Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? complain students

webfact

8 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

No-one in the UK would ever say gratis apart from in exceptional circumstances.

Looks to me like your translating app is at fault there, because of course gratis means free.

The Chinese knows the importance of a good education and as a result there is an exodus of the new generation to study in foreign universities. Even poor farmers will save hard to give their children a good education They do not want their children to be like them tolling the earth. China has a history of war, turmoil ,etc. Their history has taught them many lessons and they will never go back to the old days.

They are open minded, think out of the box and learn from of other country their best practices. With this valuable information, they improve upon these best practices and this is what China is about. China will keep on growing to be what the Americans can't imagine. 

The New China - Many Chinese are able to speak the major important languages to do business. 

Late Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore, made a very unpopular educational policy (35 years ago) that every student must pass the Mandarin proficiency to gain admission to a university. Today the country had benefited  from it. All Singapore are bilingual in English/ Mandarin or at least another major foreign language like German, Japanese,etc. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

because of course gratis means free

Exact ...in english or in french ( gratuit ) , but give me the thai word for gratis ..and not the english one written in thai

....I'm all ears .

Explain me why HiSo and not only very rich people in Thailand sent their children in USA or Europe Universities ?

In Phangkhon, a little town in Sakon Nakhon province , there is a family , their sell farm products ;

they sent their two girls to europeen Universities .

One came back with  a Master's degree from Aix en Provence University and the second with a similar degree from a London University;

the first one is fluent in french, the second in english ...

I'll tell you a secret ..
about 80% of the population of this small town is of Vietnamese origin; This might explain that .

32 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Exact ...in english or in french ( gratuit ) , but give me the thai word for gratis ..and not the english one written in thai

....I'm all ears .

There is not. Which shows your point, but then I guess you already knew it. IF its only in Thai its like ´no need to pay=may khep tang. So yes, that FREE is much easier and more clear. So this also proves the Thai CAN adapt, just as they did not bother to find out new names for cheese and ham-though they did for common international words like telefone or radio. BTW-several other ASEAN languages also did not have a word for it-in bahasa it remains gratis as stated. Concept likely completely unknown to fetch a word for it.

Or it proves that anything and everything here in Thailand is only real when some monetary value is attached to it. As far as the love of ladies or making marriage in the old Isan tradition of selling your daughters (not always to the highest bidder though). Though gossips tell me that daughters with UNi-degree fetch a higher sinsot for the parents-IF they can find one to cough it up. So back to the topic: make it worth its money to learn passable angrkit to make you understandable. Those in the touristy bisnis etc. grasp that fact pretty quick.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, KiChakayan said:

550 words is <deleted> all. My 3 years old has more than that and she can translate Thai to English for me. It seems that these morons want to remain in their moronic isolation. Obviously no one has asked them what language they speak in Asean,  or the World.

Thats a bit severe. Show me a group of long term farangs here who can speak more than 550 words of Thai (I would guess about 2% of expats can).

5 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Thats a bit severe. Show me a group of long term farangs here who can speak more than 550 words of Thai (I would guess about 2% of expats can).

Except that 99% or even 100% of the farang who live here have no need to enter University in Thailand;

I would like to see :

' How to use an ATM card ' on the national curriculm.

A two year degree course aimed at reducing the queues at ATM machines. On completion students would have to demonstrate they can complete a transaction within 1 minute. The course will also cover how to send 20 baht to a sick relatives bank account without taking half an hour to do it.

The group complaining at Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna accepted that English was important but it should not be a requirement to study Thai courses.

To learn up to 550 words in English, what's that? The vocabulary of a three year old?

Why do some of us even teach "Passa Tang Prataeth"??

Weren't the new rules to start more English lessons for primary and secondary students starting in 2020?

The Rajamangala University of Technology !!! Even the word "Technologie", the German counterpart is being used in Thai language and they might believe it's Thai?

Especially technology has a huge amount of important English vocabulary that must be of importance considering the ASEAN community.

How else could a Thai work in another country and make more money if they can't communicate? 

Passa Aengkrit, mei au! Mee phan haa mak, lui!

Lenn game, kodai!! 

Hey teechaa leave us kids alone!!!!!

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Except that 99% or even 100% of the farang who live here have no need to enter University in Thailand;

Asterix agrees, Troubadix. I don't know how many words I know but i do not have to make a Thai test ( perhaps not yet)/

Perhaps soon a requirement when married to a Thai lady. 

You need to know all the dirty words and there are a lot, right hamm noi? 

I have a friend in CM whose son was educated at the Turkish school there.  He was given a scholarship to a university in Turkey.  When he got there, it was discovered that he couldn't speak English.   He was not allowed to do his course and had to spend the first year learning English.

2 hours ago, Denim said:

I would like to see :

' How to use an ATM card ' on the national curriculm.

A two year degree course aimed at reducing the queues at ATM machines. On completion students would have to demonstrate they can complete a transaction within 1 minute. The course will also cover how to send 20 baht to a sick relatives bank account without taking half an hour to do it.

Please no jokes about Thai people and ATM's. A couple of years back, there's a German well educated factory worker who wanted to take out 200 K. 

I even told him that you can't take out that much a day, but he told me that I was wrong. 

He had two Thais with him, but they came back without money.

They repeated that two more times and more Thai people and they still hadn't had any money when they came back. 

The brainy German didn't want them to use Thai, as he didn't trust them, so English was the problem for all of them.

When i finally came with them it turned out that he wanted to take 20 K, not 200 K. I do not know who's less intelligent. 

1 minute ago, Gillyflower said:

I have a friend in CM whose son was educated at the Turkish school there.  He was given a scholarship to a university in Turkey.  When he got there, it was discovered that he couldn't speak English.   He was not allowed to do his course and had to spend the first year learning English.

There's a Turkish school in CM? How many Turkish people live there? 

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

How else could a Thai work in another country and make more money if they can't communicate? 

Why would a Thai want to work in another country, away from their own culture and food*? Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world.  No need to go abroad for a job.

* If one looks at cases of farang who have taken Thai women back to their home country, it pretty much universally results in the woman being miserable.  Few Thais transplant well.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:29 PM, BritManToo said:
On 12/21/2018 at 10:12 AM, Kieran00001 said:

66.3% got a decent grade in English this year, a clear majority.  Foreign languages are no longer compulsary in the UK and only 43% took one at GCSE last year, but of those who took GCSE French 71% got a decent grade and of those who took German 74% got a decent grade, it would not be fair to assume that those who did not choose to take a foreign language could not have achieved a decent grade in one.

Sounds like BS to me.

I taught French and German in a UK (council estate) high school for a while, and maybe 10-20 in the school year could get a decent GCSE pass. (That's a year of 300-400 students)

Approximately 44,000 GCSE students take French each year, but you write off a statistical national average based on what you alone experienced from teaching in an underprivileged area.

I'm assuming a decent grade is Grade 4 or better. 

Grade 4 is equivalent to a GCSE grade C

Grade 9 is the Top grade. 

69.3% of GSCE French Students achieved a Grade 4 or better in 2019.

4 hours ago, Oxx said:
6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Why would a Thai want to work in another country, away from their own culture and food*? Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world.  No need to go abroad for a job.

Many Thai's enjoy working abroad, as do people of various different nations. 

Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world because they fail at reporting and maintaining their statistics to internationally recognised levels. 

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

* If one looks at cases of farang who have taken Thai women back to their home country, it pretty much universally results in the woman being miserable.  Few Thais transplant well.

*If one looks and the 'standards' of Thai women 'farang' have taken back to their home country the reasons for the 'transplant failure' are evident. 

No only those Thai's of similar-socio-ecomonic status to their Western but also those of a balanced open mindedness to avoid the usually uneducated flookwittery generally fare well overseas. 

11 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

....I'm all ears .

Explain me why HiSo and not only very rich people in Thailand sent their children in USA or Europe Universities ?

In Phangkhon, a little town in Sakon Nakhon province , there is a family , their sell farm products ;

they sent their two girls to europeen Universities .

One came back with  a Master's degree from Aix en Provence University and the second with a similar degree from a London University;

the first one is fluent in french, the second in english ...

I'll tell you a secret ..
about 80% of the population of this small town is of Vietnamese origin; This might explain that .

So, thats why all the dogs go missing?

On 12/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, MRToMRT said:

English isn't my mother tongue, nor is it my Daughters', but it is our cherished "international language", the foundation of 40 years of good life.

And some idiots fail to see the opportunity.

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

English isn't my mother tongue, nor is it my Daughters', but it is our cherished "international language", the foundation of 40 years of good life.

And some idiots fail to see the opportunity.

So you taught your daughter English. And your neighbor did not bother to enforce it with his kids. Should they have the right to a university education denied them for that IN THAILAND? And should not the accusations that it (the extra-curricular English class) was to line peoples pockets not be investigated?

6 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

So you taught your daughter English. And your neighbor did not bother to enforce it with his kids. Should they have the right to a university education denied them for that IN THAILAND? And should not the accusations that it (the extra-curricular English class) was to line peoples pockets not be investigated?

Aren't we all brothers on this dying planet, and hence mustn't we have a common language ?

Think out of the excremently box Mate.

On 12/22/2019 at 7:31 AM, Assurancetourix said:

....I'm all ears .

The only thing I can find is with Google Translate is what you don't want to see - ฟรี

And what's wrong with that?  And why does it bother you?  As I said a few posts upthread, no-one in the UK would ever say gratis in normal conversation, they'd 99.99% say 'free'

23 hours ago, Oxx said:

There is if you want to earn more than 10,000 baht a month.

35 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

There is if you want to earn more than 10,000 baht a month.

You maybe out of date with Thai salaries there. When I stopped work here most of the people working with me were taking jobs elsewhere in Thailand for salaries better than mine in some cases.

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

Aren't we all brothers on this dying planet, and hence mustn't we have a common language ?

Think out of the excremently box Mate.

Why must we have a common language? I don't get it. Seriously.

As for your second line I will just ignore it as just crass and rude.

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

You maybe out of date with Thai salaries there. When I stopped work here most of the people working with me were taking jobs elsewhere in Thailand for salaries better than mine in some cases.

I'm not talking of people with university degrees, who of course earn more than that. 

I'm talking of the 7/11 staff, waitresses in Swensens and hole in the wall restaurants, road repairers and sweepers.  You know, the type of people who make up 80% of the sort of jobs you meant in your post.  Of course there's high employment, because places like Central employ 3 people to take money from someone, cash it up and put it in a bag.  Yeah, it's a job, but the pay is cr@p.

But you might want to try Googling a bit instead of jumping in clodfooted.  Try reading 

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

which says -

'Wages in Thailand decreased to 14334.21 THB/Month in the third quarter of 2019 from 14353.55 THB/Month in the second quarter of 2019. Wages in Thailand averaged 9740.45 THB/Month from 1999 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 14353.55 THB/Month in the second quarter of 2019 and a record low of 6344 THB/Month in the first quarter of 2000. source: National Statistical Office of Thailand

Hardly a massive average salary, is it?

Archived