Allowed to travel to Thailand with expensive watch ?

JohnnyBKK

Hello,

I'm renting my apartment in my home country (airbnb) and I have nowhere to leave my watch, can I bring it to Thailand without risks at the airport (customs) ?

I will not bring the box, just the watch, it's a personal item. I'm just worried that they might confiscate it because it's expensive and also maybe tax it.

My visa is elite visa, it's supposed to be a tourist visa.

Thanks.

I would just wear it. Never been questioned for personal jewelry. But, my question would be why bring it? Best kept in a safe deposit box, a friends safe, or with a family member. I always recommend never traveling with expensive jewelry. First of all, it can give away the fact that you have money, and second why take the risk, or create the temptation for someone? Not worth it. Thais are relatively honest people, when it comes to theft. But, why even go there? 

No problem for sure. My brother has an 440g necklace with an 88g scorpion on it. Been all over the world without a question.  But I wouldn't bring it to Thailand though. With Elite visa you will never been bothered about that watch.

If bothered just say you borrowed it from a Thai minister ????

Why would thai customs confiscate it? What law or rule did you break? And they cannot tax it as you are not a Thai resident.

Stories about it being taxed all happen when you return to your home country. There customs might assume you avoided paying taxes by buying the watch abroad and they can demand the vat+fine at the airport. 

Easy solution would be to bring (a copy of) the receipt or warranty card as it shows the place of purchase. That way you have evidence you didnt buy it here and are trying to avoid paying taxes at home. 

Customs will only enquire in case the watch is brand new. With an older watch they wont bother (the age of the watch can be determined based on looks or serial number as that often gives a clue of the year of production).

34 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Just flew in with an Omega seamaster and walked through customs without a second glance. In fact everyone on my flight walked through without a glance.

Mines a good copy, saved me $6,000 plus as it cost me $150 3 years ago

i actually find this quite humorous or do i just have a warped sense of humour, how many people travel into thailand wearing and expensive watch, i for one have many and this has never once crossed my mind. as someone rightly said wear it and it is considered a personal item or personal effects ... i travel in and out regularly and my day to day watch is very expensive and never once have i been questioned my wife wears a ladies Cartier covered in diamonds and same thing.. honestly you would ask such a question if you were travelling to somewhere like Brazil or a west african country where mugging is common .... 

I flew all over the world for years while in business and wore a top of the line Rolex and only had a problem once when it was brand new. I returned to the US through Honolulu, and while waiting in the customs line I was trying to stuff the watch under my shirt cuff to avoid drawing attention to the watch and was spotted by an agent. Three big bruisers came and picked me up and literally carried me to a room off to the side and strip searched me....I kid you not. They suspected that I had purchased the watch overseas and was attempting to enter the US without claiming it and paying duty. I had no receipt, but I somehow convinced them that I had purchased the watch in the US before I started my trip abroad which was the truth.

When I was young, climbing the ladder of success and rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous, the watch was a pretty impressive fashion accessory, but when I retired and moved to Thailand I stuffed it in a bank safety deposit box and never wore it one time, so I sold it a few years back. I'm no longer interested in trying to impress anyone...especially in Thailand, and it just wasn't worth loosing my life over. 

No problem here in LOS with high end watches, and wear the bloody thing thats what they are for - why have a beautiful timepiece if not to wear. As said most will think its a fake anyhow over here...

Now if I was going over to AC in the Phillpeans or somewhere like that then I would not wear an high end watch as I would not want my arm lopped off for it, there is a reason they have armed guards outside their 7/11s

I’ve been living in T’land for over 20 years and wear a Rolex Sea-Dweller that I bought in Abu Dhabi and something that I really don’t consider to be a big deal. It’s a nice watch, so what. I travel frequently between Abu Dhabi and Phuket and have never had an issue. If there ever is, the serial number and my name is registered with Rolex and I have a photo of the watch and receipt in my phone. Now if I were going back to Nigeria or some other lovely garden spot, the watch would go into the house safe.

10 hours ago, a10ams said:

Wear it. This is Thailand. Everybody will assume it's a fake and not worth stealing.

That is pretty much all over the world not just Thailand. If I see a guy wearing a 50k-70k Patek , there is a 99% chance it is a fake. Some people just don't have the face (yeah I know , it's funny but it's true) , the statute/ appearance ( the way you walk and talk , behave ) etc ... to back that watch on your wrist. No matter how well you dress some people can smell that you are just poor.

4 hours ago, anon7854 said:

No matter how well you dress some people can smell that you are just poor.

I would personally not choose the word "poor", but "trying to be what obviously you not are"

4 hours ago, anon7854 said:

Some people just don't have the face....

Indeed, a pity the ones, who try to be what they not are, don't see it.

One must possess style, it can't be counterfeit.

I don't have it, but I can discern the real from the fake.

9 hours ago, anon7854 said:

That is pretty much all over the world not just Thailand. If I see a guy wearing a 50k-70k Patek , there is a 99% chance it is a fake. Some people just don't have the face (yeah I know , it's funny but it's true) , the statute/ appearance ( the way you walk and talk , behave ) etc ... to back that watch on your wrist. No matter how well you dress some people can smell that you are just poor.

Yeah....wear a Tie on the Beach......Who needs this socalled luxury Wristwatches!? Stuffed Shirts, who need attention, wear this Watches, real brandet or fake. Use a Smartphone. 

On 12/24/2018 at 3:22 PM, sead said:

No problem for sure. My brother has an 440g necklace with an 88g scorpion on it. Been all over the world without a question.  But I wouldn't bring it to Thailand though. With Elite visa you will never been bothered about that watch.

If bothered just say you borrowed it from a Thai minister ????

Let’s see a picture of your brother 

Archived