2yr to 5yr DL - my experience

Andrew Dwyer

Renewed my Thai DL today at Ayutthaya DLT.

Renewal date Jan 20th 2019 , so more than 1 month, not sure exactly how many days allowed.

Arrived 7.45, with:

Passport and usual copies.

Medical certificate ( 100 baht )

Residence certificate ( 0 baht ).

4 tests:

Traffic lights colours.

Peripheral colours.

Reaction.

Depth perception.

1 farang ( me ) plus a boatload of Thais, some renewing some first timers ( probably driving for years already [emoji15])

Paid 550 baht ( car only ).

Various desks, very well organised !.

Out at 9.30 , 1 hr 45 minutes total !

Happy !! [emoji4]

Note: 1 guy quizzed about his shorts, he was not applying , but did see one guy applying in shorts at photo stage. Sooo, not sure, but best to be in long pants .

I think you have been given a good service.

Can you please tell me if you renewed your license before or after expiry date ?

Thanks....

Before, if you renew after the renewal date on a 2 year they will only give you another 2 not a 5 year , so I am lead to believe. ( source . TVF posters )

I actually renewed 32 days before renewal, not sure how early you are allowed but I thought my residence certificate would maybe take a while ( turns out it was instant and free !! ).

• Like 1

No traffic video?

Both Thai's & farang are herded in to watch them.....Shown in both languages.....

I went in about 30 early also.....Some advised that you wait until expiration.....To me that didn't make any sense.....

Edited by pgrahmm

19 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

Can you please tell me if you renewed your license before or after expiry date ?

Thanks....

Interesting question; I went in to check at the Pattaya office and was told to come back on the actual date of expiry.  This is for 2yr to 5yr car license only.

Got the certificate of residence from Jomtien Imm office yesterday, quite easy but a little bit of waiting around.  Couldn't believe how small the office was and how many people they deal with!

21 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

Thanks....

Renewal date Jan 20th 2019 

I guess that makes it before!!!!

Interesting question; I went in to check at the Pattaya office and was told to come back on the actual date of expiry.  This is for 2yr to 5yr car license only.
Got the certificate of residence from Jomtien Imm office yesterday, quite easy but a little bit of waiting around.  Couldn't believe how small the office was and how many people they deal with!

Personally I wouldn’t risk waiting until the actual date of expiry, rumour has it that if it expires you only get another 2 yr not a 5 yr ! who knows what could happen on the day !

I would get my stuff together:
Passport and copies.
Residence certificate.
Medical certificate.
and go back to immigration a week before expiry or even sooner.
I was 32 days before , you won’t lose anything by going early , your 5 yr DL will be 5 years plus up to your birthday, 5 1/2 years in my case.
  • Like 1

Renewal date Jan 20th 2019 , so more than 1 month, not sure exactly how many days allowed.

Arrived 7.45, with:
Medical certificate ( 100 baht )
Residence certificate ( 0 baht ).

4 tests:
Traffic lights colours.
Peripheral colours.
Reaction.
Depth perception.

1 farang ( me ) plus a boatload of Thais, some renewing some first timers ( probably driving for years already [emoji15])

Paid 550 baht ( car only ).

Various desks, very well organised !.

Out at 9.30 , 1 hr 45 minutes total !

Happy !! [emoji4]

Note: 1 guy quizzed about his shorts, he was not applying , but did see one guy applying in shorts at photo stage. Sooo, not sure, but best to be in long pants .

What shorts was he wearing?
  • Sad 2

What shorts was he wearing?

1st guy had some multicoloured 3/4 length shorts on , mainly red in colour, didn’t get the brand name or see his footwear but would assume flip flops.
2nd guy had dark blue chino shorts on , above knee, more discreet but still shorts. Also had loafers on and a big ponytail , was going for the “ hey ! am in my late 40’s but single and available “ sort of look .

So it would appear that shorts are allowed with reasonable footwear and providing that they are discreet.

NOTE: I have gone with the assumption that your question is serious and answered accordingly.

If your question is meant to be humorous or sarcastic then my answer would be:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1st guy had some multicoloured 3/4 length shorts on , mainly red in colour, didn’t get the brand name or see his footwear but would assume flip flops.

2nd guy had dark blue chino shorts on , above knee, more discreet but still shorts. Also had loafers on and a big ponytail , was going for the “ hey ! am in my late 40’s but single and available “ sort of look .

So it would appear that shorts are allowed with reasonable footwear and providing that they are discreet.

NOTE: I have gone with the assumption that your question is serious and answered accordingly.

If your question is meant to be humorous or sarcastic then my answer would be:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

They were probably profiling. Tragic guys wear 3/4 length shorts and being red would have alerted them.

And wherever there's a ponytail there's an Ahole, even they know that

22 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

Thanks....

Mr Dwyer posted:

However, if it expires, as mine did, on my 70th birthday, and I renewed it ONE DAY after, I would get 5 years and 364 days on the new one.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

They were probably profiling. Tragic guys wear 3/4 length shorts and being red would have alerted them. 
And wherever there's a ponytail there's an Ahole, even they know that

Yep, seems strange why DLT are strict on dress code while at immigration I see guys who look like they’ve just stepped off a long board !

As I said, the red shorts guy got quizzed and the ponytail got through, seems like Thai officials are impressed by people who still have the nerve to wear 70’s fashion [emoji51]

I managed to get a 2yr DL on a tourist visa up country in Pakthongchai and when I moved to Bangkok I tried to renew but not possible on another TV. Wouldn't give me cert. of res. Now on a Non-Imm O-A, license expired 16 mths, got COR and got new 5yr DL.. I was expecting on 2yr DL but to my amazement was given 5yr DL.. I did have to also sit computer test scoring 45/50 (90%) which is the minimum pass.. I studied the Q + A from a previous TV post and just scraped in.. Otherwise would have been too much guesswork as many made no sense at all to a westerner..

• Haha 1

I managed to get a 2yr DL on a tourist visa up country in Pakthongchai and when I moved to Bangkok I tried to renew but not possible on another TV. Wouldn't give me cert. of res. Now on a Non-Imm O-A, license expired 16 mths, got COR and got new 5yr DL.. I was expecting on 2yr DL but to my amazement was given 5yr DL.. I did have to also sit computer test scoring 45/50 (90%) which is the minimum pass.. I studied the Q + A from a previous TV post and just scraped in.. Otherwise would have been too much guesswork as many made no sense at all to a westerner..

Well done man, you must surely be the exception .

Did mine last month. The photo taken shows me almost down to waist. Ah well, TIT.

On my photo I was looking straight at the camera but I assume I was too high, sooo, instead of raising the camera he asked me to tip my head down !!

So now my photo is of the top of my head , which is probably exactly the same as 90 % of the farang community !! I.e. follicly challenged [emoji69]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

On my photo I was looking straight at the camera but I assume I was too high, sooo, instead of raising the camera he asked me to tip my head down !!

So now my photo is of the top of my head , which is probably exactly the same as 90 % of the farang community !! I.e. follicly challenged emoji69.png

Your clearly not a TRD Fortuna Owner. They can only get a picture of the Mouth on the Licence.

• Like 1

Nice that you get your residence certificate free. At Hua Hin they charge everyone 500 baht and no receipt given. Busy little office too Nice Christmas fund they're building up. 

PS you have to wait for your 2 year license to expire, then apply for the 5 year. 

Nice that you get your residence certificate free. At Hua Hin they charge everyone 500 baht and no receipt given. Busy little office too Nice Christmas fund they're building up. 

PS you have to wait for your 2 year license to expire, then apply for the 5 year. 

Yup, I paid 500 baht in Pathum Thani for a residence certificate, but now with the “ no tips “ deal going on I think many are playing by the rules .

Re your PS, not sure if that is what they told you but many on here say if you let your 2 yr expire you only get another 2 year?
I didn’t risk it, renewed a month early and it worked out okay.

I would like some more info. regarding (0 baht) for CofR

Well I guess it differs from immigration to immigration.

I first got one at Pathum Thani immigration and it cost 500 baht but that was 2 years ago.

This week I got one at Ayutthaya immigration and there was no charge, it was done while I waited, roughly 5 minutes. I took with me:
Copy of gf’s tabian bahn.
Passport size photo.

Someone on this thread has said a CofR costs 500 baht at Hua Hin but I’m not sure if this is recent.

I suspect some immigration offices are now providing free of charge after the “ No Tips “ campaign but maybe there are some who are still charging ?

Would be interesting to hear from other posters recent experiences regarding the CofR at different IO’s .
  • Thanks 1

Excusez  moi, for being busybody. License to drive or no license to drive does it makes any difference in Thailand?

What's this wearing of short pants cannot get his license renewal?. See they got their priority wrong.

Well, we all know the accident rate(mortality or light injury) correspond to the amount of corruption if you care to make a sort of scale to represent the visual perception.

I hate to say this, the accident rate will keep the population down . Yes it is quite effective though in a horrible way. As I said I hate to say this.

On 12/19/2018 at 11:46 AM, pgrahmm said:

No traffic video?

Both Thai's & farang are herded in to watch them.....Shown in both languages.....

I went in about 30 early also.....Some advised that you wait until expiration.....To me that didn't make any sense.....

No video for me either, just the quick reaction tests at Mochit

On 12/19/2018 at 11:46 AM, pgrahmm said:

Would have made sense.

Now your next due date is in about 5 years (on your birthday).

Would you have gone just after expiry it would be 6 years.

Discussed a zillion times in the forum.

Sometimes advise is good.

(sometimes not :tongue:)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Would have made sense.
Now your next due date is in about 5 years (on your birthday).
Would you have gone just after expiry it would be 6 years.
Discussed a zillion times in the forum.
Sometimes advise is good.
(sometimes not :tongue:)

Depends !!

If we are talking about renewing a 2 year to a 5 year ( which is what the thread is about ) then your advice would not be good !!.

Renewing a 2 yr to a 5 yr BEFORE RENEWAL will get you 5 years plus up to your birthday ( 5 1/2 years in my case ).

Renewing a 2 yr to a 5 yr AFTER RENEWAL will get you exactly 2 years !

Renewing a 5 yr to a 5 yr BEFORE RENEWAL will get you 5 years.

Renewing a 5 yr to a 5 yr AFTER RENEWAL will get you 6 years.