SETV in Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, or elsewhere?

I'm currently in Phnom Penh and visited Lucky Lucky visa agents last week with a view to getting a SE tourist visa. I have no previous tourist visas from PP as I've lived here for years. They told me its highly likely they'd "void without prejudice" after issuing the visa and I'd be 50 dollars down with a useless visa in my passport - although I do have a history of visa-exempt entries to Thailand as I visit there at least 6 times per year. Phnom Penh is now only for newbies with no TV/visa-exempt history who require a Thai visa. They told me the voiding of visas is extremely common for all nationalities, including Cambodians, at PP now.
I'm going to Ho Chi Minh City today and applying for SETV tomorrow - I'll report back how I get on.

I am leaning towards Phnom Penh at the moment for this trip, purely because it is the destination I would rather experience at the moment.

I will have a new US passport, with my current Vientiane visa apparently “transferred” into it. I have no idea what that looks like or what other markings will be in my passport.

I am willing to take a chance on PP, because I can easily fly to Laos or Viet Nam from there if necessary.

Are there any recommended visa agents to use in Phnom Penh? I would especially be interested in any agents who can simplify the process or enhance results.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Soneva said:

I am leaning towards Phnom Penh at the moment for this trip, purely because it is the destination I would rather experience at the moment.

I will have a new US passport, with my current Vientiane visa apparently “transferred” into it. I have no idea what that looks like or what other markings will be in my passport.

Your "permitted stay" stamp will be copied into the new passport along with a note that this came from a Tourist Visa (and note of an extension, if you have one).  

Given their attitude at that consulate, and their penchant for putting ugly "VOID" visas in passports, you might want to spend some time in Cambodia before applying - to put some time-space between your last Thai exit-stamp and application-date there.  I don't know how long they would like to see, but the more the better - even a few days being better than "the next work-day."

• Like 1

Your "permitted stay" stamp will be copied into the new passport along with a note that this came from a Tourist Visa (and note of an extension, if you have one).  

Given their attitude at that consulate, and their penchant for putting ugly "VOID" visas in passports, you might want to spend some time in Cambodia before applying - to put some time-space between your last Thai exit-stamp and application-date there.  I don't know how long they would like to see, but the more the better - even a few days being better than "the next work-day."

I am scheduled to arrive on a Sunday. I would prefer to get the visa within one week, i.e. I do not plan on necessarily being there longer than about eight nights. It is conceivable that I might extend if I really end up enjoying the place.

How quickly might agents be able to get the visa back to me?

Do you think waiting until Wednesday or Thursday of that week will improve their perceptions? I do not want to get into a situation in which the visa substantially delays my onward travel, but a few extra days would not bother me.

I definitely want the visa returned to me by no later than Monday or Tuesday of the following week, i.e. nine days after my arrival. I would be happier to get it over with within the first week, in order to keep my subsequent travel options more flexible.

43 minutes ago, Soneva said:

I am scheduled to arrive on a Sunday. I would prefer to get the visa within one week, i.e. I do not plan on necessarily being there longer than about eight nights. It is conceivable that I might extend if I really end up enjoying the place.

How quickly might agents be able to get the visa back to me?

Do you think waiting until Wednesday or Thursday of that week will improve their perceptions? I do not want to get into a situation in which the visa substantially delays my onward travel, but a few extra days would not bother me.

I definitely want the visa returned to me by no later than Monday or Tuesday of the following week, i.e. nine days after my arrival. I would be happier to get it over with within the first week, in order to keep my subsequent travel options more flexible.

Given the changes at that consulate, it is difficult to predict.  But as you will be using an agent, I would see them on Monday, and ask what the best course of action would be.  "Lucky, Lucky," seems to have told some "no way," in some cases, rather than taking their money on a fools-errand, so that would be the best place to start.  I would talk to them the Monday after you arrive - asking if it would be better to wait a few days or not before applying.

Assuming the "void" stamp is not a concern to them, I would ask the agent if there is Any Chance At All of getting a "remark stamp" which would block getting future Tourist Visas from most consulates in the region.  If there is, best to go to Vietnam to apply.

• Like 1

Thanks. This is going to be an adventure for sure. It’s a good thing I actually like flying and traveling to all of these places as a pastime, otherwise I would really tire of jumping through hoops.

I’m definitely going to have to leave this as an open ended trip, making reservations as I go along. And that’s just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I have done one, and about to do my second, SE TV in Ho Chi Minh City. It was a real breeze. 

It's my third SE TV in a row with only 2-3 days staying out of the country - so I'm a bit nervous landing in BKK on my return flight. However, some members here have given me fair chance of success since I don't have any border crossings or flight landings/entries without a visa (visa exemption) in my passport the last 2 years. I was stopped the last time and asked a couple of Q's what I do in Thailand. Was eventually let through. 

37 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I have done one, and about to do my second, SE TV in Ho Chi Minh City. It was a real breeze. 

It's my third SE TV in a row with only 2-3 days staying out of the country - so I'm a bit nervous landing in BKK on my return flight. However, some members here have given me fair chance of success since I don't have any border crossings or flight landings/entries without a visa (visa exemption) in my passport the last 2 years. I was stopped the last time and asked a couple of Q's what I do in Thailand. Was eventually let through. 

Good luck. Be well prepared with the answer to why you are spending so much time in Thailand. Also, be well groomed and ensure you have 20,000 baht cash equivalent on you.

Good luck. Be well prepared with the answer to why you are spending so much time in Thailand. Also, be well groomed and ensure you have 20,000 baht cash equivalent on you.

I would also suggest having a ticket out of Thailand within 60 ~ 90 days. It can of course be the actual ticket one intends to use on one’s next trip.

I think three consecutive visas is unlikely to be a major problem. And, I at least have a theory that at BKK one is likely to be let through provide all above criteria are met. It is undoubtedly easier for the IOs to grant entry than it is to deny it. So, unless one is sticking out like a sore thumb as someone potentially working illegally, and totally unprepared to answer questions, it is still quite safe.

I, however, prefer using land boarders coupled with domestic flights back to BKK. It is a much better feeling to just walk right out of BKK off of a domestic flight than it is to have to deal with immigration.

I am glad to hear that Saigon is so easy. That will be my next trip after Phnom Penh. I want to get a SETV out of Phnom Penh while I still have a fresh new passport, ans use that opportunity to experience the city for the first time.