Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? complain students

webfact

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The legal minimum wage for a graduate is 50% more than the spurious figure you state.

I refer you to my previous post number 316 - the average wage is under 15,000.

When I said 10,000 it was for the average office or shop worker which make up the vast majority of the working population.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:
2 hours ago, Oxx said:

The legal minimum wage for a graduate is 50% more than the spurious figure you state.

I refer you to my previous post number 316 - the average wage is under 15,000.

And the topic here is about studying English at university, so the relevant figures is how much graduates earn.  And they get the legal minimum wage whether or not they speak an irrelevant foreign language or not.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:38 PM, Oxx said:

Why would a Thai want to work in another country, away from their own culture and food*? Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world.  No need to go abroad for a job.

* If one looks at cases of farang who have taken Thai women back to their home country, it pretty much universally results in the woman being miserable.  Few Thais transplant well.

Does your post explain why so many Thai go to Sweden to pick berries?

Or to other countries where they make good money working in a Thai restaurant for example?

My point was working in an ASEAN community country with better salaries, it's just not true that the unemployment rate is so low.

That's what the goverment wants to tell you. Do you really believe when a family of five has a noodle soup stand that they are all employed and make enough money for a living?

Not all you read is true. 

14 hours ago, Oxx said:

And they get the legal minimum wage whether or not they speak an irrelevant foreign language or not.

But again it's whooshed over your head.  English is not an irrelevant language to almost all fields these students study.  It's used in many fields as has already been mentioned and which I am not going to type out all over again.  

On 12/21/2018 at 4:49 PM, Kieran00001 said:

No it doesn't work like that, we don't blame the students, if they have been teaching them English for many years and they haven't leaned then there is something wrong with the teaching not the students.

Both I'd say, but mostly the system which tells them not to ask questions or criticise & doesn't grade them on ability, designed to keep them stupid...

On 12/21/2019 at 8:12 PM, ilms said:

I wonder if they are just given a list of 550 words and asked to memorize them. Sure, learning vocabulary is important but if it's not presented in the context of actual communication, it's not of much use. From what I've seen here (I've taught in several Thai govt. schools), most of the education related to foreign languages is rote learning with little focus placed on helping the students actually use the language to communicate. So, after 13 years of this, the kids are bored out of their minds and don't see any point in it. And, very few will be able to communicate in the language beyond an extremely basic level.

As designed from on high who don't want the plebs to learn english...

Many of my Thai ex-students asked the same question.  When confronted with problems that required forward and critical thinking in English or Thai they began to realise that what they knew was insufficient for their future in many fields and started to become annoyed because they, their parents, and their schooling had severely let them down.  Very few made it beyond first year Psychology because they did not meet the requirements and could not meet the requirements to pass either the verbal or written requirements.  OH, WELL...

'nuf sed.

Archived