A Very Unscientific Survey Of My Hotel Guests

simon43

I'm posting this in the General forum as it's more tongue-in-cheek that of value to those interested in hotel accomodation!

My new hotel has now been open for 3 months in Phuket. During that period, I've seen all different nationalities pass through the doors. There seems to be a definite characteristic for different nations!

(BTW, this post is full of non-PC, racial sterotyping comments...)

Which nationality is the most tight-fisted after checking in, bringing their own coffee and tea-bags, and paying only for the room and nothing else - The Dutch (every time...)

Which nationality haggles the most to get a room-rate discounted down to a few hundred baht - The Italians

Which nationality is the most rude to hotel staff - The Chinese

Which nationality steadfastly ignores the no-smoking signs in the bedrooms - The Thais

Which nationality is the most friendlly and appreciative - The Ozzies!

Anyone care to refute these racist allegations? :o

Simon

Thanks Simon. Looks like the problems are the same the world over. I run a motel in northern NSW (Australia).

Most tight-fisted: English

Most haggling for a better room rate: Dutch.

Most rude to staff: None that I have encountered.

Ignores the no-smoking signs: Japanese

Friendliest: Germans

Maybe it's the warm weather (Murwillumbah's weather is very similar to Pattaya) but the English have at least 2 showers a day here and use the most water.

Peter

Which nationality is the most tight-fisted after checking in, bringing their own coffee and tea-bags, and paying only for the room and nothing else - Germans

Which nationality haggles the most to get a room-rate discounted down - Israelis

Which nationality is the most rude to hotel staff - The Israelis

Which nationality steadfastly ignores the no-smoking signs in the bedrooms - The Israelis

Which nationality is the most friendlly and appreciative - Oddly enough, younger Americans who try so hard not to live up to the "Ugly American" stereotype.

Don't get me wrong, a building full of Israelis can be fun, if somewhat loud. It's certainly never dull. :o

Entertaining thread while it lasts.... :D

So long as it stays tongue-in-cheek there shouldn't be a problem...

:o

But please do be careful with your choice of words... there's a fine line between this type of humour and racial slurring.

Not a hotelier, but I would concur wwith your observations just by what I have seen and heard.

I would add, biggest pain in the butties and most likely to damage property: young Israeli army vets in groups.

Any data on most likely to do a runner?

Seems to be about right. :o

post-32068-1171935595_thumb.jpg

Which nationality is the most tight-fisted after checking in, bringing their own coffee and tea-bags, and paying only for the room and nothing else - Germans

Which nationality haggles the most to get a room-rate discounted down - Israelis

Which nationality is the most rude to hotel staff - The Israelis

Which nationality steadfastly ignores the no-smoking signs in the bedrooms - The Israelis

Which nationality is the most friendlly and appreciative - Oddly enough, younger Americans who try so hard not to live up to the "Ugly American" stereotype.

Don't get me wrong, a building full of Israelis can be fun, if somewhat loud. It's certainly never dull. :D

Geez, Vic, thought you were a love and peace and everybody has a right to their metre of the earth and a totally PC kind of guy. :o

Which nationality bitches about the most trivial things: The Americans.

Which nationality refuses to sit around the swimming pool in the sunshine: The English.

Which nationality sneaks the most lady boys into their rooms: The Italians.

Which nationality walks together in large, tight knit groups: The Chinese.

Which nationality dresses worst: The Aussies.

Which nationality always checks themselves out in every mirror: The French.

Which nationality take over the largest table just to sit and chat with each other: The Danes.

Which nationality tip the most to the girls: The Japanese.

Which nationality really know how to enjoy themselves: The New Zealanders.

I forgot to add:

'Which nationality steals towels, Thai silk bed-covers, drinks etc? - ALL nationalities!!

I never fail to be amazed when mature or elderly Swiss, Swedes or guests from other nationalities make off with our room possessions!! Is it considered 'fair-game' to smile and pay your bill on one hand and then steal with the other?

(Yes, I do a room inspection, but it tarnishes the atmosphere when you have to say 'Hang on a moment whilst we check that you havn't stolen anything...'

Simon

The Japanese are never any trouble. Their one problem is that they will never tell you what's wrong. I had two large groups of Japanese girls check out on me before their stay was up and they wouldn't tell me why. Took a few days to figure out that the half-wit who installed the exaust fans in the men's toilets below that suite had not ducted the fans properly and they were venting directly into that room via the heat ducts. :o

I'm posting this in the General forum as it's more tongue-in-cheek that of value to those interested in hotel accomodation!

My new hotel has now been open for 3 months in Phuket. During that period, I've seen all different nationalities pass through the doors. There seems to be a definite characteristic for different nations!

Which nationality is the most tight-fisted after checking in, bringing their own coffee and tea-bags, and paying only for the room and nothing else - The Dutch (every time...)

Which nationality haggles the most to get a room-rate discounted down to a few hundred baht - The Italians

Which nationality steadfastly ignores the no-smoking signs in the bedrooms - The Thais

Which nationality is the most friendlly and appreciative - The Ozzies!

Anyone care to refute these racist allegations? :D

Simon

oh simon,

it is so pleasing that you appreciate us australians as the truly great people we are, being friendly and appreciative of all people.

thank you very much. :o

its a lovely guesture that you present.

from terence

Which nationality tip the most to the girls: The Japanese.

??? Must be to the girlie bar girls.

BTW, when I mentioned Israelis in army vet groups, that is what I meant: in groups, partying after their stint in the service. I have met many Israeli travellers who are lovely.

True Simon, I knew a wealthy Portuguese couple whose house was filled with stolen goods from airlines and hotels. Glasses, blankets, towels, dishes, cutlery. Embarrassing.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

I have a book store and The Dutch are my friendliest and least cheap customers. They virtually never complain about prices even though Dutch books tend to be more expensive than those from other places (bigger, more expensive editions).

I have only had one Dutch customer that was a w*nker since I opened seven years ago, and he wasn't really too bad compared to others. Pretty much every other nationality has jerks, but more good people than bad.

One thing that I find strange is how everyone complains about Israelis. Yes, they have kind of an irritating venire, but after I get past the first impression, I find them to be polite, friendly and well read. After I let them know that my prices are fixed, I have had fewer problems with them than any other nationality besides the Dutch.

The biggest problem I have had was with Germans trying to bargain about prices and refusing to stop when I first opened. I put up big official looking signs that say FESTPREISE (fixed prices) in just the German section and have never been bothered since. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sorry Simon, but we (wife and myself) haven't been in your hotel yet; I promise not to bring any coffee and teabags, ok? :o

But can I please bring my own Dutch cheese? :D

I feel ashamed for my fellow countrymen for doing so and also stealing your towels, Thai silk bedcovers (unbelievable!) and drinks. Shame on them ! :D

Tip: in any hotel, all over the world, it's common practice that the check-out counter phones the maid-service to check the hotelroom (and bar); that's quite normal.

If they report missing towels, drinks or other stuff, like Thai silk bedcovers....just add it up to their bill and have a look at their faces..... :D

We always report eventual used drinks from the minibar, upfront, before paying. I couldn't stand the loss of face if we didn't !

You have to act tougher !

LaoPo

I put up big official looking signs that say FESTPRIESE (fixed prices) in just the German section and have never been bothered since. :o

Sorry, maybe it's a writing error but it's 'Festpreise'.

LaoPo

I forgot to add:

'Which nationality steals towels, Thai silk bed-covers, drinks etc? - ALL nationalities!!

I never fail to be amazed when mature or elderly Swiss, Swedes or guests from other nationalities make off with our room possessions!! Is it considered 'fair-game' to smile and pay your bill on one hand and then steal with the other?

(Yes, I do a room inspection, but it tarnishes the atmosphere when you have to say 'Hang on a moment whilst we check that you havn't stolen anything...'

Simon

It used to upset me when checking out that I had to wait for a room inspection (even if there was no minibar). I've befriended several hoteliers since and I was shocked to hear how much pilferage they suffered from guests. I understand now, and it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I call for the inspection as I'm leaving, to save time. edit: One thing you might consider Simon, is posting a price list of all items in the room on the back of the door. I've seen this in many hotels and it icludes even the bed, TV, remote, sheets, etc.

Edited by lannarebirth

I forgot to add:

Simon

It used to upset me when checking out that I had to wait for a room ionspection (even if there was no minibar). I've befriended several hoteliers since and I was shocked to hear how much pilferage they suffered from guests. It understand now, and it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I call for the inspection as I'm leaving, to save time.

Exactly; the problem is that in many cases the floor/maid service isn't that fast and once you arrive at the check-out counter/cashier they don't yet know the outcome of the room inspection...

LaoPo

What gets me is the amount of people who will vandalize and pilfer a room like a horde of mongols then act bewidered and victimized when you charge every penny of the cleaning, and repairs to their credit card.

Do you get many Downs sufferers staying in your establishment?

What gets me is the amount of people who will vandalize and pilfer a room like a horde of mongols then act bewidered and victimized when you charge every penny of the cleaning, and repairs to their credit card.

Do you get many Downs sufferers staying in your establishment?

It would seem like it sometimes :o

(Out of that business for the time being)

Well if I were a hotel owner I think its not the brightest idea posting your "Unscientific Survey" cause any potential customers of the above nationalities who were considering staying at your hotel phuket will go elsewhere if they read this..........tongue in cheek or not.

Well if I were a hotel owner I think its not the brightest idea posting your "Unscientific Survey" cause any potential customers of the above nationalities who were considering staying at your hotel phuket will go elsewhere if they read this..........tongue in cheek or not.

This probably illustrates why you are not a hotel owner, as it might necessitate a sense of humour.

Good luck in your chosen profession.