UK Health Surcharge increase

9 hours ago, poohy said:

Why is there not a similar arrangement for non resident ex pats wanting to use NHS services

The IHS is not payable by those visiting the UK for 6 months or less; they have to pay for any NHS care they receive by one of a variety of means regardless of their nationality.

British expats who are returning to the UK to resume residence are not visitors, so they are immediately entitled to the full range of NHS treatment.

Of course, if you are British and considering returning to the UK to live and want to donate £1200 now and then the same again in 30 months time to the NHS, I'm sure they wont refuse it!

Why is there not a similar arrangement for non resident ex pats wanting to use NHS services
Whilst I don’t like the fact that my current taxes are contributing to the NHS, albeit in a small way, the NHS is funded from general Taxation not NI Contributions, those are the current rules so I purchase travel insurance when visiting the UK, it’s pretty cheap, certainly not £600, and it gives peace of mind.
As 7by7 rightly says if I were to relocate to the UK, I would be eligible for NHS cover from day one.
I’m not actually against the Surcharge but I do think it’s unreasonable for a person settling in the UK to be expected to pay the surcharge if they’re employed and thus making a contribution via their taxes, I do concede that it would be a nightmare to manage any other way.

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

British expats who are returning to the UK to resume residence are not visitors, so they are immediately entitled to the full range of NHS treatment.

That i fully understand but i was commenting it would be nice if we could pay and play so to speak.

Re relocating i am looking at 6 months on /of been away from UK 23 years so no bank accounts and only family or friends address

I dont need to claim anything or look for work as money is offshore but can i just stay with family say 6 months(eg 6 month holiday)  and get back in the system

Even how would they know i was there? Yes i can enroll at Docs easily enough

i have asked but no one seems to know

I can't seem to find anything on the NHS website, but basically you may need to provide evidence of your British nationality, e.g. passport,  and your UK residency such as some form of official letter, e.g. bank statement, addressed to you at your UK address. You do not need to own or rent that address yourself, living with family or friends is fine. I'm sure you'll be able to arrange for such a letter before you return.

Registering with a GP is obviously recommended, but not compulsory.

You may find this factsheet from Age Concern useful; it is aimed at those over 65 but the basic rules are the same regardless of age.

Note 

The information in this factsheet is applicable to England and Wales. Please contact Age Scotland or Age NI for information applicable to those nations. Contact details can be found at the back

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Heck of an increase.  My wife has been in UK for 2.5 years, working and paying tax and NI the whole time yet 'no access to public funds' and has to pay the IHS.  

That's exactly why the system is so wrong, I suppose they would argue that it would be too difficult to have a system to identify taxpayers, like your wife, who are charged twice, and of course Ministers will take comfort that the the average Daily Mail reader would think that the current system is fair. 

Archived