Top Trump aide says government shutdown may go into New Year

webfact

Top Trump aide says government shutdown may go into New Year

By Jan Wolfe

2018-12-23T160731Z_1_LYNXNPEEBM0DF_RTROPTP_4_USA-CONGRESS-BUDGET.JPG

A sign declares the National Archive is closed due to a partial federal government shutdown in Washington, U.S., December 22, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's budget director and chief of staff on Sunday said the partial U.S. government shutdown could continue to Jan. 3, when the new Congress convenes and Democrats take over the House of Representatives.

"It's very possible this shutdown will go beyond (December) the 28th and into the new Congress," Mick Mulvaney said on Fox News Sunday.

"I don't think things are going to move very quickly here for the next few days" because of the Christmas holiday, added Mulvaney, who serves as director of the Office of Management and Budget and was named acting White House chief of staff 10 days ago.

The U.S. Senate adjourned on Saturday, unable to break an impasse over Trump's demand for more funds for a wall on the border with Mexico that Democrats are unwilling to accept.

Mulvaney said the White House made a "counter-offer" to Democrats on funding for border security that fell between the Democratic offer of $1.3 billion and Trump's demand for $5 billion.

As part of those talks on Saturday, Vice President Mike Pence offered to drop the demand for $5 billion for a border wall, substituting instead $2.1 billion, ABC News reported, citing unnamed sources.

A Democratic source familiar with the negotiations said real discussions have been happening between Democratic lawmakers and Republican Senator Richard Shelby, the chairman of the Appropriations Committee, who has been talking to the White House. It was unclear what Democrats had offered.

Mulvaney sought to shift blame for the partial shutdown to Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic nominee for speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, saying she might hold up negotiations to ensure she secures the position.

"I think she's in that unfortunate position of being beholden to her left wing to where she cannot be seen as agreeing with the president on anything until after she is speaker," Mulvaney said. "If that's the case, again, there's a chance we go into the next Congress."  

Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill disputed that account, saying in a statement: "As Mr. Mulvaney well knows, House Democrats are united in their opposition to the President's immoral, expensive and ineffective wall."

The White House should "stop the posturing and start serious bipartisan talks," Hammill said.

Financing for about a quarter of federal government programs - including the departments of Homeland Security, Justice and Agriculture - expired at midnight on Friday. More than 400,000 "essential" employees in those agencies will work without pay until the dispute is resolved. Another 380,000 will be "furloughed," meaning they are put on temporary leave.

Law enforcement efforts, border patrols, mail delivery and airport operations will keep running.

Building a wall to try to prevent migrants from entering the United States illegally was a central plank of Trump's presidential campaign, but Democrats are vehemently opposed and have rejected his funding request.

Trump reiterated his push for border security on Sunday, saying on Twitter that "the only way" to stop drugs, gangs, and human trafficking at the border was with a wall or barrier.

"Drones and all of the rest are wonderful and lots of fun, but it is only a good old fashioned Wall that works!," the president said in the tweet.

Earlier in the week, leaders in both the Senate and House thought they had reached a deal that Trump would sign that contained less money for border security, only to watch the president, under pressure from conservatives, re-assert his demand for $5 billion at the last minute.

Senator David Perdue, a Republican from Georgia on the Senate Banking Committee, said on Fox News' "Sunday Morning Futures" that he thought a deal this week was possible.

"I spoke to the president last night, he wants that," Purdue said, adding: "I'm hopeful that cooler heads will prevail and we'll get to some number between $1.6 (billion) and $5 billion (£3.95 billion) on that."

(Reporting by Jan Wolfe and Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Mary Milliken, Daniel Wallis and Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-24

I can't see Trump making a deal without some wall funding. If he caves now he is done and he knows this.  On the other side if the dems fund it they can no longer use the "a wall is immoral" argument. Any amount of money would be okay because it means that the idea is approved of in principle. Funding can come later from where ever. i imagine he would be looking very closely into using the army corp of engineers and seeing if he can move some of the $750 billion military budget.

There are a ton of funds that won't be sunk into Syria now.

I can say I was out Christmas shopping today and for normal people it is business as usual. The average person isn't worried at all. Then again I live in  a fly over state it is possible people are panicking in their gated estates in Beverly Hills.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

I can't see Trump making a deal without some wall funding. If he caves now he is done and he knows this.  On the other side if the dems fund it they can no longer use the "a wall is immoral" argument. Any amount of money would be okay because it means that the idea is approved of in principle. Funding can come later from where ever. i imagine he would be looking very closely into using the army corp of engineers and seeing if he can move some of the $750 billion military budget.

There are a ton of funds that won't be sunk into Syria now.

I can say I was out Christmas shopping today and for normal people it is business as usual. The average person isn't worried at all. Then again I live in  a fly over state it is possible people are panicking in their gated estates in Beverly Hills.

He’s done anyway.

January 3, the Dems take the House and leadership of all House committees and inquiries.

The GOP cover-up ends.

tick...tock..

6 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Absolutely the Donald will get his wall funding. This Schumer Shutdown is simply grandstanding for the far left open borders crowd. 

Trump won't budge. There is already talks of more than $2.5 billion He had the house votes when Pelosi said he didn't. Nobody like me living in the USA now actually cares about a shut down over Christmas.

Schumer and his gang were planning to go home early anyway. It must be very inconvenient. Schumer keeps saying there will be no compromise and the shut down doesn't impact people with normal jobs. 

Trump should stay the course even it goes on for 6 months. Watch when the dems take the house and become impotent as the government is shut down. They will not be able to start committees and investigations under a shut down.

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Who is we? Again if you aren't residing in the USA you aren't irrelevant but you might not be up to snuff.

If being "up to snuff" is a requirement for posting then most man-child supporters should step away from the keyboard immediately, but it isn't.

Unfortunately, neither is it a requirement for becoming president.

12 minutes ago, Becker said:

If being "up to snuff" is a requirement for posting then most man-child supporters should step away from the keyboard immediately, but it isn't.

Unfortunately, neither is it a requirement for becoming president.

I guess yo are another poster that doesn't reside in the USA and as such are out of touch, There is no criteria that prevents you from posting. However if you are in Issan and disconnected there is only so much weight your post can carry.

Trump will most likely shut the government down until social security will become effected. Hopefully it won't go that far but Schumer is a douchebag, 

There aren't a huge amount of rednecks living in flyover states that aren't  too concerned about what will happen to the ex pat living on 45,000 Baht a month.

Merry Christmas.

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I guess yo are another poster that doesn't reside in the USA and as such are out of touch, There is no criteria that prevents you from posting. However if you are in Issan and disconnected there is only so much weight your post can carry.

Trump will most likely shut the government down until social security will become effected. Hopefully it won't go that far but Schumer is a douchebag, 

There aren't a huge amount of rednecks living in flyover states that are too concerned about what will happen to the ex pat living on 45,000 Baht a month.

Merry Christmas.

"I guess yo are another poster that doesn't reside in the USA and as such are out of touch, There is no criteria that prevents you from posting. However if you are in Issan and disconnected there is only so much weight your post can carry."

Residing in Thailand doesn't equal being out of touch just as residing in a redneck backwater area doesn't. Only a truly ignorant person would claim such a thing. 

"There aren't a huge amount of rednecks living in flyover states that are too concerned about what will happen to the ex pat living on 45,000 Baht a month."

That's fine, few of us expats are at all concerned about what will happen to the rednecks when the market crashes and their hero goes down in flames.

Schadenfreude? Yes. Concern? No.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He’s done anyway.

January 3, the Dems take the House and leadership of all House committees and inquiries.

The GOP cover-up ends.

tick...tock..

if the government shuts down the dems can't push the agenda. If you look at Schumer and Pelosi speak now there is nobody there. it is all empty seats. they need the government to be open. 

Trump won't budge. There is already talks of more than $2.5 billion He had the house votes when Pelosi said he didn't. Nobody like me living in the USA now actually cares about a shut down over Christmas.

Schumer and his gang were planning to go home early anyway. It must be very inconvenient. Schumer keeps saying there will be no compromise and the shut down doesn't impact people with normal jobs. 

Trump should stay the course even it goes on for 6 months. Watch when the dems take the house and become impotent as the government is shut down. They will not be able to start committees and investigations under a shut down.

If he had the votes why did he not put it to the House?

Because Pelosi was right, he didn’t have the votes.

51 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

There aren't a huge amount of rednecks living in flyover states that aren't  too concerned about what will happen to the ex pat living on 45,000 Baht a month.

Merry Christmas.

You make the assumption that people living in the US are ‘informed’.

Ask the farmers living in the ‘flyover’ states how ‘informed’ they are about where Trump is taking there livelihoods.

Your comment regarding the income of expat Americans living in Issan manages to be both spiteful, condescending.

But you are right about one thing, this forum welcomes comments from any member who cares to comment within the rules.

Members can make their own mind up who is talking sense.

6 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I worked for the Federal Government. Some actually are needed and do not get the free days off. It is important to those that have to work for their money and those that aren't really needed but will get paid for the days off. 

it's pretty ironic that on christmas illegals can still cross the border but a citizen can't legally access a park. what would we do with out park rangers? illegal aliens can pour into my country but I will be arrested or fined if i go into the grand canyon.

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Lol... straight out of the winners playbook... but I love it... a 6 month trump shutdown (he already owned it on international tv ????????????) will cement his position as the worst president in history

MAGA ????????????

29 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

it's pretty ironic that on christmas illegals can still cross the border but a citizen can't legally access a park. what would we do with out park rangers? illegal aliens can pour into my country but I will be arrested or fined if i go into the grand canyon.

Lmao.... thanks Donald!

29 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Grand Canyon National Park remains open.   It does not close due to the gov't shutdown.  

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Who is we? Again if you aren't residing in the USA you aren't irrelevant but you might not be up to snuff.

Lost soul ???? most of the western world is more intelligent that the president you are defending 

It was passed in the house but not the senate.

So... just to be clear... the funding which passed the congress, included the five billion... right?

if not, then what the Congress passsed, was not what trump wanted... what trump said he would get... what pelosi said he would not get.

Ergo.... if not... pelosi was right.

One thing that seems should be very clear is who caused this.  ot only did Trump say he would take responsibility for it, but he called for it. 

Look, if i go to a new years party and yell out to everyone, "unless everyone gives me 20 bucks i am going to pee in the pool". 

On what earth is that now the guests' fault?! If you make some stupid, ridiculous ultimatum in an attempt to gain negotiation leverage, the fallout is your fault! My god take reaponsibility. 

8 hours ago, farcanell said:

Apparently you are wrong.... 

are you sure you live in the USA?

The state of Arizona keeps the Grand Canyon open during past gov't shutdowns and has said it will do so now.   There are a huge number of international tourists who come specifically to see the Canyon and it is located within easy traveling distance of Las Vegas.  

Archived