Number of tourists visiting Phuket still high – TAT Phuket

webfact

Number of tourists visiting Phuket still high – TAT Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__21258266.jpg

In response to a number of completely fabricated negative stories about Phuket’s current tourism situation, Kanokkittika Kritwuttikorn, the director of Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket Office says, “Number of tourists visiting Phuket is still good when compared to last year’s numbers. We’ve also spoken to many regional tour operators who say that bookings are ‘solid’ for this time of the year.”

“Number of tourists’ check-in hotels last month is 71.77 percent which is almost the same compared with last year.”

“Ratio of Thai and foreign tourists is 15:85. Total visitors are 1,034,908 in November. An average spend for each visitor per day day is 8,212 baht which generated 40,391.47 million baht in November.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/number-of-tourists-visiting-phuket-still-high-tat-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-19
  • Haha 2

Just by typing: "phuket tourism statistics 2017" into Google search, I got the following info: 

"PEBA members number 500 in Patong, with about 200 businesses in the Bangla Road entertainment area. ... In 2017 the number of tourists visiting Thailandexceeded 35 million. Thanasak expects daily tourist spending to increase to 5,200 baht per person in 2017, up from 5,100 baht in 2016.

Tourism in Thailand - Wikipedia

However, according to Kanokkittika Kritwuttikorn, the director of Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket Office: “Ratio of Thai and foreign tourists is 15:85. Total visitors are 1,034,908 in November. An average spend for each visitor per day day is 8,212 baht which generated 40,391.47 million baht in November.”

Either someone is lying, or the average spend per visitor is up a whopping 58% year-on-year!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In response to a number of completely fabricated negative stories about Phuket’s current tourism situation,

This information is confidential: For hansum farang eyes only.  Can be confirmed by gf's "cousin" that you loaned money for new motorcycle, sleeps on couch when you are away, and cares for her moms sick buffalo(s).  

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

"An average spend for each visitor per day day is 8,212 baht"

i'm just gonna call <deleted> on this for a start :cheesy:

also 1,034,908 x 8,212 does NOT equal 40 billion.. not even close 

It does if each tourist stays an average of 5 days

• Haha 1

and....  another calculation to be taken into account ...   more hotels and condo,s being built for less arrivals ...  just take a tour around Rawai and see how many new buildings are going up ...  and how many that are complete and still nearly empty ..  

The amount of buses in chalong is down in my opinion a few hundred buses a day.

My calculations are based on having lunch at chalong circle every day. The only way in or out.

Last year i almost quit the restaurants because buses were so many it was really badl.

Now a bus does not pass in my entire lunch .

The parking lot is half full and there are 75 percent of the speed boats still on the beach at noon.

I am the only customer at lunch in general.

Last year half full.

There was more buisness in august and september than now.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

The amount of buses in chalong is down in my opinion a few hundred buses a day.

My calculations are based on having lunch at chalong circle every day. The only way in or out.

Last year i almost quit the restaurants because buses were so many it was really badl.

Now a bus does not pass in my entire lunch .

The parking lot is half full and there are 75 percent of the speed boats still on the beach at noon.

I am the only customer at lunch in general.

Last year half full.

There was more buisness in august and september than now.

Most of your post is what I alluded to in a previous post. 

Many expats are happy the island is quiet, but picture Phuket becoming so quiet, that restaurants only have one customer for lunch, then that restaurant closes down, and now you have to look for alternatives, until they close down, and so on and so on, until only a few bigger establishment are the only places open, and then you are limited for choice. 

We all have a vested interest in seeing the tourism industry thrive on Phuket, but sadly, it appears to be in a sharp decline, for the many reasons already commented on in this thread.   

• Like 1

The TAT and other organisations collate their ststistics from a very small number of tourism establishments. Hotels used are probably all high end, probably the type of hotel that will always have a similar occupancy rate regardless of season or how the rest of the island is doing. I know someone posted on here the other day that the Hilton Arcadia was running at a third of last year's occupancy. Small hotels' figures aren't even taken into account, nor are Airbnbs of course. And what about all the guesthouses that have closed down?

Where the Chinese arrival stats have come from I don't know but you only need to look in the car parks of the gem and latex shops to see the difference. This December two or three buses; last season 20-30 in some places. Don't tell me that the so-called FIT Chinese have replaced the package tourists by almost one for one!

TAT = tosh and twaddle.

• Like 2

I drive along Rawai beach road every night between 6-30 and 7 pm it is not busy get to the corner where the gypsy village is, used to be teeming with tour buses and Chinese not now, I dont know about late at night

Edited by ChipButty