High Electricity Bill?

Johnson81

Our average bill is 1200thb/m

Aircon9kbtu no inverter in a leaky window bedroom running on nights 25'C, big size frigde (inverter), three fans, ceiling fan, cooking electric, tv 40" old lcd running for hours and hours by the missy, ups, two laptops running 12hrs a day, network storages. Lights are, exept for two, all led.

Beside that, I pay double tarrifs.. 2.8 on nights and 5 on day for each unit.

• Haha 1

Our 3 bed house runs at between Thb 1,800 to Thb 2,100 per month. No pool, but 2 AC's on for say 8 hours per day. All the lights are LED, and we have the usual suite of electrical stuff including a second refrigerator for cool drinks. We have dual utility cooking but mostly use gas.

The aspect of the house will have a bearing also. ie large windows south facing etc.

we pay the standard Govt rate so Thb 2,300 doesn't sound outrageous. Maybe early style AC units ?

worth checking to see if someone is piggy backing off of your supply though.

About electricity theft, it more than a minor problem. Aside from the recklessness exhibited by electricity thieves (i.e. risky behavior with regards to safety) it's almost as though many people feel entitled to do it. One of my weekly chores is to walk around our private electricity system, much of it running along power lines on our unused land. The LV 3-phase part of it is about 2 kilometres long. It's no surprise to occasionally find local villagers have run a long cable to our systems and spliced into one of our phases. It would otherwise go unnoticed as our bills are so big anyway. We spend around 30,000 Baht per month just keeping minibar fridges cold.

To summarise, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your neighbours feel 'entitled' to use your electricity. You are an excessively wealthy farang after all. You need some help burning power.

Edited by NilSS

5 hours ago, NilSS said:

One of my weekly chores is to walk around our private electricity system, much of it running along power lines on our unused land. The LV 3-phase part of it is about 2 kilometres long. It's no surprise to occasionally find local villagers have run a long cable to our systems and spliced into one of our phases. It would otherwise go unnoticed as our bills are so big anyway. We spend around 30,000 Baht per month just keeping minibar fridges cold.

Wow 2000 meters volts drop, hope they are smart enough to splice at the transformer end with all them minibars and all.

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:
5 hours ago, NilSS said:

To summarise, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your neighbours feel 'entitled' to use your electricity. //

This is quite common, even in condo buildings.

Quite common in condos ?? :ohmy:

I wonder in what kind of condo you are living ?? :unsure:

I never heard of electricity theft in my condo or any friend's condo...

And BTW, big cables bringing electricity to each unit are usually not easy to access.

Edited by Pattaya46

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Quite common ?? :ohmy:

I wonder in what kind of condo you are living ?? :unsure:

I never heard of electricity theft in my condo or any friend's condo...

And BTW, big cables bringing electricity to each unit are usually not easy to access.

It has happened in every single building I have ever had anything to do with here. But most co-owners are completely unaware of it because Thai management generally tends to cover it up rather than make a big show of it. That's the Thai way. In my own building it has happened twice in the last 5 years to my own knowledge, and I expect that it has happened on other occasions since without me being aware of it. I also expect that it has happened on other occasions without management being (officially) aware of it.

Common ways of stealing electricity involve swapping meters over and/or changing connections in the meter room, and making illegal connections to common or individual wiring in the false ceilings in corridors. Mostly with the connivance of building staff, of course.
Electricity theft is common in Thailand, as is cable TV theft. Why do you think there are posters up warning against it all over the place? And why should condo buildings be an exception?

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It has happened in every single building I have ever had anything to do with here.

Maybe you should try condos a bit more upscale ? or at least not so low end... :unsure:

9 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

But most co-owners are completely unaware of it because Thai management generally tends to cover it up rather than make a big show of it. That's the Thai way. 

My electric bills are very low and similar. No doubt I would immediately spot a theft.

9 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Common ways of stealing electricity involve swapping meters over and/or changing connections in the meter room, and making illegal connections to common or individual wiring in the false ceilings in corridors. Mostly with the connivance of building staff, of course.

See answer #1 :glare:

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Electricity theft is common in Thailand, as is cable TV theft. Why do you think there are posters up warning against it all over the place? And why should condo buildings be an exception?

I heard many times about electricity theft, and saw it from my own eyes, but always in Apartments buildings, never in Condominiums !

I heard of condos with rooms as cheap as 5'000B/month! I can imagine theft happening in such condos... but I can't imagine why a farang would like to live there...

3 hours ago, madmen said:
On 12/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, taninthai said:
My bill last month 540 bht run aircon 6-8 hours a night inverter model 9000 bhu,hot shower morning and night,house empty all day.op bill definitely namely sound high.

Doubt it.

Why do you doubt it ?

6 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Maybe you should try condos a bit more upscale ? or at least not so low end... 

Anyone who thinks that fraud and theft in Thailand is limited to LoSo places is a fool.

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

My electric bills are very low and similar. No doubt I would immediately spot a theft.

I would too. But plenty of co-owners wouldnt.
And how could you possibly notice if your neighbour had a connection to the common wiring in the corridor? You couldnt, of course. Yet that neighbour would still be stealing from you, indirectly.

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I heard many times about electricity theft, and saw it from my own eyes, but always in Apartments buildings, never in Condominiums ! 

As I mentioned, you probably aren't made aware of these things, just as most co-owners arent made aware of them.

That said, I entirely agree that thefts of this type, and indeed breaking and entering, are generally much less common in condos than in any other type of residence. But they all do still happen.

6 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

Wow 2000 meters volts drop, hope they are smart enough to splice at the transformer end with all them minibars and all.

We have 4 transformers in that cable run, and the cables are as thick as your wrist (hyperbole). It's basically the same system you'll see streetside anywhere in Thailand installed by the PEA.

31 minutes ago, NilSS said:

We have 4 transformers in that cable run, and the cables are as thick as your wrist (hyperbole). It's basically the same system you'll see streetside anywhere in Thailand installed by the PEA.

Wow thick cables, impressive stuff. You should post some pix of the 2km transformer run.

34 minutes ago, NilSS said:

What's your phukin problem fruit trader?

This one I'm working on right now as we speak... 

No problem, I just wanted to see the thick as my wrist cables (hyperbole) as I imagine the poles are under quite a load. But never mind

• 4 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 4:18 PM, donim said:

Our average bill is 1200thb/m

Aircon9kbtu no inverter in a leaky window bedroom running on nights 25'C, big size frigde (inverter), three fans, ceiling fan, cooking electric, tv 40" old lcd running for hours and hours by the missy, ups, two laptops running 12hrs a day, network storages. Lights are, exept for two, all led.

Beside that, I pay double tarrifs.. 2.8 on nights and 5 on day for each unit.

Electric situation hasn't changed a lot, just the ricepot used a little more and the computer network applicances are shut down for two months now.

The bill was double this month.

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Feb bill 1250 March 1850 April 3200 its all in the con air air con????

That is very steep.

Did you also get a message from the electric company about the sudden rise?

They did here, a notification that the usage was 50% more then the period before.

Looks like they monitor for abnormal events.

41477.jpg.b1c60cbb880a5a4bdc4f6bf2bdaa1713.jpg   41478.jpg.40a5d3afa00dd8ca32ff0a2201439fa0.jpg

41480.jpg.6a392f65b5dfa3dff6aba631e7f87e3a.jpg   41479.jpg.c66acff473b32aeaf58568d08c5b46d8.jpg

December was low; it was not hot, and the normal lights

were off most of the time for the christmas lights.