Changing hospitals under social security insurance

rooster59

Changing hospitals under social security insurance

Thammarat Thadaphrom

BANGKOK, 23rd December 2018 (NNT) – People who are insured under the social security program can request a change of hospital from now until March 31st next year, according to the Society Security Office. 

Secretary General of the Social Security Office Ananchai Uthaipattanachep, has advised that in 2019, 237 hospitals, 159 public and 78 private, will be accepting patients insured under the social security program. Those who wish to change their primary hospitals can now do so at Social Security offices nationwide or by visiting www.sso.go.th, or using the SSO Connect application, from now until March 31st, 2019. 

Ananchai added that a primary hospital should be a place that is easy and convenient to travel to or a hospital that can address a patient’s needs. It must also be one of the hospitals within the province they are working in. 

To request service, one can present an ID card. Migrant workers meanwhile, have to bring their social security card and passport with them. 

Patient eligibility can be checked by visiting www.sso.go.th, calling Hotline 1506, or by visiting Social Security offices or the Ministry of the Interior’s smart kiosks. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-12-23

Is this the 30 Baht scheme ?

If yes, then can my wife - registered in a tabien baan in Nakhon Ratchasima province - "change" to some hospital in the Pattaya area ? We will be living there by the end of January 2019.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Is this the 30 Baht scheme ?

If yes, then can my wife - registered in a tabien baan in Nakhon Ratchasima province - "change" to some hospital in the Pattaya area ? We will be living there by the end of January 2019.

No. The "30 baht" scheme is different.

Thailand's universal coverage has 3 components:

1 - Civil Service Social Security - for civil servants and their dependents.

2 - Social Security - for people employed in the formal sector.

3 - "30 baht" AKA "universal" or "gold card" scheme - for everyone else

Under the "30 baht" system one is covered only at the hospital which covers the area where you are listed in a tabian ban.

If your move to Pattaya is expected to be long term, you should make sure your wife gets entered into a tabian ban there. If you will be renting make that a condition of the rental as it requires the landlord's cooperation.

"To request service, one can present an ID card. Migrant workers meanwhile, have to bring their social security card and passport with them. "

Presumably this would also apply to expats? However several have recently reported not receiving the card....

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No. The "30 baht" scheme is different

If your move to Pattaya is expected to be long term, you should make sure your wife gets entered into a tabian ban there. If you will be renting make that a condition of the rental as it requires the landlord's cooperation.

Thanks, Sheryl. Yes, supposed to be long term, but I doubt that it will be easy to be accepted as a tabien baan "member". But what happens if we need to move to another condo for whatever reason afterwards ? Thailand does not provide tenant protection as in Switzerland as far as I know, rental fees might rise just as they want.

Thanks, Sheryl. Yes, supposed to be long term, but I doubt that it will be easy to be accepted as a tabien baan "member". But what happens if we need to move to another condo for whatever reason afterwards ? Thailand does not provide tenant protection as in Switzerland as far as I know, rental fees might rise just as they want.
Most people don't bother to change tabian ban listing if they move within the same city//area. There is really no need to.

It is not that hard to get added to a tabian ban but does require that the landlord (or whoever is listed in the tabian ban as housemaster) to come with her to the ampur office. The time to do that is when signing the lease so you still have some leverage.

If not done she will either have to pay out of pocket for health care or travel all the way back to Korat for it.

Aside from her health care, having her listed in tabian ban will help you if you need to file a TM30 (you must file one when you first move in and then may need to again each time you leave the country and return). The TM 30 has to be filed by the "house master" so if your wife isn't listed you'll need to get the landlord to do it or give you legal authorization to do so one his behalf.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Aside from her health care, having her listed in tabian ban will help you if you need to file a TM30 (you must file one when you first move in and then may need to again each time you leave the country and return).

I thought that my Thai wife does not need to file a TM30. For me this is done by the landlord. I will ask the assistant of my landlord. My landlord is a large scale investor in the Pattaya area. I have never met him in person, all is done via his very helpful assistant.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

I thought that my Thai wife does not need to file a TM30. For me this is done by the landlord. I will ask the assistant of my landlord. My landlord is a large scale investor in the Pattaya area. I have never met him in person, all is done via his very helpful assistant.

Landlord can do iut, yes. But of it is rented to your wife and she is in the tabian ban then as :housemaster" she could do so. up to you which is easier.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

But of it is rented to your wife and she is in the tabian ban then as :housemaster" she could do so. up to you which is easier.

The condo is rented to myself, not to my wife. But I am not aware I am a "housemaster" (whatever that is). Under these circumstances my wife does not need to file a TM30. But I do as a foreigner after I settle there. The assistant of my Landlord will take care of it. We will ask then how about listing my wife in the Tabien Baan of the Landlord, but I am quite sure this cannot be done. A Tabien Baan is more than a "Family book" I think ("think" that is, I do not know exactly).

Anyway, a Happy Christmas to you, Sheryl and a Happy New Year.

18 minutes ago, moogradod said:

The condo is rented to myself, not to my wife. But I am not aware I am a "housemaster" (whatever that is). Under these circumstances my wife does not need to file a TM30. But I do as a foreigner after I settle there. The assistant of my Landlord will take care of it. We will ask then how about listing my wife in the Tabien Baan of the Landlord, but I am quite sure this cannot be done. A Tabien Baan is more than a "Family book" I think ("think" that is, I do not know exactly).

Anyway, a Happy Christmas to you, Sheryl and a Happy New Year.

It most definitely CAN be done. If your landlord is willing.

A tabian ban is simply a listing of persons (related or not) who live at a given address. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a "family book". "Household registration" is the best translation.

In fact not only can it be done, by law it should be done as a tabian ban is supposed to accurately reflect who resides at a given property. There is a separate field for owner and then space to list all residents. Nothing to do with familial relationship.

It serves as proof of residence and thus is necessary to receive government services that are based on residency in a specific locale.

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It most definitely CAN be done. If your landlord is willing.

In fact not only can it be done, by law it should be done  Nothing to do with familial relationship.

It serves as proof of residence and thus is necessary to receive government services that are based on residency in a specific locale.

Thanks Sheryl !

I did not know that. So when it is required by law then how does the "If your landlord is willing" fit in ? I will definitely ask the assistant of the landlord. I should be in the tabien baan then as well.

42 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks Sheryl !

I did not know that. So when it is required by law then how does the "If your landlord is willing" fit in ? I will definitely ask the assistant of the landlord. I should be in the tabien baan then as well.

The "problem" for many people is that this law is just not enforced, so if the landlord just refuses to put her name in the blue book there is not much you can do. You could try to talk the people at the amphoe into following the law and fining the landlord, but if they will do it and if this would change the landlords refusal is written in the stars.

Foreigners on temporary stay are registered in the yellow house book (blue book is for Thai citizens and permanent residents), not sure if the law requiring people to be registered also applies to the yellow house book

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There is a separate field for owner

The house book does not name the owner, the owner is named in the chanote of the house, but the house book names the "house master" (which is often the owner, but might be different)

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You could try to talk the people at the amphoe into following the law and fining the landlord, but if they will do it and if this would change the landlords refusal is written in the stars.

I suppose the only thing that would change is the rental fee - probably 20% upwards.

Archived