For Those Who Plan To Raise Kids In Thailand

SeanBangkok

Do you feel that your children will recieve as good as an education in Thailand as they would in your home country?

How do you feel about the inability for your children to openly question issues in Thai society, and the fact that free speech is so limited in Thailand. Personally, I am just a tourist here, so it doesnt bother me - but for my children, they would not be tourists, this would their country.

Socially, do you think your child would be better off in Thailand or back home?

How do you think being considered better than other people simply because of their skin color, and being in the top 10% financially will affect your child and their upbrining in Thailand?

How do you feel that the lack of freedom in the media and arts to question the status quo will effect your child and the person he or she becomes?

I was quite rebellious as a child, and cannot possibley imagine having grown up in Thailand. I probably would have ended up getting kicked out of the country - I was the type of student who questioned everything and spoke my mind no matter what results would come, constantly challenging teachers and the status quo, as were many of my classmates.

I am in my mid twenties, and the reason I ask these questions is because in my personal experiences I have found the majority of leuk krueng children I have encountered to be very unimpressive in terms of their intelligence and personality, and extreamly sheltered despite the fact that they have grown up in a country sourrounded by poverty.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Before I moved to Thailand I considered this question, and naively decided that children could have as good an education, and as many opportunities in Thailand as in UK. After having been here a few years I now see Thailand as a very poor place to bring up children. This is due to many of the points mentioned by the OP. My opinion is based on having the option of bringing up children in a developed country.

As a parent its me thats going to be bringing up my children, not some teacher - I look at most kids in the UK and hope that my children don't end up like them.

I like the fact that here they will be brought up multiculturally, will know more than one language, will understand that yes they may be better off than others, but that doesn't make them better. Hopefully they will grow up understanding that not everyone in the world is rich and that it's not always their fault or even a problem if they aren't wealthy.

Hopefully they wont also grow up to be judgemental or sanctimonious.

I'm from the USA. I'm a retired soldier. I think most in the USA have a very narrow minded way of thinking.

The USA is number one. We only like you if you agree with us. If not we will bomb you. The USA has a great history of helping people. We helped ourself to the land of the Indians. We helped ourselves to helpless Africans. We invaded Vietnam under false pretenses. We invaded Laos for the same reason. We even invaded Iraq under false pretenses.

We are better than everyone else. Our economy is the best in the world. We have to have the most advantageous deals or we won't make them.

I don't think I want my son growing up in the USA to learn to think like an American.

I am in my mid twenties, and the reason I ask these questions is because in my personal experiences I have found the majority of leuk krueng children I have encountered to be very unimpressive in terms of their intelligence and personality, and extreamly sheltered despite the fact that they have grown up in a country sourrounded by poverty.

Don't worry kid, you still have time to grow up.

And when you have children, you will find the answer to your questions ...

If a parent actively raises their child then it probably doesn't really matter where it is....and likewise if a parent is not active in the raising of their child then it probably doesn't really matter where it is.

I agree with you 100%. My wife is due in August and we have every intention of staying here in Thailand. I plan on being very active in my child's upbringing.

As a parent its me thats going to be bringing up my children, not some teacher - I look at most kids in the UK and hope that my children don't end up like them.

I like the fact that here they will be brought up multiculturally, will know more than one language, will understand that yes they may be better off than others, but that doesn't make them better. Hopefully they will grow up understanding that not everyone in the world is rich and that it's not always their fault or even a problem if they aren't wealthy.

Not sure how you'll bring them up ''multiculturally'' in Thailand.

I guess these identical remarks in the "mass exodus" topic didn't get the response you were looking for, so you've given your troll post its own thread.

Nice work. :o

Nevertheless, I'll bite...

It's interesting that as a mid-twenties tourist you meet so many luuk kreung children, and have the opportunity to fully analyze their intelligence and personality. Considering how statistically unlikely this is, one can't help but wonder... how do you get to meet so many unimpressive half-Thai kids? Can you give us an idea approximately how many you know well enough to form an opinion of?

Can you tell us a little bit about their parents; i.e., what is the educational background of mother and father, country of origin of the non-Thai parent, financial situation, things like that? Those factors might influence the childrens' upbringing.

And, just curious, what school system was it that taught you how to spell "extreamly" well?

Not sure how you'll bring them up ''multiculturally'' in Thailand.

Not sure either, but maybe he is referring to the fact that his children have a mother and father coming from two different countries and cultures, and will probably have the opportunity to travel between them.

Not sure either, but maybe he is referring to the fact that his children have a mother and father coming from two different countries and cultures, and will probably have the opportunity to travel between them

I think that is better referred to as bi-cultural, one of which is never going to be fully accepted in Thailand.

"mul·ti·cul·tur·al Pronunciation (mlt-klchr-l, -t-)

adj.

1. Of, relating to, or including several cultures."

"sev·er·al Pronunciation (svr-l, svrl)

adj.

3. Respectively different; various: They parted and went their several ways. See Synonyms at distinct.

"

I don't see the problem there, As a Brit I am fully accepted in Thailand, sure the visas are a hassle but its no harder than working in the US.

richard,

no offense, but your comments are comical

"I don't think I want my son growing up in the USA to learn to think like an American."

Isnt that the way you were brought up to think? No wait, you dont think like other Americans, do you. But how can that be, afterall you are an American? Oops.

"If a parent actively raises their child then it probably doesn't really matter where it is....and likewise if a parent is not active in the raising of their child then it probably doesn't really matter where it is."

You are in a state of delusion if you dont believe that the events and experiences your child has outside of your care will not help mold the person they turn into. You tell your daughter that she can be anything when she grows up, dont you think that will confuse her from everything she sees on tv, reads in books, newspapers, magazines and is taught by her teachers, and sees everyday infront of her eyes?

You tell your child that she is not better than anyone else, and then from the moment she is born she is treated differently. How much time is daughter going to spend with kids in lower income brackets that have motorcycle driver for a father? Or is she just going to be hanging out at Emporium like all the other farang kids in thailand?

my gut feeling is that the children are selfishly raised in thailand because it is better for the parents.

I am an english teacher at a prestigous international school in thailand. i must say that i have only met a handful of leuk krungs who are very intelligent in my classes, or in the club/disco scene where I am well known.

A couple of other things, many of the leuk krung girls are relentless flirts. several of them have wiggled into my bed, and then after realizing i would not date them, they and there dumb parents tried to get me arrested and fired. but i wouldnt let'em.

"If a parent actively raises their child then it probably doesn't really matter where it is....and likewise if a parent is not active in the raising of their child then it probably doesn't really matter where it is."

You are in a state of delusion if you dont believe that the events and experiences your child has outside of your care will not help mold the person they turn into. You tell your daughter that she can be anything when she grows up, dont you think that will confuse her from everything she sees on tv, reads in books, newspapers, magazines and is taught by her teachers, and sees everyday infront of her eyes?

What on earth on you on about? The above statement makes no sense whatsoever.

You tell your child that she is not better than anyone else, and then from the moment she is born she is treated differently. How much time is daughter going to spend with kids in lower income brackets that have motorcycle driver for a father? Or is she just going to be hanging out at Emporium like all the other farang kids in thailand?

Huh? Are you implying that there are no happy, well-adjusted, successful "farang kids" (or luuk kreungs?) who spent all or part of their formative years in Thailand? What makes you think they all "hang out at Emporium" (maybe they're at Siam Paragon?) Why do you need to make such huge, inaccurate generalizations?

my gut feeling is that the children are selfishly raised in thailand because it is better for the parents.

Total non sequitur, again.

Since you're not too far removed from being a child yourself, have no children of your own, and apparently hang out with a rather dysfunctional crowd of young folks, maybe you should try to be a bit less supercilious and judgemental. You still haven't told us who all these horrible kids are in your descriptions, nor how you managed to meet them.

I'll stop now... before the temptation to get really cruel becomes too much to resist. :o

I am an english teacher at a prestigous international school in thailand. i must say that i have only met a handful of leuk krungs who are very intelligent in my classes, or in the club/disco scene where I am well known.

A couple of other things, many of the leuk krung girls are relentless flirts. several of them have wiggled into my bed, and then after realizing i would not date them, they and there dumb parents tried to get me arrested and fired. but i wouldnt let'em.

First you were a tourist, now you're an english teacher at a "prestigous" international school. :o

Yea, right. And then you woke up. :D

So what it gets down to is that you date and promise some people some things and then sleep with them, when you don't follow through with your promises they get annoyed. Whats surprising about that?

Your English language skills seem stunted to about that of a 14 year old, you obviously don't have morals and you wonder why people aren't so keen on bringing up their children in the English school system, like yourself?

Your English language skills seem stunted to about that of a 14 year old, you obviously don't have morals and you wonder why people aren't so keen on bringing up their children in the English school system, like yourself?

You're being a bit generous there

I do not entirely agree with you on the issue of education.

Both my kids have done there schooling in Thailand - one just finsihing off junior shcooling, the older now finished with grades good enough to get accepted into Cal Tech (California).

Yes, their education was/is private as opposed to state - and I do agree that state school education is by and large lacking (there been exceptions to this - found especially amongst some of the central Bangkok state schools which recieve not only their state funds, but substantial private funding from parents of students who attend - which in turns distorts the comparison with purely state sponsored schools, which the majority of schools are).

As for your comment on a child's freedom to question issues in Thai society as they grow up - yes, I agree, you have a point here. On really relivant issues free speech is curtailed (as it has been on this forum since the last coup - and I do not wish to start a debate on the rights/wrongs and whys/wherefores as far as the forum is concerned).

Socially would my children be better off back home?

Hang on a sec - you make the observation that you are here on holiday, by contrast Thailand is my home, and by virtue therefore, the home of my children. I made a concisous deision to bring my children up in Thailand, and let me share with you why. My belief is that Thailand offered values that in many respects were/are more healthy than a Western upbringing. I delibrately brought my children up in a rural envoriment to limit their exposure to Western influence, and can I say it - a society that appears to be fast loosing values associated with family, tradition ect .... and I really believe that I made the right choice.

They care little for TV and Xbox, they care little flash clothes. I can (and do) allow them to play outside in the rain, to walk barefoot in the bush - and if they get a cold they get a cold. If they fall off their bicycle then tough luck. They can roam freely and safely in and around where they live. This is a community where people watch each other - you never hear of someone dying at home not to be missed until 6 weeks later.

So socially are they better off in Thailand than they would be in the West? You bet - absolutely no question about it, at least when viwed from the above point of view.

Lack of freedom in the media - yes (shame - but we have the net, and anyone who wants to get an alternative perspective on subject only has to log on - Thailand does not practise much, if any, restriction on net access).

Lack of freedom in the arts - nope, the arts in Thailand have consistantly challenged Thai politics and the Univerisities are no patsies when is comes to political questioning. Yes, they may lack the freedom as you put it, but they have a track record of challenging that - and quite successfully as well.

On you comment regards leuk krueng children, I am not sure what to say. They come from relationships that span the socio-economic spectrum - the product of farangs who have relationships with prostitutes as well as farangs who have relationships with professional Thai women. I have to be careful what I say here, but I belive a child is a product of it's upbringing. The comparison I make is that a lot of the children whose mothers come from the bright lights enviroment are often children who sadly grow up in an unsettled and often changing enviroment. This must have an influence on their developement as they grow. Yes, I would agree with you that it would reflect for better or worse in their personality/character , but I can't see it reflecting in their intelligence.

My belief of leuk krueng children is that. other than for the point I raise above, they are no different to kids anywhere else in the world, and line 1000 leuk krueng kids up side by side with Western kids, and I do not belive you will find any statisical differance along the lines you highlight (i.e. intelligence quota or personality variance). The statisical variation in both the critria you highlight will be roughly the same - and certainly inline with pure Thai children in Thailand, or pure Western children in a Western country.

Nope, I am sorry but I do not agree with you.

With great respect, you are in your mid-20's by your own admission, and a visitor to this country. I have been here 20 years and have hands on experiance of the very subject(s) you comment on in your contribution to the forum. I understand this culture and it's soical/political attitudes, I practise the culture in my day to day living every day - in short, I am as intergrated into it as I beleive any foreigner could ever be - but I learn new things everyday, and have a lot to learn still. The point I make, while I understand where you are coming from in what you have written, and I think most long time residents who read this thread will concurr with me when I say - is that your experiance of life (let alone an Asian culture) is limited.

I belive your comments reflect more your perception of the issues you raise than it does of the facts - but none-the-less, interesting comments.

Maizefarmer

Do you feel that your children will recieve as good as an education in Thailand as they would in your home country?

How do you feel about the inability for your children to openly question issues in Thai society, and the fact that free speech is so limited in Thailand. Personally, I am just a tourist here, so it doesnt bother me - but for my children, they would not be tourists, this would their country.

Socially, do you think your child would be better off in Thailand or back home?

How do you think being considered better than other people simply because of their skin color, and being in the top 10% financially will affect your child and their upbrining in Thailand?

How do you feel that the lack of freedom in the media and arts to question the status quo will effect your child and the person he or she becomes?

I was quite rebellious as a child, and cannot possibley imagine having grown up in Thailand. I probably would have ended up getting kicked out of the country - I was the type of student who questioned everything and spoke my mind no matter what results would come, constantly challenging teachers and the status quo, as were many of my classmates.

Edited by Maizefarmer

Hmmmmm... I smell a rat in this thread, and he's on holiday, and a tourist, and a teacher, and dates luk kreung who sue him unsuccessfully and yet he keeps his job and he's in his 20s, but he's a teacher, and he gets sued unsuccessfully...

Maizefarmer, thanks for another great post. Would you mind if I split that one off to start a new thread somewhere, perhaps in the Family or Teaching subforums? I have the feeling that this thread's not going to make it much longer and it would be nice to have a serious debate based on *your* message.

"Steven"

If I were currently raising a child here in the US and couldn't afford to send them to a private school, my level of comfort in them receiving a quality education in the free US public school system would not be too high. On the other hand, if the OP is representative of the english faculty at a "PRESTIGIOUS international school" in Thailand, then that option would not appear to be desirable either.

Perhaps home schooling is the answer.

Yup - I also felt something wasn;t quite right - but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

By all means - move it around to best fit in with any other subject/thread....

MF

Hmmmmm... I smell a rat in this thread, and he's on holiday, and a tourist, and a teacher, and dates luk kreung who sue him unsuccessfully and yet he keeps his job and he's in his 20s, but he's a teacher, and he gets sued unsuccessfully...

Maizefarmer, thanks for another great post. Would you mind if I split that one off to start a new thread somewhere, perhaps in the Family or Teaching subforums? I have the feeling that this thread's not going to make it much longer and it would be nice to have a serious debate based on *your* message.

"Steven"

In two years my gf and I plan on getting married. We have been together for 2 years and met while we were both at a university here in Thailand. She does not want to stay outside of Thailand and I do not wish to live out my life in my birth country. So eventually we will have a child and it will study here. If the system is as poor as most feel it is, is it not the responsibility of the parent to fill in the gaps in education? I know there are gaps here for sure. All I have to do is have a conversation with my Thai friends and my gf. I suppose speaking to your child each night about his school day really ought to do the trick.

richard,

no offense, but your comments are comical

"I don't think I want my son growing up in the USA to learn to think like an American."

Isnt that the way you were brought up to think? No wait, you dont think like other Americans, do you. But how can that be, afterall you are an American? Oops.

Yes Sean, I was brought up to think like an American. To believe everything us Americans do is ordained by god and sanctified by the holy ghost. Our past, although tragic and crude, has made us who we are today. That is why as Americans we keep repeating the mistakes of our forefathers and taking from others for the benefit of our nation.

Yes, I'm an American. But I don't live there and I don't want my son growing up there. If I thought like other Americans then I probably wouldn't be saying what I am saying. So I guess I don't think like other Americans.

Americans think there way is the only way. They have a very narrow vision of the world. They think the world revolves around the USA. When in reality, it is starting to revolve around countries like China, India, and Russia. Even the EU is starting to wise up and get in on the action. Every place the USA decided it doesn't want to do business, one of these countries moves in and completes the deal.

Also, if Americans don't wake up soon, they will find more of them on long flights to the middle east for destinations inside Iran.

So to keep this on topic, I would much rather my son learn a few foreign languages such as Thai, English and Chinese and keep pace with the direction the world is heading economically and socially than to learn how to be an isolationist trapped within the borders of the Continental United States.

So what it gets down to is that you date and promise some people some things and then sleep with them, when you don't follow through with your promises they get annoyed. Whats surprising about that?

Well Ben did not you smells another john karr on the prowl. :o

Edited by Thaising

Well Ben did not you smells another john karr on the prowl. :o

Either that or a troll.