Trump taps budget director Mulvaney as acting chief of staff

rooster59

Trump taps budget director Mulvaney as acting chief of staff

By Steve Holland

800x800 (7).jpg

FILE PHOTO: White House budget director Mick Mulvaney gestures as he holds a press briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., January 19, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Friday said his budget chief, Mick Mulvaney, would take over as White House chief of staff on a temporary basis after former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie abruptly withdrew from consideration for the post.

Mulvaney, a former congressman who heads the White House Office of Management and Budget, would take over from retired Marine General John Kelly, who steps down from the top post in early January.

"Mick has done an outstanding job while in the administration," Trump said in announcing the decision on Twitter. "I look forward to working with him in this new capacity."

The decision came just hours after Christie, who had been considered a top candidate, withdrew his name.

Christie's announcement leaves the president's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer as two top possibilities to replace Kelly on a long-term basis.

Mulvaney was also in the mix, as were other people, a knowledgeable source said.

Before he joined the administration, Mulvaney was an outspoken member of the House Freedom Caucus, a powerful bloc of conservative Republican lawmakers in the House of Representatives.

This is not the first time Trump has turned to Mulvaney in a pinch.

Last November, he named Mulvaney the acting head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, an agency that had been closely associated with former President Barack Obama’s tenure.

The appointment was fought in court, but Mulvaney prevailed and ran it until earlier this month, when Trump’s official pick was confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

Mulvaney often appears on Sunday TV talk shows to defend Trump's policies.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-15

Seems strange that he has been named the ACTING Chief of Staff?

Mulvaney could lose the "acting" part of his title if things go well, according to another senior administration official.

"It's his to lose".

So this is some sort of reality show "try-out"?

Why am I not surprised?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I hope with a name like Mick Mulvaney he's not Irish, The Irish have suffered enough jokes about thier mentallity to last a life time, working for Trump would really be the last straw.

That's a Brit prejudice. Not really a thing in the USA.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Seems strange that he has been named the ACTING Chief of Staff?

I think every one who works for Trump must be considering their jobs as temporary.

Either Trump will sack them or Muller's going get them or even both.

Just now, spidermike007 said:

He was literally the only person dumb enough to accept the job. 

Only on an acting basis (this was Mulvaney's request) whilst keeping his other cabinet post. This means he still has a senate-confirmed position to return to when the inevitable happens. So maybe not so dumb. Does he draw two salaries and two sets of allowances? That would be a classic move from the Fuhrer's playbook by a Trumpite.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"Mick has done an outstanding job while in the administration," Trump said in announcing the decision on Twitter. "I look forward to working with him in this new capacity."

This time next year it will be...

"Mick was a useless, good for nothing terrible employee" 

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Only on an acting basis (this was Mulvaney's request) whilst keeping his other cabinet post. This means he still has a senate-confirmed position to return to when the inevitable happens. So maybe not so dumb. Does he draw two salaries and two sets of allowances? That would be a classic move from the Fuhrer's playbook by a Trumpite.

Since Trump seems to have zero regard for spending government money, one would presume he would get two salaries, and two full sets of perks. Does not matter to Trump, who seems hellbent on bankrupting the government, as he did five large companies. Never forget, he is the bankruptcy, and the deferment king. A definitive non patriot, to the fullest extent possible. He cares for the common man, not one iota. 

Edited by spidermike007

So much of the trump downfall is similar to Nixon's...Al Haig took the job as Nixon's CoS on a temporary basis.

The old joke...

trump lines up his five candidates...

trump "anyone who does NOT want to be my chief of staff take one step forward"

everyone takes one step forward

trump "not so fast there Mick"

10 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Trump should of picked Stormy Daniels as CoS as she knows Trump's staff very well.

I think she mentioned in an interview that his staff was underwhelming and unimpressive. I doubt she'd be interested in handling his staff again.

• Haha 1