PM leads anti-pollution walk along canal

rooster59

PM leads anti-pollution walk along canal

By The Nation

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha led a 5.4-kilometre anti-pollution walk along the banks of the Prem Prachakorn Canal to Wat Benjamabophit on Saturday.

Prayut chaired a ceremony to start the "People Loving Canal - No Littering, No Pouring and Doing Good" campaign at Government House at 7am.

The event was joined by about 5,000 people, including some Cabinet members, and presidents of constitutional organisations, armed forces' commanders-in-chief, senior government officials, and students from various universities as well as representatives from various communities on Bangkok canal's banks.

Speaking during the ceremony, Prayut said the walk was aimed at increasing people's awareness to preserve the environment of canals nationwide in line with the wish of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadel.

The campaign was also aimed at doing good merit on the occasion of King Bhumibol's birthday on December 5, Prayut said.

During the event, residents on the canal banks were told not to litter or pour waste water into the canal.

As part of activities, officials measured the water quality of the canal, collected garbage and trimmed trees along the canal banks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30360465

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Prayut chaired a ceremony to start the "People Loving Canal - No Littering, No Pouring and Doing Good" campaign at Government House at 7am.

Perhaps they could have employed the help of someone to translate their message into good English. "No pouring and doing good".

Is this the best we can expect from our great leader, a rearranging of the chairs while the craft sinks.

• Like 1

A fine effort just 2 months and a bit from election day.

Why not make this an ongoing effort? As such a powerful leader who wants to "return happiness to the people", that can be done in part by starting an awareness campaign to responsibly deal with garbage. Garbage strewn in rivers, on beaches, the streets, walkways, in people's yards ....... is a definite detriment to tourism. Clean up your act and tourism will eventually be assisted. That means more money for many of "your people".

Said here before. When a friend in my home country learned that I am tied to Thailand, he said,

"ewh, that place is filthy, been there once, never go again". (I think it was Pattaya that he and family visited)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

During the event, residents on the canal banks were told not to litter or pour waste water into the canal.

People on the klong boats throw things into the river. as well    As mentioned above, unless there are places to throw things away, the residents will continue to do as they have done.  In horror, I watched one woman throw a plastic bag into the klong with great poise and grace.  She had been doing for so long, she created a certain style doing this inexcusable thing. 

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

People on the klong boats throw things into the river. as well    As mentioned above, unless there are places to throw things away, the residents will continue to do as they have done.  In horror, I watched one woman throw a plastic bag into the klong with great poise and grace.  She had been doing for so long, she created a certain style doing this inexcusable thing. 

After visiting the Jim Thompson House a couple of years ago I went down to the canal at the back  (San Saep ?) and there was a woman throwing large bags of garbage into the water from the back of a pickup. She threw in 7 bags while i watched but I'm guessing she started with a full pickup load, as the remaining bags were piled high up against the back of the cab.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And minutes after telling them this... the PM needed to do a number one and went to hide behind a hovel and relieved himself in the canal...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I didn't notice any mention of locations where residents could dump their waste? Until there is a practical alternative, people will continue to use the easiest way to dump rubbish.

Pretty much every road all throughout Bangkok and most of Thailand has a rubbish collection service, all you have to do it bag it up and leave it beside the road, a practical alternative to chucking it in the canal, some would say.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I didn't notice any mention of locations where residents could dump their waste? Until there is a practical alternative, people will continue to use the easiest way to dump rubbish.

You won't believe it but we have our own private binhouse and whatever i throw in disappears twice a week! And guess what? ALL our neighbours have the same miracle binhouse in their gardens.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

So now every one got a rubbish bin and put their rubbish in it,Now they collect the rubbish Twice a week .

Isn't that marvelous what a walk from number one next to a stinking canal can achieve,,,, Yea dream on   :cheesy:

Yes here we all have that...is all in the yearly fee we all have to pay....

Why you guys don't have that?  I also see thai dumping bags full of rubbish everywhere and those recycle tricycles open the bags, throw all around and search for stuff they can sell. Of course the police has no time for that, they prefer to prey on farang with cigarette butts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

You won't believe it but we have our own private binhouse and whatever i throw in disappears twice a week! And guess what? ALL our neighbours have the same miracle binhouse in their gardens.

Are you sure the people living on the banks of the canal have access to rubbish bins if they are living in accommodation with no vehicular access? I remember seeing a lot of those houses that were very run down.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

So now every one got a rubbish bin and put their rubbish in it,Now they collect the rubbish Twice a week .

Isn't that marvelous what a walk from number one next to a stinking canal can achieve,,,, Yea dream on   :cheesy:

Ah! but where do they dump the rubbish from the bins - back into the canal?

• Thanks 1

I dare him to take a brief stroll along the banks of the Saen Saep Canal - LOL - it's so far gone that it'll never be clean again. Never ever! 

Canals aside, what about the REST of the Kingdom? The place is one huge dump! Very few rubbish bins on the streets - and these are usually overflowing (with plastic cups!); most of rural Thailand doesn't have bin men collecting rubbish in the villages, very, very few recycling bins, etc. 

Just look at the reports over the past 6-9 months of some of the hazardous material foreign nations have secretly shipped (dumped) here. 

I don't believe keeping the canals clean is the right place to start... 

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Are you sure the people living on the banks of the canal have access to rubbish bins if they are living in accommodation with no vehicular access? I remember seeing a lot of those houses that were very run down.

Oh you mean the squatters? They even don't pay rent and dump all in the water..But they can be accessed by longtailboat, those very noisy things that keep everyone awake at night when they go out without any light.

They should clean those places up. They have no function in BKK.

17 hours ago, mok199 said:

Was he ''walking on the water''...

Pretty sure he could in some sections of some khlongs I've seen, with all the trash...

16 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Perhaps they could have employed the help of someone to translate their message into good English. "No pouring and doing good".

Is this the best we can expect from our great leader, a rearranging of the chairs while the craft sinks.

That's what you get with those non-Oxford-comma people get their way... ????

10 hours ago, yellowboat said:

As mentioned above, unless there are places to throw things away, the residents will continue to do as they have done.  

Unfortunately true.  I've carried trash for a good distance looking for a trash can, but I can understand why other people wouldn't-- littering sucks, but so also does carrying your trash around for half an hour because you can't find a dustbin (especially in those cases where you're trying to balance a sticky ice cream wrapper while also carrying other stuff... bit awkward).

And, of course, I've told the story here before of the guy and his dog that I was walking behind... dog crapped, guy picked it up with a kleenex, I thought "oh he picked up his dog's crap, how responsible"... then he deftly pitched it into the adjacent khlong.  *headdesk*  I mean... I guess at least he didn't leave it on the sidewalk...

15 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Pretty much every road all throughout Bangkok and most of Thailand has a rubbish collection service, all you have to do it bag it up and leave it beside the road, a practical alternative to chucking it in the canal, some would say.

And the soi dogs will rip them apart scattering crap from ahole to breakfast time,brilliant idea.????

15 hours ago, fruitman said:

You may be surprised to know that not every body lives in a gated community. Thank god i don't. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes here we all have that...is all in the yearly fee we all have to pay....

Why you guys don't have that?  I also see thai dumping bags full of rubbish everywhere and those recycle tricycles open the bags, throw all around and search for stuff they can sell. Of course the police has no time for that, they prefer to prey on farang with cigarette butts.

It's the care factor,,, for thai people Zero

one day the rivers and canal will be so clean that you could even eat those fishes that you caught in there.

In Singapore they did just that they cleaned up the river and you could see fishes in the river.

In China a man clean up two big water reservoirs. The water in the 2 reservoirs were so polluted that you can't see your fingers if you stick them into the water. Greenish brown water.

It's on the Youtube, so interesting to watch how he did it stage by stage. The final results those people staying near the 2 reservoirs caught so many big fresh water fishes(big ones) and they ate them. Of course it was safe. They had the water tested by the City Hall people and the fishes certified as safe for human consumption.

This one man didn't use any chemical at all. He got rid of all the things , e.g. child bicycle, rubber tubes from car tires, of course lots of plastic bottles etc., then he put a kind of plants to eat up the filth and clear the water. These plants are grown on a wire netting with strong supports and float so they could be moved around or tie up . When the water is quite clear he introduce a kind of fish that eats all the dirty things. These fishes would be finally got rid of by using nets when the water is clear and beautiful. Then the fishes for consumption (the small baby fishes) are introduced into the reservoir. They grow to be big big fishes. These are fishes the people living round that area could get them for free. They all busy catching them with net. Everyone is happy and they no longer throw rubbish into the reservoirs.

What a happy time they had just because one man believe he could do it.

Why don't some Farangs do the same thing in Thailand? Just show them.

"you teach them to fish you feed them for life, you give them some fishes you feed them for a day".

Edited by madusa
add more words