What's next, possibly?

swissie

Well you dont have to be Einstein to see the visa tightening has been going on sense 2009....And the visa tightening shows zero signs of stopping....

The real question is what is the ultimate goal?....Is it to kick all farang out of Thailand unless they can cough up 500K for a elite visa? or what ?

On 12/22/2018 at 4:40 AM, swissie said:

Persons, not willing and capable of reading beyond 15 words are not invited to comment in this particular thread.
Over consumption of Alcoholic-Beverages late in the day will not improve the ability to comprehend anything.
- 2 Tablets of Alca-Seltzer before going to sleep and 2 tablets of Alca-Seltzer during Breakfast usually restores the capability of digesting sentences that consist of more than 15 words.
Try it.

But your post was 15 words.

The rest was glorifying this man.

Who has time to read 15 words these days ?
Oops, I've said too much already ! (That was 15 words.)

Considering that they currently expect foreigners to have a higher monthly income (65,000/month for single people) than many senior government and military officials get after retirement, I'd say they went overboard when they raised that limit back in '98. 

They probably got their information (back then) from "tourist" statistics, when the main demographic was somewhat "whiter" and more affluent than it is now (from the sounds of it). 20 years ago it was unusual (very) to see even a couple of Indians or Arabs or Chinese/Korean/Japanese in places like Walking Street. It was rare enough that if an "Asian" tour group went by, people would literally stop and stare !

Money was flowing faster than the buses bringing new "talent" from Isaan to the big cities and places like Pattaya were booming ! Much of the large developments came about as a result of that boom and I suspect some are still being built as people hope that will happen again.

"Tourists" were referred to as "2 week millionaires" because they usually came for 2 weeks (or less) and spent money like they were millionaires. I've spoken to a lot of Thais (including business owners) and they seemed to think that all "farang" were rich like that, all the time. They couldn't understand than many (if not most) of those tourists may have saved up for years for that one trip and may not ever come back again (or it may take more years for them to save up enough to do it again).

About 12 years ago, I remember that TAT put out stats back then that showed the average length of stay and the average spent. Not sure quite how they calculated that but they came up with a figure around $100 US per day on average and apparently the average "stay" was 10 days. 

I'm guessing the numbers (and exchange rates) were a bit different 20 years ago and that they used the average daily spending by tourists as the basis for the financial requirements for "long stay" Visas/Extensions. That could be how they came up with the idea that the average expat needed a little over 2,000 baht per day to live in Thailand as that was probably around what the average tourist was spending per day, 20 years ago. (For accommodation, food, entertainment, drinking and "other" expenses.)
They probably then decided that a married man would spend half that, as he wouldn't be out in the bars as much and therefore his "other" expenses would be considerably less. (I'm guessing they didn't take their own experiences with their own mia nois and kiks into consideration !)

I was kind of surprised that the age limit for the "retirement" visa was only 50. I'm guessing that was to try and attract a lot of the "newly rich" people that were able to retire at a much earlier age than was traditional. In my early working days I seem to recall ads for "Freedom 55" retirement plans (which of course I totally ignored) and that was long before the "dot com" craze and the hordes of people who've been able to "retire" earlier than ever before. (Though I suspect many of them have done so without taking into consideration that things in the future would cost a lot more than they did when those people chose to retire.)

The current financial requirements still seem to be out of whack though, regardless of what the average tourist is spending these days. It's obvious from the posts on TV that a lot of people are getting by quite nicely on far less than what the government expects. A lot of that depends on a person's individual standards of living of course. 

Some people seem to struggle on 65,000/month while others have a hard time spending 45,000 a month. Some prefer fancy "serviced" apartments and eating all their meals in restaurants every day while others are content in small houses or condos where they do their own cooking and cleaning.

Some people can live a quiet life in the countryside and be content on less money per month than someone in the city would spend in a week (or a weekend).

If anything, the financial requirements should be reduced to a more realistic level and then, if some spend more than that, who cares ? But at the same time, they could reduce the financial requirements and then add the health care insurance requirement.

That would (should) still be less per year than current requirements making Thailand more affordable for many people, and would also see most of them having some level of health insurance (which I suspect most of them don't currently have).

Though from the sounds of things, pretty soon it will be getting pretty lonely here as everyone will have moved to Vietnam (or the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Panama, etc, etc) ! 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

But your post was 15 words.

The rest was glorifying this man.

No, it's just that I value this Thai Guy's opinion more than a Farangs opinion, sitting next to me at the bar.

• Haha 1