Proof of Residence Outside of BKK?

If you live outside BKK, but near a sizable town (where you can get motorbike license), what do/did you have to do to prove residence there (specifically, for Dept. Land Transport license)? There's along wait to get motorbike license in BKK, so I'm thinking of moving outside of town for however long it takes to get a license. Thx.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, Mavideol said:

yellow book (tabien ban) electricity & water bill, letter from homeowner/lease agreement, non o visa stamp, residence letter from immigration.... have a choice

You may find all of the above needs to be verified at the local Amper (Townhall) first.

Police station used to do it but it's now the Amper. They do same for free. If you have a yellow book you can use that directly at the DLT no need for verification.

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Last I heard Chonburi DLT wont accept that. For them it's a residence certificate only. Immigration provide them.

That's Chonburi, where I live it's the only thing they accept. Seems all DLT are different. Don't know why they don't accept as it's you proof of residence from the Thai government. More than likely they don't know.

When I did my last renewal the stupid young lady said she couldn't accept my yellow book. I told her to go check with her boss. 5 min: later another lady came back all apologetic sorry it ok. She new. The first one never showed her head again whilst I was there. some 1.1/2 hours. They don't like to be proved incorrect.

On 12/20/2018 at 4:53 PM, Mavideol said:

yellow book (tabien ban) electricity & water bill, letter from homeowner/lease agreement, non o visa stamp, residence letter from immigration.... have a choice

Where do you live in Thailand?

So, in you area, any ONE of these is sufficient?

1) yellow book, PLUS electricity & water bill

2) letter from homeowner/lease agreement

3) non o visa stamp

4) residence letter from immigration

I suppose in order to get #4, you'd need one or more of the other items.

I'm not married to a Thai, so don't have #3. (I have retirement visa).

Wonder if there's a cheap/decent place in your area where I could get #2?

11 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Go to Immigration and get a Letter of Residency. You can get a license usually in one day. Take the computer test and watch videos in the morning then take the drivers test after lunch. 

Where do you live?

In BKK there's a few month wait to get motorbike drivers license (even though I already have Thai car license). Also in BKK it takes something like a month to get a Letter of Residency from Immigration. (But a similar letter from my US embassy is also fine, and only takes one day to get.)

If you live out of BKK, do you think there's an apartment or residence hotel there that would give me the paperwork I need to get the Letter of Res.?

35 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

[re: yellow book]

That's Chonburi, where I live it's the only thing they accept.

Seems like only farang married to Thais can get yellow book, right? So they must accept other proofs of residence, like the Letter of Residence that you can get from the Thai gov't. Chai mai?

33 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Seems like only farang married to Thais can get yellow book, right? So they must accept other proofs of residence, like the Letter of Residence that you can get from the Thai gov't. Chai mai?

Correct you need to be married. Before I was married I had to get a letter from the local headman that was done at the Amper (Townhall) seems every sub district has a head man. So you will have to find him. Try the Amper first they will put you right. (Tip take someone that speaks Thai) Some will do it for a small backhander without a head mans paperwork. Our one does but I don't live in C/Mai. Worth a try anyway.

I cant believe that it takes weeks to get a M/C licence. I arrived at DLT filled out the paper work. Name address passport No: and then had a comp: snap done. Got mine and the car one in around and hour & 1/2 that's because you have to look at a stupid video. (They even put in on in English in their office for me) After I had watched the video my new licences were ready to pick up.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

When I did my last renewal the stupid young lady said she couldn't accept my yellow book. I told her to go check with her boss. 5 min: later another lady came back all apologetic sorry it ok. She new. The first one never showed her head again whilst I was there. some 1.1/2 hours. They don't like to be proved incorrect.

Yes, sounds like one more local "rule" that changes with the direction the wind is blowing. There certainly have been many reports on here of the yellow book being refused in Chonburi DLT though, so hopefully that is now no longer the case. If people have gone to the trouble of getting a book with their name in it, they ought to be able to use it.

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, sounds like one more local "rule" that changes with the direction the wind is blowing. There certainly have been many reports on here of the yellow book being refused in Chonburi DLT though, so hopefully that is now no longer the case. If people have gone to the trouble of getting a book with their name in it, they ought to be able to use it.

It seems that they change the rules to suite themselves. I think they like to make things hard for the non Thais. Making it easier for themselves to have to sort out. C/Buri must have a lot of non Thai's to deal with. Hence make the rules up as they think. 

Where I live all is made simple. When we got married in our local Amper I had to show my paperwork, sign a few bit's on their forms. I then went to the local OTOP market to do some shopping leaving the G/L there. On arriving back now wife was in a room where they changed her ID. Whilst this was going on my Yellow book was sorted. Cost free except a few BHT for the stamp for the marriage. Total time was around 2 hours. Very romantic and I wasn't even there.

The Yellow Books a mystery to me. So i asked a gaggle of "OLD" Ex Pats . Its not needed if you are married to a Thai Lady who owns property and has blue books for them, you use that address to get a licence, YELLOW seem to be used by Folks married or not who dont own the house they live in. Also some say you can get a Thai Id Card, but after listening to what use they are over a ThaI Driving Licence i fell asleep.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:51 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

completely incorrect, I am not married to a Thai and I have a yellow book

13 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Yellow Books a mystery to me. So i asked a gaggle of "OLD" Ex Pats . Its not needed if you are married to a Thai Lady who owns property and has blue books for them, you use that address to get a licence, YELLOW seem to be used by Folks married or not who dont own the house they live in. Also some say you can get a Thai Id Card, but after listening to what use they are over a ThaI Driving Licence i fell asleep.

No Yellow book you will need a Letter of Residence from Thai Immigration. Need a Yellow Book to get a Thai ID card.

2 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

What benefits are there for ID Holders over their full licence, the replies i got were just waffle. Just seem they like to impress people or something. Not one gave a clear benefit.?. Yet there must be.

different people have different requirements and/or expectations about the benefits or the use of a document, if it doesn't fit yours, let it go

26 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

What benefits are there for ID Holders over their full licence, the replies i got were just waffle. Just seem they like to impress people or something. Not one gave a clear benefit.?. Yet there must be.

Takes the place of a Letter of Residence and only ID you need to carry in Thailand. No need to carry a passport or copy of your passport.

58 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

You have been given the incorrect info. My wife has a blue book and I'm named on it as well. Sorry but no use as it's not excepted as proof of address. I have tried it many times prior to getting a yellow book. Even having a yellow book doesn't always work at some places it seems.

51 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Try booking into a hotel now without a passport or ID card and they will refuse you. Saying that if you go with your G/L they will book you in using her ID card) On your own you'll be buggered. Seems most times you will need passport as that shows your Visa. They have to now take a copy of your Visa as well as your main page of passport. Used to be able to use D/Licence. Not accepted now as no proof of Visa.

N/B their are new rules if you spend more than 24 hours out of you place of residents you must report to the local Visa office or police. Within the said 24 hours or there will be a fine.  You must let them know where you are at all times. No problem if you are staying in Hotel as they do it for you.

10 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Try booking into a hotel now without a passport or ID card and they will refuse you. Saying that if you go with your G/L they will book you in using her ID card) On your own you'll be buggered. Seems most times you will need passport as that shows your Visa. They have to now take a copy of your Visa as well as your main page of passport. Used to be able to use D/Licence. Not accepted now as no proof of Visa.

We all have passports. So still another waffle answer.Only positive yellow reply ive had was it benefited Married Folk whoes Wife owned  nothing and has no blue book. One yesterday said he got his licence using yellow, but already a poster says different, you need some form from Imo. All confusing me because i have friend whoes lived in a nice Hotel wife free for 20 years. His licence is the Hotels Address.

2 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

We all have passports. So still another waffle answer.Only positive yellow reply ive had was it benefited Married Folk whoes Wife owned  nothing and has no blue book. One yesterday said he got his licence using yellow, but already a poster says different, you need some form from Imo. All confusing me because i have friend whoes lived in a nice Hotel wife free for 20 years. His licence is the Hotels Address.

Nothing to do with you all having passports. We are talking about yellow books ID if you hadn't grasped that. 

I think your the one that doesn't understand anything. Please go check at you local Visa office and read up on all the NEW rules that now apply.

Regards friend living in hotel that's where he is registered so will be his address. So totally irrelevant.

And by the way if you look at my post you will see that my Wife does own a house and has all the books THAT I AM NAMED ON. And I cant use it as place of address.

8 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Nothing to do with you all having passports. We are talking about yellow books ID if you hadn't grasped that. 

I think your the one that doesn't understand anything. Please go check at you local Visa office and read up on all the NEW rules that now apply.

Regards friend living in hotel that's where he is registered so will be his address. So totally irrelevant.

And by the way if you look at my post you will see that my Wife does own a house and has all the books THAT I AM NAMED ON. And I cant use it as place of address.

Newbies have new rule's that i and the old chaps spoken with didnt need as our licences were done 27+ years ago on faded blue books..

55 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Newbies have new rule's that i and the old chaps spoken with didnt need as our licences were done 27+ years ago on faded blue books..

That might have been correct many years ago. But things do change. You used to have to get a visa at your local Immigration office then for entry into Thailand. Now it's Visa at airport on arrival.

Please let me TRY and point some changes out to you. Read and Try to understand.

Blue house book even if you are named on it is no good as proof of Address Now.  Been superceded by Yellow book.

Pink ID for non Thai can use instead of Passport. (Might not be accepted at hotel now as no proof of Visa) But saves carrying your Passport about or a copy come to that. Either one should be carried at all times according to the law. (No one seems to bother with that) as the BIB will normally accept a Thai D/Licence) or not even know.

Yellow book is now your proof of Address. Will be accepted at most places (But not in some districts it seems at least some 98% will accept)

Passport must be shown at Hotel when booking in so they can check validity of visa. Copies may not be accepted. They don't like copies. All the info on those will be sent to local Police/Immigration to register you. Normally the next morning.

If staying at friends house for more than 24 hours they must register you at their Address within 24 hours at local Immigration office or Police. Same as the house owner has to register you at your place of resident's again if you leave the country on your return. Again within 24 hour or asap if the office is closed Weekends or Thai holiday. Failing to do so and the house owner will be fined. Starting at 800bt going up the longer they take to do the above. 

Lot's more of the above stuff, but that covers most of the important bit's. Suggest you read & digest. Or go to Immigration and check yourself.    

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, KittenKong said:

Last I heard Chonburi DLT wont accept that. For them it's a residence certificate only. Immigration provide them.

Probably OK where you live but not accepted in Prakhon Chai DLT. Boss insisted I went to immigration ( which was then at Kap Chueng ) and get two resident permits, one for car license and one for motorbike license. 500 baht each for the free service so we know where the DLT Prakhon Chai gets his kickbacks from.

11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Passport must be shown at Hotel when booking in so they can check validity of visa. Copies may not be accepted. They don't like copies. All the info on those will be sent to local Police/Immigration to register you. Normally the next morning.

I know this is not correct as I travel around Thailand a lot and just show my Thai driver's license when registering at hotels. It has my passport number on it.

6 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

I know this is not correct as I travel around Thailand a lot and just show my Thai driver's license when registering at hotels. It has my passport number on it.

Go try getting a hotel in BKK, Pattaya, & Chang Mai. Have just had to do same and all the places I tried required Passport. Small hotel might bend the rules but most won't. Seems what they now want now is Visa details. D/L doesn't have that.

I have just changed my Passport has a new No: that doesn't correspond with my D/L that has old one.

28 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Rule is passport is required since info has to be send, online to immigration.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Rule is passport is required since info has to be send, online to immigration.

If you think about it Passport will have all your information. You could have an in date 5 year D/L but you Visa/Passport could be out of date. Hence they now require P/Port.

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

Same here. I have hardly ever been asked for my passport when showing my driver's licence here.

Archived