Setting up online banking

I’m leaving Thailand in 6 days I need to setup internet banking with Bangkok bank. Can it all be done online or do I need a bank visit first, and if so any office or my opening branch office. Kinda crunched for time, appreciate quick answer..

There may be an ATM option for single name accounts but believe most foreign holder accounts are exempt and a visit to branch required (and even there you are likely to be told no foreigners and then need work permit unless they have many foreign account holders).  Branch has to send to hqs who then sends account log in/password so you or someone getting mail needs to be here.  

Believe they do still have phone banking as an alternative if required - recall I used that at times before getting online.

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

You may probably be already aware to set your thai sim card for international roaming and depending how long your gone for, have the ability to pay sim bills whilst aboard.  (if your online acct is attached to the thai simcard)

Thanks everyone I'll go to my branch Monday.. and thanks for the phone info..I just want to keep up my motorbike payments while I'm gone.. it's the only debt here I have..I'll ask the bank Monday if an automatic payment can be set up..

So many years ago...

But I remember I used a procedure at the ATM.

After that I had to do a phone-call to a service number answering a couple of questions.

I had to have the bankbook at hand as one of the questions asked was the "serial" number of the bank book (not the account number).

I don't know whether the account had been "qualified" for internet access.

I am sure that I did not explicitly ask for when opening the account.

I opened the account with having a Non O-A (one year visa).

By the rules of Bangkok Bank having a Non-O (or one year extension) is a precondition to get internet access.

Primary requirement (when I set mine up with Bangkok Bank) was having a "1 year Visa" (i.e. a Retirement Extension).

After I had that, the bank set me up for internet banking in a couple minutes. If I recall correctly, I had to go to the ATM machine outside to set up the account initially, then when I got home I could log in from the PC and change my password, add additional accounts and set up payees/transfers/ect/

You can set up automatic payments without internet banking of course, but it is nice to be able to check in and make sure the payments went through on time. 

Once you are set up online, you can add the dealership as a "payee" and set up a payment schedule on a regular basis (you'll need their bank name and account number of course). You need to confirm with the dealership to make sure that they know to apply the payment to your purchase (if you are making payments, they should have an "account" number that you would have to include with the payments, so they know which purchase to credit the payment to).
Remember, it isn't going to be "Somchai" at the local dealership that will be personally handling the transaction from the dealership's side. It will be processed automatically (by the banks and head office finance section) so they need an account number of some kind because they won't know who you are (or why you are sending them money) without it.

Kind of like how when you pay a utility bill online. Your payment is linked to your Utility account number so that it can be automatically credited to your bill.

You can also set up your "teerak" as a "payee" if you want to send her money for any reason (as a one time payment or on a regular basis). Safer to do it that way than to give her your ATM card and PIN !

On 12/15/2018 at 12:02 PM, Mavideol said:

Better go to the bank. you need to access stuff over the ATM machine and after a phone call to the main office 1333 number and they finalize the process, it's easy and fast and works well

I already had a BBL savings account, I called the BBL call centre, they sent me a document and said I needed to print the document and take it, and passbook and passport, and my permanent resident book to a branch. I did that the same day, all fixed at the branch in 30 minutes. 

Edited by scorecard

32 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Primary requirement (when I set mine up with Bangkok Bank) was having a "1 year Visa" (i.e. a Retirement Extension).

After I had that, the bank set me up for internet banking in a couple minutes. If I recall correctly, I had to go to the ATM machine outside to set up the account initially, then when I got home I could log in from the PC and change my password, add additional accounts and set up payees/transfers/ect/

You can set up automatic payments without internet banking of course, but it is nice to be able to check in and make sure the payments went through on time. 

Once you are set up online, you can add the dealership as a "payee" and set up a payment schedule on a regular basis (you'll need their bank name and account number of course). You need to confirm with the dealership to make sure that they know to apply the payment to your purchase (if you are making payments, they should have an "account" number that you would have to include with the payments, so they know which purchase to credit the payment to).
Remember, it isn't going to be "Somchai" at the local dealership that will be personally handling the transaction from the dealership's side. It will be processed automatically (by the banks and head office finance section) so they need an account number of some kind because they won't know who you are (or why you are sending them money) without it.

Kind of like how when you pay a utility bill online. Your payment is linked to your Utility account number so that it can be automatically credited to your bill.

You can also set up your "teerak" as a "payee" if you want to send her money for any reason (as a one time payment or on a regular basis). Safer to do it that way than to give her your ATM card and PIN !

Plus easy to transfer funds to pay BBL credit card (if you have one).

Plus easy to transfer funds to your own savings accounts at other banks. I use this to keep the balance very low in the one savings account I have with an ATM card. And very easy to top it up as needed.

Plus easy to set up so you get an immediate SMS message for every transaction.

Edited by scorecard

Don't recall if in person bank visit necessary, but they snail mail a PIN to your home address HERE in about a week. SLOW process that may be too late for you now. Best to go in person to see if they can expedite. If someone here you trust to collect your mail, perhaps they could get the temp password to you. 

Edited by Skeptic7

The applying is quick...getting the PIN by snail mail isn't. 

Copied from the very bottom of Ubon Joe's link:

Note: Bangkok Bank will process your registration within seven working days (provincial applications may take longer). You will receive the User ID via SMS, then a PIN via post to the address indicated in the application form. You can use your User ID and PIN to log on Bualuang mBanking right away.  

51 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The applying is quick...getting the PIN by snail mail isn't. 

That would be if you had to apply for it at a branch.

When I opened my account I walked outside the bank and used my brand new ATM/Debit card at a ATM to get a temporary user ID and password. Then went online to set up online banking.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Thanks, I went to my branch this morning. The manager said give me your phone.. Then she downloaded the app took me to the atm.. but it wouldn't work.. so we went back inside and she found conflicting info onon my account.. I changed numbers on my phone..that correct she finished everything up.. unfortunately my gf passed 3 weeks ago..her son's going to store the bike while I'm gone..he co signed for the loan..so worst case I do a bank transfer to his bank and he'll take care of it..