Pattaya gives up plastic bags for a day

Rimmer

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya shoppers gave up plastic for a day as Thailand made a token effort to reduce its massive plastic-waste problem.

Public officials and volunteers paraded through the Rong Po Market to encourage vendors to use paper or fabric bags on Dec. 4, Thailand’s Environment Day. Most sellers cooperated and shoppers generally looked pleased to give up their usual bags for a day.

The “no plastic bag” campaign was carried out across Thailand with department stores, retail shops and convenient stores refusing to use plastic for a day.

The operator of Central Festival Pattaya Beach and Central Marina said it would not use plastic bags on the fourth of every month. Other shops gave away fabric bags or gave prizes to those shoppers who came with their own fabric bags or baskets.

Thailand is one of the world’s worst plastic polluters. Each year more 45 billion plastic bags, 6.8 billion foam containers and 9.7 billion plastic bottles are disposed of by a nation of 68 million people.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-12-14
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I carry my folding shopping bag wherever I go. I present it to clerks and sales people, most of whom reach for another plastic bag, even as I "Mai Sai Tung" several times. 

Maybe they dont understand what you are saying, 'mai sai tung' just means 'not add pouch (or small bag).

Try saying 'mai aow toong plastik,'   this means 'don't want bag plastik'

ไม่เอาถุงพลาสติก If you can read thai it helps

Edited by fantom

30 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

OMG - how are the Thais, and others, going to carry their food home from street vendors!

the same way they always did before, those beautiful woven containers for dry goods, maybe lined with leaves, and metal containers for the rest. It really is not a problem. just bring your own food container.

58 minutes ago, fantom said:

the same way they always did before, those beautiful woven containers for dry goods, maybe lined with leaves, and metal containers for the rest. It really is not a problem. just bring your own food container.

When I lived on the darkside one of those mobile food vendors used to offer a small discount or give you more if you took your own pots outside.

Have not had a visit to Tesco Lous in Soi Arunothai when the number of bags was near equal to the amount of items purchased. I keep handing them back or telling them to put the solitary can of fish in with the beer, it won't hurt either.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Big whoop!  Try giving them up for good.
We carry a number of cloth shopping bags in the car nowadays.  How tough is that. 
However - if the city/province/country simply bans them, then the problem is over - vendors, retailers, and consumers will adjust. 

Edited by connda

3 hours ago, fantom said:

Maybe they dont understand what you are saying, 'mai sai tung' just means 'not add pouch (or small bag).

Try saying 'mai aow toong plastik,'   this means 'don't want bag plastik'

ไม่เอาถุงพลาสติก If you can read thai it helps

Both phrases work. 

6 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Yes good idea all time but to shop in Tesco was a nightmare 4 bags with no hand hold so I couldn't put it on my bike if I had known I would just have taken my backpack with me 

So why do you not your backpack with you every time? I have not used a plastic bag, plastic, or polystyrene container for years. It really is not that difficult. I refuse to buy anything that has plastic wrapping. I will not buy drinks from any stall that offers one hit containers of any kind!  Thailand is plastic mad, They look at you as if you are some sort of misfit, for not taking the FREE plastic containers/bags. Yes charge 100 Baht extra for any such thing, the change will be rapid, you can be sure. If you purchased a plastic bag here, they would put it in a free plastic bag for you!!!

• Like 1