Did America Make Thailand what it is today? Bloomberg seems to thinks so ....

TonyClifton

As much as we know that the USA is responsible for some of the problems we also know that the Europeans laid the  foundations long ago. It seems people forget that the French and the British were in Indochina long before the Americans. The Australians left their legacy too. And as much as it is convenient to blame the westerners, let's not forget that the Thais  enabled the Pol Pot regime by facilitating the trade in illegal gems, timber, weapons and of course humans. Thailand chose its modern path and it has been free of USA influence for decades. Yaba pours over the Myanmar border, and  humans are trafficked not by the USA, but by Thais. The Chinese, Indians, Koreans, etc. can bribe  anyone they want and that has nothing with America. And as much as we want to blame America,  the ordinance used to kill Thais by Thais  back in the 70's came from Canada, Sweden and other "socially responsible" nations.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Thai had been practicing their very own brand of 'cargo cultism' for years before the Americans turned up.

However,the fact that new treasures literally dropped from the skies into their laps became a very powerful incentive to carry on with whatever they were doing because the rewards were so obvious and palpable.

And the magic continued..more and more treasure fell from the sky..in the guise of Germans,Scandinavians,Brits and Aussies.etc..and now Chinese and all they had to do in return was provide a completely superficial adaptation to Western ways when the occasion demanded it.

Very powerful ju ju.Not to be abandoned lightly.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 1:08 PM, geriatrickid said:

As much as we know that the USA is responsible for some of the problems we also know that the Europeans laid the  foundations long ago. It seems people forget that the French and the British were in Indochina long before the Americans. The Australians left their legacy too. And as much as it is convenient to blame the westerners, let's not forget that the Thais  enabled the Pol Pot regime by facilitating the trade in illegal gems, timber, weapons and of course humans. Thailand chose its modern path and it has been free of USA influence for decades. Yaba pours over the Myanmar border, and  humans are trafficked not by the USA, but by Thais. The Chinese, Indians, Koreans, etc. can bribe  anyone they want and that has nothing with America. And as much as we want to blame America,  the ordinance used to kill Thais by Thais  back in the 70's came from Canada, Sweden and other "socially responsible" nations.

No argument here................Thai's have always been about the $$  -  Nothing else, the Govt, the People, everyone is driven by the $$  -  and when Thaksin wanted to peg the Baht to the Euro - The King himself made him graaap before him in shame........the $$ is almighty in Thailand, the Baht is secondary and before anyone says "Then why isn't Thailand using the $$ instead of the baht??"  it was the USA that convinced Thailand to make it a law that everything must be paid in Baht, local currency, it is really technically illegal to pay for anything in Thailand in $$ - that is why the Baht is so strong.  Look at Cambodia, it has adopted the $$ as  second currency, it is hard to find any business that takes Riel anymore in Phnom Penh - they want $$, thats why their currency isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Like 1

At the Camp Samae San communications center (RUMOUHA) worked the crypto materials gig; got bored so helped poke teletype messages.  Our main customers were USARSUPTHAI and MEDTC (Military Equipment Deliveries to Cambodia) so lots of MILSTAMP/MILSTRIP messages listing the cargo going upriver from the Mekong River down in the Delta and on into Phnom Penh.  I began working the NARC in Corozal; a mini-relay homed off the ASC at Andrews AFB MD.  This gig began in August 1981; then transferred to the R/Y commcen in Quarry Heights so front channel and back channel for the U.S. Southern Command and SSO PANAMA.  Did you know LTC Vanderpool who worked the TIC (Theater Intelligence Center)?  At RUEOEHA/YESHOO and worked as a shift supervisor and briefly as NCOIC until a senior E-7 came in.

Edited by Fortean1
poor wording

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

And the poor old Australian Legacy here. The Billabong Bars and a Rotary Cloths line.. They had one of the nastiest Battles in Nam, and only America Honoured them. 

Only the Americans honoured the Americans. The rest of the planet vilified them.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Maybe this is what is comming to Thailand ?

It's already here, only even worse. Thais refuse to drink anything but fat Coke. Coke Light is only sold in small cans and the not everywhere. I watch those Thai girls growing by the day.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:29 PM, ravip said:

Has the US done any good to any country, up to now? Has the US 'uplifted' any undeveloped country to the developed status?

Europe and Japan after WWII

• Like 2

On 12/29/2018 at 7:40 PM, Fortean1 said:

At the Camp Samae San communications center (RUMOUHA) worked the crypto materials gig; got bored so helped poke teletype messages.  Our main customers were USARSUPTHAI and MEDTC (Military Equipment Deliveries to Cambodia) so lots of MILSTAMP/MILSTRIP messages listing the cargo going upriver from the Mekong River down in the Delta and on into Phnom Penh.  I began working the NARC in Corozal; a mini-relay homed off the ASC at Andrews AFB MD.  This gig began in August 1981; then transferred to the R/Y commcen in Quarry Heights so front channel and back channel for the U.S. Southern Command and SSO PANAMA.  Did you know LTC Vanderpool who worked the TIC (Theater Intelligence Center)?  At RUEOEHA/YESHOO and worked as a shift supervisor and briefly as NCOIC until a senior E-7 came in.

English?

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Only the Americans honoured the Americans. The rest of the planet vilified them.

We old ones were asked to do by the countries we loved,  even Germans did too..Sorry if we thick old bastards offended a few of todays snowflakes , we had pride back then. Hindsights a wonderful thing, it was sad n wrong, make you feel better dear.!!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The lions share of the Marshal Plan went to Germany in Europe. Why mainly Germany and Japan? For fear of them turning Communist.

If you run up to me and say Yezhov, you are a fat bastid, here is 100,000,000,000 dollars, now go lose that weight, Im gonna take the money and maybe lose the weight.

If you run up to me and say Yezhov, you are a broke down, pathetic soul obsessed with Pringles and Thai girl feet, here is 100,000,000,000 dollars, Im going to take the money.

Either way I got the money and I dont care why. And anybody that bitches about your motives is just pissed because they DIDNT get any.... ????

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If you run up to me and say Yezhov, you are a fat bastid, here is 100,000,000,000 dollars, now go lose that weight, Im gonna take the money and maybe lose the weight.

If you run up to me and say Yezhov, you are a broke down, pathetic soul obsessed with Pringles and Thai girl feet, here is 100,000,000,000 dollars, Im going to take the money.

Either way I got the money and I dont care why. And anybody that bitches about your motives is just pissed because they DIDNT get any.... ????

OK  I'm bitching because the UK, your closest ally got very little of it, whereas the "enemy" got most of it.

This allowed Germany to rebuild their industry far more quickly than us and far more completely. We have never caught up with them. Now they have a far stronger economy than us. Who really won the war?

Suggest that you drop a line to Trump and explain all this to him. He'll probably ask Merkel to repay the debt with interest.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I agree that it's wrong to blame the boots on the ground, they were just following orders, apart from a few exceptions like Lt. William Calley who got life for mass murder but served less than 4 years under house arrest.

However, you also can't blame the world for being horrified by a war that has left such a stain on the history of mankind.

Mans left the Stain so the Horror belongs to Man, Animals kill there own freaks not their deacent. Im a Bit angry today, just read some Dunkirk released classified stuff,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

The lions share of the Marshal Plan went to Germany in Europe. Why mainly Germany and Japan? For fear of them turning Communist.

Under the The Marshall Plan (officially the European Recovery Program, ERP) the UK got 3 times as much as W Germany.  My god fellow where did you study history?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

How about Korea, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines?   I guess you weren't' born or didn't read the papers if you were.  Many countries realized if Vietnam went then they might be next.  Most of the anti war sentiment as I remember came from America.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Under the The Marshall Plan (officially the European Recovery Program, ERP) the UK got 3 times as much as W Germany.  My god fellow where did you study history?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

Read your own link. UK had to repay it's loans under the Marshal plan. Much of Germany's debt was written off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How about Korea, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines?   I guess you weren't' born or didn't read the papers if you were.  Many countries realized if Vietnam went then they might be next.  Most of the anti war sentiment as I remember came from America.

Guess you didn't read the papers at the time. Large scale protests in Australia, most European countries. I remember the Grosvenor Square riot in the UK. Do you? 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I agree that it's wrong to blame the boots on the ground, they were just following orders, apart from a few exceptions like Lt. William Calley who got life for mass murder but served less than 4 years under house arrest.

However, you also can't blame the world for being horrified by a war that has left such a stain on the history of mankind.

Many Americans refused to go and went to prison or exile.  Did they get any credit?  American kids marched in the streets and virtually stopped the war.  Did they get any credit?  The news media reported fake news about the Tet Offensive and many other battles turning public opinion against the war.  Did they get any credit?  Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam to cheer on the artillery as they shot down and killed American Pilots.  Did she get any credit? 

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Many Americans refused to go and went to prison or exile.  Did they get any credit?  American kids marched in the streets and virtually stopped the war.  Did they get any credit?  The news media reported fake news about the Tet Offensive and many other battles turning public opinion against the war.  Did they get any credit?  Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam to cheer on the artillery as they shot down and killed American Pilots.  Did she get any credit? 

Yes they did in Europe. Mohammed Ali in particular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Guess you didn't read the papers at the time. Large scale protests in Australia, most European countries. I remember the Grosvenor Square riot in the UK. Do you? 

They didn't cover it in Stars and Stripes.  March 1968?  I was 18 miles outside of Saigon cleaning up after we defeated the Tet Offensive and ended the control of the Viet Cong in the war in the South.  There were more protests in America than the rest of the world combined and the war was stopped.  It was stopped because the American media was against it and the American army didn't know how to handle the situation. 

America was trying to pick up the pieces of a failed colonial government in South East Asia and didn't have a clue how to do it.  The Allies had agreed to end colonial rule as a condition of America entering WWII but reneged on the promise after the end of the war.  Weak leadership in the USA and lack of understanding of international politics of the time caused a well intentioned effort to turn into a blood bath.  See Atlantic Charter.

http://american_almanac.tripod.com/lkffdr.htm

To understand what really happened is to get into the SEATO treaty and Thailand's role in that and the British role in Vietnam and the French/American war in Saigon.  So many interesting topics and so little knowledge. 

The topic?  Did America make Thailand what it is today?  With the help of the British and French, Vietnamese and Japanese I guess we did. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Read your own link. UK had to repay it's loans under the Marshal plan. Much of Germany's debt was written off.

You are the one that said Germany got the lions share and that's not true the UK did.  The only country that paid back all the money, penny for penny was Sweden.????

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Europe and Japan after WWII

And Thailand.  The Brits wanted to starve Thailand by taking tons of Thai rice as war reparations to feed their colonies.  Britain demanded war reparations in the form of rice for shipment to Malaya, and France refused to permit admission of Thailand to the United Nations (UN) until Indochinese territories annexed during the war were returned. Americans found out about and stopped it.  Thereby saving many in Thailand from starving.  The reparations were initially to total 1.5 million tons, or approximately 10 percent of the annual yield, but the figure was adjusted downward, and the reparations were paid off within two years.

I want to know which country helped the world more than America?  From medical breakthroughs, to giving cash to countries, to schools, to wars, everything......If your country is doomed, who do you call?  

when i ask "helped the world," I'm saying if you polled the entire world.  some countries America destroyed, but at the betterment of more people.

and then look at your iphone while using google and consuming many things from America.....America also cleaned up it's act on polluting the environment, while china is trying....

fine, bash america....but which country is more powerful and helps others more?  

17 minutes ago, puukao said:

I want to know which country helped the world more than America?  From medical breakthroughs, to giving cash to countries, to schools, to wars, everything......If your country is doomed, who do you call?  

when i ask "helped the world," I'm saying if you polled the entire world.  some countries America destroyed, but at the betterment of more people.

and then look at your iphone while using google and consuming many things from America.....America also cleaned up it's act on polluting the environment, while china is trying....

fine, bash america....but which country is more powerful and helps others more?  

The larger the face, the larger the back, as the old saying goes..

Who killed and destroyed and enslaved more than the Americans ?

Love American music btw, but so many contradictions in that country.

28 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

The larger the face, the larger the back, as the old saying goes..

Who killed and destroyed and enslaved more than the Americans ?

Love American music btw, but so many contradictions in that country.

Please read a little on china and russia (ukraine) and chile and indonesia and cambodia and sudan and egypt and ancient greece and the persians.  

i'm sure even the Mongols did worse.....  but whatever, keep on your rose-colored glasses and stay jealous.  

4 minutes ago, puukao said:

Please read a little on china and russia (ukraine) and chile and indonesia and cambodia and sudan and egypt and ancient greece and the persians.  

i'm sure even the Mongols did worse.....  but whatever, keep on your rose-colored glasses and stay jealous.  

No jealousy, and no colored glasses, i can acknowledge that Americans have developed civilisation, my point is that ALL humans, under the thin layer of civilisation, are still potential savages.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, marcusarelus said:

America was trying to pick up the pieces of a failed colonial government in South East Asia and didn't have a clue how to do it. 

The only reason the US was in Vietnam was to prevent the spread of Communism. An American obsession.

That didn't work out too well, did it?