Do You Know Any Good Internet Resorces For Lesson Plans?

garro

Personally I'd have thought that it was almost impossible to create oven ready lesson plans - each class is different, they start from a different place, they each have different group and interpersonal dynamics, all groups have different abilities and they each have different strengths and weaknesses all of which mean that a proper lesson plan is tailoured to the group on a class by class basis; because they might shoot through a whole set of learning objectives yet it'll take a number of classes to hit another objective. And of course it all depends on the syllabus and the level. And don't forget that the lesson plan is really based on what your capabilities are as a teacher; in other words they are personal (and dynamic) if they're going to be effective.

Lesson planning is one of the first things they teach you in teacher training and IMHO it one of the keys to being a good teacher. But then I've heard that in some ESL schools they stick to a set plan, almost timed to the minute, and you just trot it out :D . I don't know how true that is but it isn't teaching.

I'm not sure that helped much. :o

It's good to discuss LP's. My teacher training stressed lesson plans, and we had to put a reasonable time span in each stage of the plan (e.g., 5-7 minutes). We expected such schedules would be too short or too long, and planned for that, also. You have to have some kind of outline, and not just go into class and see what page they finished last time you met ("Class, open your books to page 9 and do activity 3").

Agreed, that lesson plans need to be tailored to each class and each teacher, unless you have 3 nearly identical classes of M3 who need the past tense continuous.

A good lesson plan simply organizes your preparation, your presentation, and your own post-evaluation.

After you've taught a hundred classes with LP's, you can probably write another LP in ten minutes. That's assuming you know the material, yourself, and the class.

Personally I'd have thought that it was almost impossible to create oven ready lesson plans - each class is different, they start from a different place, they each have different group and interpersonal dynamics, all groups have different abilities and they each have different strengths and weaknesses all of which mean that a proper lesson plan is tailoured to the group on a class by class basis; because they might shoot through a whole set of learning objectives yet it'll take a number of classes to hit another objective. And of course it all depends on the syllabus and the level. And don't forget that the lesson plan is really based on what your capabilities are as a teacher; in other words they are personal (and dynamic) if they're going to be effective.

Lesson planning is one of the first things they teach you in teacher training and IMHO it one of the keys to being a good teacher. But then I've heard that in some ESL schools they stick to a set plan, almost timed to the minute, and you just trot it out :D . I don't know how true that is but it isn't teaching.

I'm not sure that helped much. :o

It's good to discuss LP's. My teacher training stressed lesson plans, and we had to put a reasonable time span in each stage of the plan (e.g., 5-7 minutes). We expected such schedules would be too short or too long, and planned for that, also. You have to have some kind of outline, and not just go into class and see what page they finished last time you met ("Class, open your books to page 9 and do activity 3").

Agreed, that lesson plans need to be tailored to each class and each teacher, unless you have 3 nearly identical classes of M3 who need the past tense continuous.

A good lesson plan simply organizes your preparation, your presentation, and your own post-evaluation.

After you've taught a hundred classes with LP's, you can probably write another LP in ten minutes. That's assuming you know the material, yourself, and the class.

I agree with both of you but always find it difficult to plan lessons for the last few weeks of term. The two schools where I teach are very rural and there is no other English teachers to share ideas with. I often do revision for the last week or two of term but this week I sort of ran out of ideas.

I checked out the lesson plans on the internet and they weren't that great. They did give me some ideas though. I ended up giving a lesson on telephone conversations which went OK.