Colonic Disorder

tutsiwarrior

tutsi is fulla shit, like most people an' needs the toilet...recently I get alternate feelings of extreme constipation and of incipient incontinence...sometimes I can feel a bowel movement coming only to sit on the throne with nothing there except discomfort...other times I can feel something in the chute and I need the toilet RIGHT NOW or there will be a mess...

I'm wondering if these are symptoms of something serious...I know that colonic disorders are not uncommon and it seems like I no longer have control over these muscles. I first sensed these problems about 5 months ago and believed that they were stress related...I have now been stress free for a few months and the symptoms persist. Does this sound like anything familiar?

Sounds like it could be IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This can usually be treated quite easily. Changes in diet can sometimes alleviate the symptoms. There are also diffierent medications available.

IF you are experiencing those symptoms with bleeding as well as pain you could be looking at IBD (inflamatory bowel disease). This is not a good one to have. Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's Disease(s) are quite serious.

I always visually inspect the product after a bowel movement and haven't seen any blood...colitis is my greatest fear...would hate havin' to shit into a bag under any circumstances...I suppose that if the problem continues I'll haveta go to the hospital for them to analyse a stool sample...god forbid...

no probs there...all the stools are a healthy light brown...my dad died of bowel cancer which is hereditary and I try to control my diet with lots of noodles and roughage.

today, I had 5 bowel movents each with a small turd...I'm wonderin' what that represents. One time I had to race up the stairs to the toilet (try doin' that an' controlling yer sphingter at the same time) before the product expelled itself...hence the incipient incontinence. Now I'm wonderin' if I can handle a 7 hour plane journey...('aisle seat, please...')

You might want to get that checked out. Have you had a colonoscopy? Not a very fun procedure, but if your dad died of colon cancer and it is hereditary, it's usually recommended to have one done on a certain schedule.

Having Colitis doesn't necessarily mean having a bag. There have been huge strides in treatment. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about 10 years ago. Spent some time in the ICU and almost died from a secondary complication. After going on meds for about a year, it's been in remission ever since with no problems.

You might want to get that checked out. Have you had a colonoscopy? Not a very fun procedure, but if your dad died of colon cancer and it is hereditary, it's usually recommended to have one done on a certain schedule.

Having Colitis doesn't necessarily mean having a bag. There have been huge strides in treatment. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about 10 years ago. Spent some time in the ICU and almost died from a secondary complication. After going on meds for about a year, it's been in remission ever since with no problems.

Couple of questions:

Are you still taking the meds or did you stop them after a year?

When you say in remission are you totally symptom-free?

"Couple of questions:

Are you still taking the meds or did you stop them after a year?

When you say in remission are you totally symptom-free?"

Endure,

I am no longer taking the meds. I was put on one of the less extreme drugs (Asacol) and it worked quite well. The doctors found ulcerations in the last 7 feet of my small intestine and first 3 feet of my large intestine. Asacol was able to clear this up.

By remission I mean none of the worst symptoms of Crohn's...those being extreme pain, low grade fever, weight loss, bleeding, having to live in the bathroom. I am healthy. Every once in a while I will have to use the bathroom a number of times throughout the day, but that doesn't last. It's difficult to say if that is from the Crohn's or something else...stress, a certain food etc.

Edited by Jamie

That's interesting to know. I've just been diagnosed with UC. They had a good poke round and couldn't actually see any ulceration but diagnosed from a biopsy and the fact that my symptoms improved after starting to take Pentasa. The implication was that I'd have to take it forever. My symptoms weren't all that severe in the first place but I still have a bit of gripey pain - nothing to stop me leading a normal life. There's hope yet! cheers :o

Jamie,

"I was put on one of the less extreme drugs (Asacol) and it worked quite well"

Was this in Thailand? Where did you locate Asacol? I've been using Salofalk and, accroding to the pharmacist Asacol is much cheaper but unavailable in Thailand.

Thanks!

Backflip,

No unfortunately it was in the US. What about one of the other Mesalamine type drugs like Pentasa or Rowasa? There is also Sulfasalazine. I'm not sure how these compare in price to Asacol though, but they are all Mesalamine or Mesalamine derived.

Just go and get it checked out Tutsi!

There have been huge strides in treatment. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about 10 years ago. Spent some time in the ICU and almost died from a secondary complication. After going on meds for about a year, it's been in remission ever since with no problems.

Pretty much the same here. I have been in full remission for about 15 years thanks to Azathioprin (Imuran). Not something you want to take unless you have to, but worked brilliantly for me when all else had failed and I get by on a very low dose. It's ###### expensive in Thailand though.

tutsi is fulla shit, like most people an' needs the toilet...recently I get alternate feelings of extreme constipation and of incipient incontinence...sometimes I can feel a bowel movement coming only to sit on the throne with nothing there except discomfort...other times I can feel something in the chute and I need the toilet RIGHT NOW or there will be a mess...

I'm wondering if these are symptoms of something serious...I know that colonic disorders are not uncommon and it seems like I no longer have control over these muscles. I first sensed these problems about 5 months ago and believed that they were stress related...I have now been stress free for a few months and the symptoms persist. Does this sound like anything familiar?

Tutsi, be careful it can be dangerous !

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

I have had it very bad and one time I had to drive to the hospital myself and literally had to crawl inside to the emergency....

It's was so painfull I can't describe and had to stay one week in hospital.

You need to take Psyllium Husk Capsules since it's probably a lack of enough fiber -in your food- to activate the 'flow'....! (google for it)

I am using them now for years 2 x per day and never had any problems anymore.

LaoPo

Tutsi,

Have a complete physical at Samitivej Hospital, choosing one of the packages that include colonoscopy. Be sure to tell the doctor about your bowel symptoms and family history.

If you don't want to do a complete physical (although I do recommend it -- especially for you!) then consult a gastroenterologist at Samitivej, check out their website and look for one with training in a western country, preferrably board certification.

There are many things this could be, some serious, some not. No point in worrying or guessing -- find out.

BTW, at your age and with your family history you should be having yearly physicals with colonoscopy even if asymptomatic.

Cancer of the colon is curable if caught early, and colostomy (the bag you referred to) can also usually be avoided if the cancer is caught very early.

An annual poke in the you- know- where is small price to pay for those advantages.....

"What about one of the other Mesalamine type drugs like Pentasa or Rowasa? There is also Sulfasalazine. I'm not sure how these compare in price to Asacol though, but they are all Mesalamine or Mesalamine derived."

Although sulfasalazine is cheap and generic, I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. I'm using Salofalk, the same medication as Pentasa and Asacol.

asacol and salofalk are i believe the same.(mesalazine)

dr nusont kladcharoen at the digestive diseases centre at bumrungrad hospital is a uk qualified doctor , a professor at the chula med school , and has a good bedside manner , something lacking in many thai medics.

as someone who has had to have a couple of intimate examinations recently , i can tell you they are nothing to fear , and the nurses there make the whole process "fun".

as sheryl said , a quick look with a camera will tell you all you need to know , and they give you a dvd of the procedure to entertain family and friends with over christmas.

for anyone needing salofalk ( mesalazine) cheaply , (35baht / tablet as opposed to bumrungrads price of 55baht / tablet , go to one of the large pharmacies opposite siriraj hospital over the river in thonburi.

phetcharat pharmacy is the name of one of them ( signage in thai)

I realize that both Asacol + Salofalk are the same drug. I'm also getting the 500mg tabs @ 35THB each. I'm just exploring other avenues to save some money. I've had my colon inspected a couple times and, although there was no discomfort, there was no "fun" either.

does the colonoscopy involve an endoscope?...not sure what that would be like but I had a prostate exam some years ago an' de cute nurse made it fun, fun, fun... :D

I assure you that, once you experience the endoscope, you won't have fun-fun-fun anymore....no matter WHO does it !

You will moan like a baby and wish you never had one :o

LaoPo

does the colonoscopy involve an endoscope?...not sure what that would be like but I had a prostate exam some years ago an' de cute nurse made it fun, fun, fun... :D

I assure you that, once you experience the endoscope, you won't have fun-fun-fun anymore....no matter WHO does it !

You will moan like a baby and wish you never had one :o

LaoPo

sounds like maybe death by colon cancer is preferable... :D

I realize that both Asacol + Salofalk are the same drug. I'm also getting the 500mg tabs @ 35THB each. I'm just exploring other avenues to save some money. I've had my colon inspected a couple times and, although there was no discomfort, there was no "fun" either.

Yes but how many tabs a day do you take? I've been taking (take four tablets orally three times a day) 9-12 Asacol 400mg tabs a day for 8 years. My problem started when I picked up a parasite in Puerto Escondido Mexico that tore up my intestine. I'm lucky to get my Asacol free from the VA in the states. Most of the time I'm OK, but have a few flare-ups during the year. At B35 a tab X 10=B350 a day!

Mercy,

-O

a colonoscopy is not exactly fun , especially for someone like myself of a nervous disposition when it comes to things medical , however the procedure is done under deep sedation , and when that pethidine/dormicom combination rushes up your vein , you will be in seventh heaven.

the 3 hours prior to the procedure is spent in a room in the company of others awaiting the same procedure , all of us drinking 2 litres of a powerful laxative that acts as a bowel cleanser so the doc can get a good view.

after each bowel motion , you have to ask one of the many gorgeous miniskirted nurses who float around the room to come into the toilet and examine your turds before you flush it away , they will decide if it is clear enough or if you need some more laxative.

this is all done in the usual informal thai fun way , with nurses calling other nurses in to give second opinions on your turds , with much laughter and joking about.

thais will have family members with them , chatting and snacking and watching tv.

falangs at first bury themselves in the bangkok post with acute embarrassment until they "loosen up" and join the party.

get yourself checked tutsiwarrior , the sooner the better.

worrying achieves nothing and an early diagnosis of whatever is ailing you means easier and shorter and cheaper treatment.

good luck.

does the colonoscopy involve an endoscope?...not sure what that would be like but I had a prostate exam some years ago an' de cute nurse made it fun, fun, fun... tongue.gif

Yes it does, and no amount of cute nurses will make it fun. However, with a bit of luck you will be too stoned to notice what's going on :o

just had a normal bowel movement today with no discomfort, etc. This does not appear to be a chronic disorder as I would've been to be checked out by now. What is the experience with you folks?...was the disorder relentless or did it come and go?

(cute nurses in miniskirts checkin' out me stool?...how could that not be fun?...plus bein' stoned to boot...havin' a look as de miniskoit rides up as she bends over de toilet to make her inspection...)

Tutsi:

1. Yes, symptoms can come and go (no pun intended) and still be serious, and

2. As I said before, regardless of symptoms, at your age and with a family history of colon cancer you should have a colonoscopy as part of an annual health exam every year.

3. True it is not a fun procedure but at least at the more upscale places like Samitivej and Bumrungrad they dope you up enough not to mind.

And I do assure you, even without sedation it is nowhere near as unpleasant as the conseqences of not having one can be.....

oh, Sheryl, jezuz...you do make a compelling argument. In these private hospitals do you have to book an exam weeks in advance or can ye just walk in? I'm gonna haveta be back at work innabout 2 weeks...I don't even want them to feel up me liver 'the horror...the horror...'...maybe better just to die an' haddone widdit...just don't want it to hurt too much :o