PCX 150 2018 I am away for 7 nights. Will battery go flat?

silver sea

Does anyone know how many days/nights you can leave the bike before the battery goes flat please?

i am going away after Christmas for the New Year and so the bike won’t be used for 6 or 7 days.

1. I will put the bike on the back stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. I am not sure if that makes a difference in relation to the battery ????

2. I won’t switch the alarm on.

3. I will use the radar key fob by pressing the bottom button with ‘key’ sign with handle bars turned to the left so that the bike is locked. In other words, I will press the bottom button so that the light on the fob turns from green to red.

4. While I am away,  I will leave the idling/stop button switch on.

5. I will put the rain cover on over the bike; potential thieves won’t be able to see that the alarm is not switched on i.e. there will be no periodic red pulse on the locking dial 

6. I have a big ‘D’ shape padlock which I will lock the front wiheel with, so it can’t move forward.

Maybe, if I am using the ‘D’ padlock to lock the front wheel, I don’t need to lock the bike by pressing the bottom button on the key fob to lock the bike and maybe I should switch the idling/stop button off too.  

Basically, I don’t know which features above will act as a drain on the baatery while I am away.

When I bought the bike in March 2018, I asked Honda how many days  I could leave the bike without using it and they said 3 days. Since then, I have been back to my home country twice to get new visas. Both times, I left the bike with somebody. They used the bike while I was away and so the battery was ok when I returned.

Unfortunately, since I got back in September, there has been a ‘falling out’ and so we are no longer friends, and so leaving the bike with them for 7 days is no longer an option.

There is somebody else I could ask, but aI don’t know them very well. They are really only a last resort, if the advice on this thread is not to leave the bike unused for more more than three days, because the battery will go flat. 

What do other PCX 150 owners, with radar keys, do when they have to go away and cannot take their bikes with them?

Thanks for your quick responses.

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Disconnect the battery??

I don’t have a owners manual in English so I am not sure how to switch off the battery. Is it straightforward? Are you PCX 150 owner?

17 minutes ago, Jan Van Caeyzeele said:

I have the same PX 150. No problem with the battery! Make sure the safety system is switched off!

When you say “no problem with the battery”, do you mean I don’t need to switch it off, as suggested in the other post? Instead of switching off the battery, you are suggesting that I should switch off the safety system? If so, how do I do that please? Again, I don’t have an Owners Manual in English, but I appreciate your trying to help me.

I've got a 2017 PCX 150 and have had battery problems, but it was because of my incorrect use of the key fob. 

Refer to this recent link with step by step on how to approach disarm , arm and depart.  I had it all backwards and was draining my battery

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/981131-pcx-owners-locking-the-bike-am-i-missing-something/

And the battery will last seven days or seven weeks without using

best

Moon

I once parked my PCX (with "normal" key, but i don't see a reason why keyless should use more energy if not doing anything) with the alarm turned on for 2 months

Another time i parked it with the alarm turned off for 6 months

In both cases no problems, started on first try

You are thinking way too much ????

On 12/24/2018 at 8:14 PM, Moon37 said:

I've got a 2017 PCX 150 and have had battery problems, but it was because of my incorrect use of the key fob. 

Refer to this recent link with step by step on how to approach disarm , arm and depart.  I had it all backwards and was draining my battery

And the battery will last seven days or seven weeks without using

best

Moon

On 12/25/2018 at 3:22 PM, jackdd said:

I once parked my PCX (with "normal" key, but i don't see a reason why keyless should use more energy if not doing anything) with the alarm turned on for 2 months

Another time i parked it with the alarm turned off for 6 months

In both cases no problems, started on first try

You are thinking way too much ????

Thanks Moon37 for the link. I found it very helpful. Like you I didn’t understand how it all worked either! I was using the fob to lock it manually so that the light turned from green to red.

Now I keep the fob with the light on green in my backpack, turn the knob round to lock, and just walk away. I turn around to make sure the two front orange lights come on momentarily so that I know that the bike has been locked automatically. All makes more sense now. Thank you ????

Thanks jackdd for your advice, which was very helpful ????. I shall lock it so that the handlebars can’t be turned, but without the alarm being switched on. 

Yes, you are right, I think too much ???? But that’s ok in this case, because I learned something new about my bike.

Anyway, thank you wgdanson, Jan Van Caeyzeele, Moon37 and jackdd for taking the trouble to reply to my OP. Very much aporeciated.

Finally, here are two young ladies from my home country who would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas ????

Takes about 2 months for a scooter battery to go flat. About 500 baht to replace. I would not worry about it.

If you're concerned about inadvertently draining the battery with an accessory that draws current, simply disconnect the battery at the positive terminal. That's the one with a red cable, or a plus (+) sign on the battery itself.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Takes about 2 months for a scooter battery to go flat. About 500 baht to replace. I would not worry about it.

If you're concerned about inadvertently draining the battery with an accessory that draws current, simply disconnect the battery at the positive terminal. That's the one with a red cable, or a plus (+) sign on the battery itself.

Recently a friend bought a battery for PCX. 950 Baht.

Disconnecting a battery, negative first, then positive. Reconnecting, positive first, then negative.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Disconnecting a battery, negative first, then positive. Reconnecting, positive first, then negative.

Thanks guys. Very helpful information, which I am sure will be of interest to other readers and not just to me ????

22 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You may be right. However, I have never experienced adverse consequences from simply disconnecting the positive lead. When the circuit is broken, there's nowhere for the current in the battery to go, unless there's a leak to ground.

I have a number of PCX,  6-7 days no problem. There are days 1 of my PCX don't get used for 5-7 days at a time. 

On all my PCX I turn off the idle never use it drains the battery. My first and oldest PCX had to replace battery each year using the idle since stopping the current battery is over 3 years old.  

7 days should be fine if its a newish bike and battery as newer batteries tend to hold a charge better than older ones. One week should be fine though. 

You could disconnect one connector from the battery if you went away for longer and it would be an additional anti theft measure. 

In the past I used to wheel my bike into the house when we went away for security although if you live in a condo this may prove difficult ???? 

My car battery once went flat when i went away for 6 weeks and my wife didn't start the car in that time. 

On 12/24/2018 at 6:18 PM, silver sea said:

2. I won’t switch the alarm on

switch it on, 7 days won't make any difference

On 12/24/2018 at 6:18 PM, silver sea said:

4. While I am away,  I will leave the idling/stop button switch on.

pointless

I work offshore and leave my PCX for a month at a time, just make sure the FOB is kept away.

I have a Ducati Diavel and in the past left the FOB on the bike in my garage, this drains batteries as it is always communicating. If it can't communicate it will go to sleep.

I dont want to be the bitch but i am a qualified mechanic and been making and exporting race motorcycle parts for over the last decade so might have lost touch with those not mech savy but it is a sad post. if you dont have a volt meter get one and want do a load test to make a better guess if it would die in 7days which is about the best you could do to figure out if the batterys still good which requires you to volt test while starting in which case it shouldnt drop more than a couple volts. If it spikes fast to 2-4v and up and down. Prob has oxidized plates so slowly over charge the battery to clear it out as just normal recharging wont work and to normal folk this is when you buy a new battery but in your case its probably easier to "disconnect" the dam battery. If you cant dissconect the battery trade it in for a tricycle. worst case scanrio you charge, replace a battery or push it to a mocy shop for a 1min fix 300-500b battery with labour.

I had a PCX 150 for two years, left it alone for three weeks while in the UK, though not in sunlight. Also left my Forza for three weeks while in the UK with same result.

Left both of them for more than three days many a time as I also had a car, batteries never ever went flat.

Slightly dofferent, but I just got back after going to UK in April, left Aerox covered up for entire time, started first time on my return three dats ago.

as long as you dont have an alarm on it, yours will be fine. 

I have the 2017 version, parked it, went away for 3 weeks, came back and it started fine.  Before and after, I turned the Idle stop off and ran it for about 10km to make sure the battery was full - I normally do low mileage.

7 days - just park it & walk away.  When I think about it, I haven't started mine for 6 days right now (beery time of year, so walk or taxis).

Archived