Pageant-mad Philippines celebrates Miss Universe win

snoop1130

Pageant-mad Philippines celebrates Miss Universe win

REUTERS

_104840605_e80749cf-a225-4f04-b1f2-91100e0661d5.jpg

The Philippines, a country obsessed with beauty pageants, is celebrating its fourth Miss Universe win, sparking a wave of pride and support online.

Catriona Gray beat her global contestants in an early morning final in Bangkok, Thailand on Monday.

While hugely popular, such pageants are often accused of objectifying women and promoting gender inequality.

Activists have described Miss Universe as a "display of flesh" which sets "unattainable beauty standards".

Full Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46588860

38 minutes ago, harada said:

IMHO I think the contestants should have lived in the country that they represent their whole lives to make the contest fair.

It's irrelevant here. If she spent her entire life in Australia she'd still be labelled Filipino or Filipino-Australian. They just can't lose that tag, so why not embrace it? It wouldn't have mattered what sash she was wearing - she still would have won.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

To properly reflect the beauty of the contestants, they should do just that...without any embellishments like makeup or clothing. Anybody can strut around in somebody else's creativity, and have nothing to do with their natural God-given beauty. 

I know there would be a lot more supporters, were that to evolve.

1 hour ago, doacko said:

To properly reflect the beauty of the contestants, they should do just that...without any embellishments like makeup or clothing. Anybody can strut around in somebody else's creativity, and have nothing to do with their natural God-given beauty. 

I know there would be a lot more supporters, were that to evolve.

I've seen her without makeup (YouTube video - after makeup is removed in a night cleansing routine), and she's exceptionally pretty naturally... plus she can sing. There's no taking it away from her - she is exceptional.

• 7 months later...