
tourists. 
the arabs are on much lower scale, and the thai policeman thinks the french tourist is arab.
that said, need to understand that south east asian lives are much cheaper in the eyes
of the police/ media. if the victim here was cambodian / laotian ext. the policeman could
get away with just a slap on his hand, and propably that is why he had such an easy hand on
his triger (and to be honest, we would propably won't hear even about a case with

Apparently they new each other, was reported, so the policeman more than likely new he was French.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, lust said:

I disputed 2 bills. One was with my brother who they tried to give us a bill of 20,000baht for a bottle of whiskey and some company from some women at a gentleman’s club. I mentioned my police friend will some sort it out and the mama San came back with a much more reasonable 8,000baht bill which we paid.

the 2nd was at soi cowboy where my friends racked up a bill from the lady drinks which they lied about the price. One of the girls said I was cheap and through a cardboard tissue box at me. The owner lady insisted we pay the full amount but I said nope, call the police. The police came and I explained their shady fees with the police siding with me and making them reduce the bill by half.

after seeing stories like this, I’m lucky I’m not in a klong somewhere with 2 in the back of my head

Same happened to me. I was walking down the soi with a young prostie. Suddenly out of nowhere policeman jumps right in front of me. Says she is his gf. We started a fight, he took out a gun. I ran away, left the girl to him. Paibunrai

13 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

tourists. 

Strong, rich France... yeah, sure.

10 minutes ago, kikkeli said:

They knew each other indeed. Used to hang out together. Im sure bout it

Apparently they did know each other:

Some Thai media has reported that the killing was a result of an argument between the cop and the tourist over a woman. 

It is suggested you stop with your trolling tactics. 

3 hours ago, kikkeli said:

Same happened to me. I was walking down the soi with a young prostie. Suddenly out of nowhere policeman jumps right in front of me. Says she is his gf. We started a fight, he took out a gun. I ran away, left the girl to him. Paibunrai

remember an incident several years ago, a Thai cop had a mee noi who worked in a nightclub, I think it was Chiang Mai, and the mee noi found an Italian guy and dumped the cop, so the cop went to the airport and pulled his gun and blasted a few Italians who were lined up checking in for a flight.

Archived