Visa Run to Poipet or Ban Laem?

I need to stay in Thailand another 2-3 weeks due to wife's Mom being seriously ill about two weeks ago.  My 30 day visa on arrival is set to expire on Wednesday, 26 December 2018.  I'm looking to go to a nearby border crossing most likely Cambodia. Leave from Bangkok early and go out and back in on the same day and return to Bangkok all in one day.  I last exited Thailand in February 2017 so it's not like I'm trying to live here.  On this trip I entered Thailand on 27 November 2018.  Any issues in going out and coming back in?  I've heard some posts about Poipet being "difficult" but I thought that was mainly with people using multi-entry visas.

Where's the best place or company to use to get transportation to the border?

you have a 30 day entry for a visa exempt entry, not a visa on arrival, you can do a 30 day extension at local immigration office 1,900 baht. if your married to a Thai then you can get a 60 day extension.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

Just get a 30 day extension at Chaeng Wattana for 1900THB (if your wife is Thai and you take her with you you can get 60 days for the same price), no need to leave the country.

Poipet should be avoided, all other land border crossings seems to be ok.

• Like 1

As suggested above, the extension of stay from immigration is probably the better approach. If you want to do a border bounce, Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi province (border with Myanmar) is probably your best option. Definitely, avoid Poipet.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jackdd said:
52 minutes ago, macgver said:

You can't do the visa run within the same day. You need to stay at the Cambodia for a night, then return back to Thailand the next day. 

Is this enforced at any crossing other than Poipet?

It is supposed to be only a Cambodian immigration rule (nothing to do with Thai immigration). In practice, a small bribe (which I always found a way to avoid) is sufficient for the Cambodian side to waive the overnight requirement.

For those in Bangkok, there is no real reason to use Cambodia for the border bounce anyway. Ban Phu Nam Ron is cheaper, and uses less space in your passport. Myanmar has no overnight rule.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

In practice, a small bribe (which I always found a way to avoid) is sufficient for the Cambodian side to waive the overnight requirement.

Note: Usually reported as 300 Baht. 

Even if not doing a same-day return, having to pay some extra for a Cambodian VOA is not uncommon.  I have managed to limit this to a 100 Baht note, with minimum-bargaining.