The best path to becoming a long-term visa holder as a non-retiree, working-age tech entrepreneur.

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You never heard of a motorbike being fined for driving without helmet or running a red light?

Yes I have, and a lot more not being fined for driving without helmet or running a red light.

I know there are driverless cars, but riderless motorbikes? Really amazing Thailand to me. ????

Edited by farangx

13 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Let's just face it Jack: When it comes to RTP Thai Immigration. the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Thai Ministry of Industry, the Thai Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, etc., you have a much better idea as to what is right for Thailand than they do.

You understand it wrong. The problem is not that everybody is stupid (but quite a lot are actually incompetent, because many got their job simply because they paid for it or family connections), the problem is that most Thai government workers only look for ways on how to milk as much money for themself out of the system (this is of course largely related to that they had to pay for the job, and they want their investment back), and not how to bring Thailand forward.

Edited by jackdd

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You understand it wrong

No I don't -- there are hundreds of High tech BOI companies and what they want is companies that will invest and hire Thai college graduates. What they maybe don't want is the small startups where they routinely complain on here that they don't need to hire 4 Thais to sit around and pick their nose.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

I explained to you already why these answers aren't clear and they look more like the person who wrote them didn't even understand what the interview was about or had any idea what they are talking about
<snip>

I recommend you read my previous posts again, i explained to you already how "my mate nate" is not the typical online worker, beginning with that he has Thai clients, Thai income and Thai employees.

Not only my mate nate, even though that does show the absolute need. 

The precise and detailed answer that I have provided is totally logical and clear. 

https://thethaiger.com/issues-answers/asked/is-uploading-videos-to-youtube-considered-work

No, it isn’t, as long as the uploading is for fun or to share on social media networks publicly for free. However, if you turn on YouTube ads while living in Thailand, or post them in your own blog where they can collect revenue, this could be considered work. Even if you posted videos while outside Thailand, but then activated or turned on ads related to them, this would still be considered work, as you would be making money while in the country. It means you are working while you are living in the Kingdom. However, if you activated the ads before entering the country, but still received revenue once entering the country for your holiday, then this would not be considered as working while staying in Thailand.

Yaowapa Pibulpol, chief of Phuket Provincial Employment Office (PPEO).

I fail to see how you can conclude from this level of precision, and detail, that it isnt clear.. 

Uploading videos with ad revenue inside the kingdom, working. 
Uploading videos outside the kingdom, and not promoting or actively marketing them, then coming here and letting it earn, passive income and not working. 

Totally clear, and totally logical. 

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

"However, if you turn on YouTube ads while living in Thailand, or post them in your own blog where they can collect revenue, this could be considered work."

Totally clear, and totally logical. 

"could be", yes totally clear, right? Cooking your own food "could" also be considered work, totally clear as well, isn't it?

Many things "could be", but currently it just isn't considered working in Thailand. If it would be clear, why didn't the person just say "is considered work"?

The whole issue of whether or not you can work online on a tourist visa becomes moot point if you can't get a tourist visa. To me, that is the attitude of Thai IMM and Labour: As long as MoFA gives out unlimited succession of tourist visas, we don't care what anyone does as far as working online once they get here.

Edited by JLCrab

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

No I don't -- there are hundreds of High tech BOI companies and what they want is companies that will invest and hire Thai college graduates. What they maybe don't want is the small startups where they routinely complain on here that they don't need to hire 4 Thais to sit around and pick their nose.

Why is it "one or the other" though? 

I absolutely support Thailand supporting their own as you describe.  I go as to far as suggest that any business doing business in Thailand should have a Thai trainee for each foreign worker - in addition to the ratio-requirement.  But, unless I am mistaken, the BOI rules allow those deeper-pocket (10M Baht+ capital) companies to avoid hiring as many Thais per-farang - unlike a small 2MB startup which is required to hire 4 Thais per Farang.  

Every foreigner here making offshore-money and spending it here is a plus.  And, if all business of a small startup company is offshore - not competing with Thai firms for Thai business - no harm is done even if they hired no Thais - though most probably would, at some point.  Even if it is just a secretary or office-cleaner, that is one more job than zero - plus the ongoing spending - vs if they operate in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Panama, instead.

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

You understand it wrong. The problem is not that everybody is stupid (but quite a lot are actually incompetent, because many got their job simply because they paid for it or family connections), the problem is that most Thai government workers only look for ways on how to milk as much money for themself out of the system (this is of course largely related to that they had to pay for the job, and they want their investment back), and not how to bring Thailand forward.

You haven't got a clue how the Thai government work on IT projects, just bar stool talk.

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

"could be", yes totally clear, right? Cooking your own food "could" also be considered work, totally clear as well, isn't it?

Many things "could be", but currently it just isn't considered working in Thailand. If it would be clear, why didn't the person just say "is considered work"?

'Intent' is always a hard thing to prove.. 

the person who intends to make a video for just fun, is not breaking the law, the person who intends to make a 'top 10 sights near nimman' simply to get clicks is breaking the law. 

Perfectly clear and understandable examples were given. The only people who seem to find them confusing are the ones who fall outside of the law. Once again the old quote of “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” ― Upton Sinclair

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

You haven't got a clue how the Thai government work on IT projects, just bar stool talk.

I wasn't even talking specifally about IT projects, but i doubt that IT projects are much different to any other kind of project, which means that a big portion of the money paid for it goes into somebody's private pocket.

What exactly is just bar stool talk?

51 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

'Intent' is always a hard thing to prove.. 

the person who intends to make a video for just fun, is not breaking the law, the person who intends to make a 'top 10 sights near nimman' simply to get clicks is breaking the law. 

Your memory seems to be quite limited, so i quote the sentence about which we were talking again:

"However, if you turn on YouTube ads while living in Thailand, or post them in your own blog where they can collect revenue, this could be considered work."

This is a very simple question: Is turning on youtube ads while being in Thailand to collect revenue work? If the rules are clear, as you say, then this should be simple to answer with a "yes", but the person who allegedly answered this said "could be". If i accidentally turn them on then it's not work? This is what you call a "clear" answer?

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Your memory seems to be quite limited, so i quote the sentence about which we were talking again:

This is a very simple question: Is turning on youtube ads while being in Thailand to collect revenue work? If the rules are clear, as you say, then this should be simple to answer with a "yes", but the person who allegedly answered this said "could be". If i accidentally turn them on then it's not work? This is what you call a "clear" answer?

Yes if turning on ads while in Thailand.. Exactly as it was answered by an official.. But this isnt what you asked is it ?? 

You asked if they monetized a channel, which contained content filmed within Thailand, after they had left the kingdom. That would likely come down to intent at the time the action was performed in the kingdom. 

• 2 months later...

A small update on this topic. Me and my girlfriend are leaving the LOS this month, and never returning. In just three long months I've learned alot about this country, outside of peeking at the TV forums. But, needless to say, we have brighter grass ahead of us in her homeland.

Thanks for anyone with any input into this topic. I didn't expect it to be so popular. ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

A small update on this topic. Me and my girlfriend are leaving the LOS this month, and never returning. In just three long months I've learned alot about this country, outside of peeking at the TV forums. But, needless to say, we have brighter grass ahead of us in her homeland.

Thanks for anyone with any input into this topic. I didn't expect it to be so popular. ????

Sad to hear it, but cannot say I blame you.  Thai-immigration would rather see people like you elsewhere, to spite the good your spending and jobs your business might have created here.  I could not in good conscience advise a young-person to attempt putting down roots here under the current conditions - and as to a business here, there is too much corruption / "hoop jumping" for that, as well.

• Like 1