cash amounts allowed to take out of the country

i read that the maximum amount allowed to take out of thailand without declaring is 15,000USD

is this amount per person ? what if i take 15,000 and my wife takes 15,000 ? is that still ok or do they combine it ?

and if declaring cash out just for example 100,000 USD, what essentially the declaration is for ? does it automatically reported somewhere ? what is the point of declaring it exactly ?

TIA

My Ex is coming for a month's holidays soon from Europe so I'm considering giving her some money to bring back for me.

My Google searches say that she would be allowed to bring only 50,000 Thai BAHT out of the country..or...$20,00O without declaring it....So,... my simple brain said to itself...what if I give her the equivalent amout of $ 20,000...in Euro (which is about  €17,500) to bring back...that should be ok.

€17,500 is about 650,000 Thai Baht ...a lot better than just being allowed to bring out just 50,000 Bt. as stated at the top?

If I am mis-calculating, please be good enough to point it out to me ..seems a bit too simple to me?

18 hours ago, dante123 said:

is this amount per person ? what if i take 15,000 and my wife takes 15,000 ? is that still ok or do they combine it ?

Yes - but probably best to make sure you are carrying it separately.

Have you read this -

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

My Google searches say that she would be allowed to bring only 50,000 Thai BAHT out of the country..or...$20,00O without declaring it....

The amount without declaring was reduced to US$15k or equivalent

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

2. Local Currency

There is no limit on the amount of Thai baht bank notes that may be brought into the country. A person traveling to Vietnam, the People's Republic of China (only Yunnan province) and Thailand's bordering countries is allowed to take out  up to THB 2,000,000. A person traveling to other countries is allowed up to THB 50,000.

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand Thai baht bank notes, foreign currency bank notes or negotiable monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding 450,000 Baht or USD 15,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

It means 50,000 Baht in Thai currency notes.

That is correct...and as I stated?...

"My Google searches say that she would be allowed to bring only 50,000 Thai BAHT out of the country..or...$20,00O without declaring it" .

So, what I'm saying is...why not simply buy Dollars or Euros in Thailand and be allowed to bring out up to 20,000 in dollars or 17,500 in Euro.... Which is equal to bringing out about 650,000 Thai Baht? 

45 minutes ago, topt said:

The amount without declaring was reduced to US$15k or equivalent

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

Thank you topt for pointing that out, am very grateful and have taken note of it.

I take it my principle is still correct. A lot more Baht can be taken out of the country by simply buying dollars or Euro or whatever...than just bringing out Thai currency which only allows up to 50,000 Baht.

6 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Still not understand what you say above...20,000 Dollars (which is allowed to be brought out) is equal to a lot more than 50,000 Baht?

I thought your 50000 was maybe a typo?  Missing the zero, as later the 650000 was being mentioned.

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

Thank you topt for pointing that out, am very grateful and have taken note of it.

I take it my principle is still correct. A lot more Baht can be taken out of the country by simply buying dollars or Euro or whatever...than just bringing out Thai currency which only allows up to 50,000 Baht.

Correct - but why would you even want to take baht out of the country? You would get a worse exchange rate wherever you tried to change it compared to Thailand.

1 hour ago, topt said:

Because it is the law............

obviously, im asking the logic behind it, say you declare taking 10MBHT with you, then what ? does it get reported somehow somewhere ?

just trying to understand the process of declaring cash

1 hour ago, topt said:

Yes - but probably best to make sure you are carrying it separately.

Have you read this -

Thank you, and my point exactly, i once flew to Japan with about 1M yen, filled the form, they didnt ask questions or anything of sorts, so if they dont really ask and dont report, so whats the point ?

7 hours ago, dante123 said:

Thank you, and my point exactly, i once flew to Japan with about 1M yen, filled the form, they didnt ask questions or anything of sorts, so if they dont really ask and don't report, so whats the point ?

A million yen is only about $9,000 USD........under the rules, you wouldn't have to declare it.  They are more interested in Thai Baht going out of the Country..........and I can see why - the Jewelry store in Vietnam love Thai Baht and we get a pretty good exchange rate for Vietnam Dong.

8 hours ago, topt said:

Correct - but why would you even want to take baht out of the country? You would get a worse exchange rate wherever you tried to change it compared to Thailand.

depends on the country, Vietnam gives a very competetive rate for Thai Baht, contrary to popular belief, not all border transactions are done in $$ or Euros.  Dealers have to change Dong into $$, then into Baht, you lose twice.

15 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

A million yen is only about $9,000 USD........under the rules, you wouldn't have to declare it.  They are more interested in Thai Baht going out of the Country..........and I can see why - the Jewelry store in Vietnam love Thai Baht and we get a pretty good exchange rate for Vietnam Dong.

The limit was 1 milion yen so i had to declare it.

I was there last month

12 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

I left Lieland a few weeks back flying from BKK to Seoul....flew Business Class so was able to take an extra bag of goodies....lucky for me it all went according to plan.....and the good news is that I did not let the door slam me in the arse....it was all good....????????

IMG_6379.JPG

I just got hungry...

Archived