concrete garden pond

cheeryble

Well.....

Lets say we go to or near 6 inches thick worst case..

Then the slab will be 14sqm

Then we have about 7sqm of raised sides 

Total 21sqm. x about 0.15m = 3.15cu.m. = ballpark 3 cu.m.

3 cu.m. could be delivered by truck am I right thinking it might cost 5000?

OR would a local crew do this with a mixer, and is it worth the saving?

Perhaps the pour would take time to allow for hardening off before doing the sides as Sirineou suggested so premix not a good idea?

As to rebar is there a rough formula for the cost of rebar for such a structure as a proportion of the concrete, or does one need to work it out.

Thirdly I guess one could guesstimate the number of man days needed and get the labour cost like that? How many man days would depend on concrete ready mixed or not, but what do folk think?

2 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Holy Mother of God nearly two foot thick!

Use sharp sand. Must look that up so i understand about sands.

I forgot, the base is 300mm hardcore, compacted in 100mm layers, 16mm rebar on 100mm squares and 300mm concrete. So the base is 2ft thick. Used a 100mm rubber waterstop between the base and wall centre (rubberstop thought I'd struggle to find - had it in Global House)

For a pond filter I built a DIY one from a large 20gal decorative terra cotta jar... I drilled a large and small hole in the bottom for pvc and set it on some bricks to allow the pvc to exit via a L... these were secured to the jar with copious amounts of silicone... the small pvc comnnects to a small submerged pump the larger one is the discharge (make it much larger than the intake - I use 2”)... the jar was then filled with layer of sacks of lava rocks and green aquarium filter pads... the intake pvc rises just to the top opening of the jar where I have a decorative plan pot that has a hole in the bottom to form a little water pool creating a small fountain pool just inside the pot... this sets next to the pond and I sprayed the pvc pipes brown 

5 hours ago, cheeryble said:

To be clear you're suggesting 4 inch thick slab and sides?

4" is for the slab the sides 6" should be adequate.

5 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Concrete formwork is one of the areas I'm totally short of experience in, so I don't have a "feel" for your stages like let the muck harden a bit then pour the sides.

However I am starting to think one doesn't want to make formwork custom made for the one job and thinking if the rental formwork "mai bab"could do the job.

I am sure you will not be doing the work  yourself , Your builder should know how to do a hang side, and brace it. show them the sketch they will get it immediately.

As far as waiting for the slab to harden, you don't have to wait long. Depending on the  mix (dry ,or very wet) and the weather (sunny hot) 45 min  should be enough, maybe less. Tell the concrete company you want a slump test and not to give you a very wet mix,  Not sure if they have concrete accelerator in Thailand (i have never used there), Silka makes one Hydraset is an other, it speeds up concrete set by thee X. In my industry we pour a floor and we are walking on it and erecting the next floor a hour later.    I know people freak out when I say that, (Oh my god it will collapse and you will all get killed ) LOL if the formwatk can support the tones of concrete, it can surely support a few people and some more forms!

image.jpeg.76ce8567e8642dd9cd5209306fe6e5e4.jpeg

Combine the pond with an other project, such as walkways , pour the slab, then go do a walkway , by the time you come back it will be stiff enough not to back out under the hang side.  In fact you don't want to wait long because you don't want a cold seam, you want the walls and slab to bind. 

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Wow you have very fancy window bars!

Your pond area looks like a nice cosy spot to tuck away in.

Your cost of 20k is a useful starting point 

W/Bars used to be R/Iron when we moved in, like the fence & gate. But when I tried to paint the things found they were at best buggered and needed replacing. So I had the lot done in S/S. Later I had the S/S W/bars to match. That was some time ago when the UK pound = 74bt. If I would have them done now is another question.

I have my first cupper sitting on the patio every morning. Very pleasant as the wife does the garden. (She tells me it's woman's work) and who am I to argue.

Well.....

Lets say we go to or near 6 inches thick worst case..

Then the slab will be 14sqm

Then we have about 7sqm of raised sides 

Total 21sqm. x about 0.15m = 3.15cu.m. = ballpark 3 cu.m.

3 cu.m. could be delivered by truck am I right thinking it might cost 5000?

OR would a local crew do this with a mixer, and is it worth the saving?

Perhaps the pour would take time to allow for hardening off before doing the sides as Sirineou suggested so premix not a good idea?

As to rebar is there a rough formula for the cost of rebar for such a structure as a proportion of the concrete, or does one need to work it out.

Thirdly I guess one could guesstimate the number of man days needed and get the labour cost like that? How many man days would depend on concrete ready mixed or not, but what do folk think?

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 2:59 PM, fredob43 said:

Sorry for delay snaps. First is of new window bars second of S/S roof. I have at present only gold fish in pond less aggro to look after. Koi need running water or at least fast. They also live in water that's only a few inches deep. We have a shop near us that has several very large Koi and they are in a pond that's around 9 inches deep. they seem to live fine. I did omit to say I have oxygenators in pond one pump around 300bt with 2 outlets split into 4. The bubbles might show up in my first picture? on the other page. Flowers are the wife idea have somewhere to hang things and they do. Thank Buddha she doesn't get any ideas about hanging me.

I have put a bit of petrified wood over the waterfall to finish it off visually. Looks nice but a bugger to fit as it weighs a ton. 

IMGP0017.JPG

IMGP0018.JPG

I can't see any fish fred.555

1 hour ago, kelboy said:

I can't see any fish fred.555

You have to look through the flowers. I can assure you that there are 12 of the Buggers and they eat me out of house and home.

Happy new year Kel. Regards to all the lads. Not long now and it's fishing time. Don't panic I'll show you how to do it. All you have to do is pay attention.  

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You have to look through the flowers. I can assure you that there are 12 of the Buggers and they eat me out of house and home.

Tell me about it, we have about 20 koi of assorted sizes and a huge pleco that I've not seen for ages.

The biggest single user of power in our place is SWIMBOs koi pond (circulation pumps, air pump, UV bug zapper), they also swallow >1kg of (special koi) food every week ????

But we do get pleasure sitting in the sala next to the pond, watching the fish and listening to the bubbling water (when we can hear over the buzzy motorcycles and exhaust-free rice trucks) ???? 

Should have put the pond at the other end, but there it's river traffic and jet skis ????

Now the main house section is done apart from wardrobe shelves and little bits and furnishing and I’ve taken my first pee in the bathroom.

The gorgeous second hand sofa got allowed in and now I’ve wandered down from grandma's house and lounged on it to do my emails I can really see what a great look out the pond will be from the big glass sliders on the sitting room and main bedroom.

Soon as the holiday recedes I'll see what the local guys will charge and check the piggy bank.

IMG_6470.JPG.66ad05062d803c4e1dddfcd811378d57.JPG

IMG_6471.JPG.6fc0085cb58970a7175bb839bfd2a925.JPG&key=215c6be87c6d69abd41d0c47297d7cce954daed52fe774f2afd94143a96c28af

The sofa!

IMG_6441.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived