Slow Cooker Beef Stew

tutsiwarrior

I got sum cuts ob beef from tescos an' wanna make a beef stew in a crock pot/slow cooker/rice cooker, gotta cook de shit outta de beef before it's edible...I got sum carrots , potatoes an' celery...how to make a beef stew widda nice sauce (widdout wine)? (got loadsa onions, mushrooms an' garlic, ob course...)

weigh in Ms JG an' Mr gerd...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

2 lbs beef stew meat

4 potatoes, peeled and cut in wedges

3 carrots, cut in chunks

2 onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 cups beef stock

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 cup frozen peas

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Trim and cut beef into 1-inch cube.

In 18 to 24-cup (4. 5 to 6 L) slow-cooker, mix together beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, beef stock, tomato paste, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce.

Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours (or on High for 5 to 6 hours) or until beef and vegetables are tender.

Add peas,salt and pepper.

Increase heat to High.

Whisk flour with 2 tablespoon water; stir in stew.

Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until thickened.

Discard bay leaf.

Nice recipe, Acquiesce.

When I do it in the rice cooker, Tutsi, I throw the cutup meat in first with water and a bouillion cube. Let it cook for 2-3 hours. It will get tender. The I start adding the veg: carrots first, then onion, celery, squash, then spuds and mushrooms. I don't like mushy veg.

I used to flour coat and fry the beef in butter first, but found it comes out more tender just cooking it in water. For thicker gravy, I add flour/water just before I start including the vegetables.

You could also pound the meat beforehand. Gets rid of all your aggression, too. :o

2 lbs beef stew meat

4 potatoes, peeled and cut in wedges

3 carrots, cut in chunks

2 onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 cups beef stock

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 cup frozen peas

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Trim and cut beef into 1-inch cube.

In 18 to 24-cup (4. 5 to 6 L) slow-cooker, mix together beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, beef stock, tomato paste, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce.

Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours (or on High for 5 to 6 hours) or until beef and vegetables are tender.

Add peas,salt and pepper.

Increase heat to High.

Whisk flour with 2 tablespoon water; stir in stew.

Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until thickened.

Discard bay leaf.

sounds good...I'll haveta do widdout de frozen peas as I haven't seen any at de local tescos but otherwise looks suitable for a slow cooker arrangement...thanks :o

You could of course do Goulasch..............mine is acclaimed by all who eat her.

Couple of pounds of Beef ( from the market)

Paprika powder

Caraway seeds

Chilli powder (optional)

Bell peppers

Onions

Potatoes

Mushrooms

Salt

Pepper

Demi-brown sauce

Cook Beef slowly for three hours in a sauce made from water,demi-brown sauce, two tables spoons of paprika, two teaspoons carraway seeds, and Thai chilli powder to taste. (depending how much bite you want) Add salt and pepper to taste. When stewing the beef, make the sauce quite thin, it will thicken later.

When beef is tender, add mushrooms, onions, red,green and yellow bell peppers, and potatoes (ready boiled)

Make up some more brown sauce, and add until the Goulasch is quite thick, and cook for a further 15 minutes.

Serve in the middle of a Mashed potato, Rice or Pasta ring.

Voila!!!!!!!!

Edited by lampard10

I have never been able to find any sweet type peppers, capsicum, etc...what about you guys?

btw, is demi - brown sauce like what you put on yer fry up in the UK?...you know, like what dey got on de table in cafes...maybe can use Lea an' Perrins as a substitute?

Demi-brown is Knorr, and comes in the large plastic tub. It makes gorgeous sauce for all kinds of things. It is especially good when making something liks Goulasch or Red Wine sauce. Yellow, red and green bell peppers are available almost anywhere in Thailand. Makro, Big C, Tesco, even have them in the markets sometimes.

I have never been able to find any sweet type peppers, capsicum, etc...what about you guys?

btw, is demi - brown sauce like what you put on yer fry up in the UK?...you know, like what dey got on de table in cafes...maybe can use Lea an' Perrins as a substitute?

Demi-brown is Knorr, and comes in the large plastic tub. It makes gorgeous sauce for all kinds of things. It is especially good when making something liks Goulasch or Red Wine sauce. Yellow, red and green bell peppers are available almost anywhere in Thailand. Makro, Big C, Tesco, even have them in the markets sometimes.

I got sum Lobo brand 'Oriental Braised Beef Seasoning Paste' from de Big Store an' now have de beef marinating...gonna do that one in de rice cooker widde indian paprika on top fer braising an' widde onions, tatties an chiles to follow...I'll let ye know how it turns out... :o

Lobo also does a hang lai seasoning paste... also available at the Big Store, surprisingly...

If it's Thai beef you are cooking, you must place an old axe head when you are cooking.very important.

could mebbe round up sum odd nuts an' bolts from de recent minivan engine rebuild if it's vital... :o

(could mebbe throw in sum old crank shaft main bearings...Lou Costello from Abbot an' Costello comes into de kitchen frantically shouting 'Babbit!!! Babbitt!!!...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

oh, gerd...I wish that I was technically adept an' could post fotos...but de wife's got de camera an' de computer cable has gone missin' however the stew turned up a treat flavorwise widde oriental beef seasoning and the rest widde indian paprika an' de vegetables. But de mixture has been in de pot for 5 hours now an' de beef is still chewy...expected it to be melt in de mouth texture by now, but no dice...

btw...rice cookers only have two settings: cook and warm...cook is too vigourous and warm ain't hot enuf...not enuf controll for de cooking temp...

I've got sum nice pork shoulder in de freezer an' gonna try sum hang lay as described in another thread using Lobo brand hang lay curry paste an' bacon in de rice cooker. Just need to know howta squeeze tamarinds to get de juice...de wife ob a TV associate has intimated 'how can one be so dumb as to not know how to obtain tamarind juice?' I have suggested suitable punishment... :o I mean, whaddaya supposed ta do? put de liddle beans inna blender?...from baba ganoush to hoummous to whatever...I'm gonna haveta get a new one soon...an' I'm broke an' outta work an' can't afford it :D

please contribute to the tutsiwarrior culinary fund...a madman's mind is a terrible thing to waste... :D

Never cooked in a rice cooker Toots, but if it's any thing like those slow cookers that were popular a few years back I think 8+hours is standard for beef. I always buy the sirloin in the shops, it's not as tasty but gets tender quicker. The Mrs has been buying me whole fillets at the local slaughter market and I slice and freeze for steaks and all the trimmings go into a separate bag for stew.

I start a stew on the gas ring and when it's asimmer transfer it to the electric hot plate on low. About three hours and it's delectable.

Of course if your in a hurry minced (ground) beef from Big C will cook as quick as the veg. One of the meals I grew up on but Mum used to put dumplings in it. (Drool, salivate...).

Have you considered marinating the meat prior to cooking it. Papaya breaks down the fibres (muscles) of meat and that tenderises it much quicker. Don't leave it on chicken for too long though, I laid a sliced one over 4 chicken breasts and three hours later they hadvirtually disintegrated!

Whatever you do though, don't eat the papaya. It is minging stuff. Very faecal :o

Never cooked in a rice cooker Toots, but if it's any thing like those slow cookers that were popular a few years back I think 8+hours is standard for beef. I always buy the sirloin in the shops, it's not as tasty but gets tender quicker. The Mrs has been buying me whole fillets at the local slaughter market and I slice and freeze for steaks and all the trimmings go into a separate bag for stew.

That's the treat. Real yummy filet. You must tell Tutsi the Thai for beef filet so he can get it in his market.

I'll haveta head down de market soon as I've run outta veg, still haven't seen any beef there...will have to go down to de new tesco - lotus that just opened up in town to see what dey got...

as an aside...it will be inneresting to see what effect the new supermarket will have on the traditional market...the classic scenario has the traditional losing trade to the supermarket...we shall see...dis town ain't big enuf for both to operate in parallel...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Have you considered marinating the meat prior to cooking it. Papaya breaks down the fibres (muscles) of meat and that tenderises it much quicker. Don't leave it on chicken for too long though, I laid a sliced one over 4 chicken breasts and three hours later they hadvirtually disintegrated!

Whatever you do though, don't eat the papaya. It is minging stuff. Very faecal :o

I've heard this before. Do you use green or ripe papaya? My Mrs feeds me ripe papaya regularly, she must think it's good for the libido.

I've found the best thing to keep the system working is Som O, or pomelo, I eat one a day in the season and am convinced they have a weight loss effect.

That's the treat. Real yummy filet. You must tell Tutsi the Thai for beef filet so he can get it in his market.

Not sure that the Thais differentiate between the different cuts here, I'll inquire though. Most of the beef eaten up here, and it's real cattle country, seems to be eaten raw as a larb.

I've found that locally the beef market is usually outside of town, possibly because the meat is sold to traders for the supermarkets in the cities, where as pigs are killed anywhere and is very much the preferred meat in the local general produce market.

The Thai word for cow is the sound it makes, not moo..that's pig, but maua, or something like that.

not moo, but moo, moo, as in a mooing sound...no matter, de market ladies had a big laugh anyway ('clazy, long haired, big fat falang onna cheap pushbike... :o:D:D ) pigs squeal to high heaven when dere bein' slaughtered...we gotta pig abbatoir not far from de house...at de market, to indicate pork I purse my lips an' stick 'em out like a pig snout an' make a grunting noise...de aisles are then clogged wid market ladies rollin' with laughter...whaaaad? can't win fer losin'...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

If it's Thai beef you are cooking, you must place an old axe head when you are cooking.very important.

could mebbe round up sum odd nuts an' bolts from de recent minivan engine rebuild if it's vital... :o

(could mebbe throw in sum old crank shaft main bearings...Lou Costello from Abbot an' Costello comes into de kitchen frantically shouting 'Babbit!!! Babbitt!!!...)

When you can put your fork through the axehead,the thai beef is ready! :D

to follow on...beware tescos packaged beef that has in english on de label 'small piece of beef'...I opened de package to find that it is the trimmin's from a larger cut, fulla fat that needs to be trimmed before the cookin'...

I got dem now in de pyrex bowl wid green papaya slices sittin' on de kitchen table...after I trim de fat I'll be left wid half the weight that I bought. No matter, I wanna see how dis green papaya tenderizin' works...later ta throw it inta de rice cooker wid a knorr's mushroom stock cube (can't find no beef stock cubes...) den ta follow suggestions on dis thread widde veges...(ain't got no celery...)

my 4 y.o. niece has just come inta de room waving a barbie doll around...she is unbearably beautiful, maybe I should chop her up an' put her in de pot...would guarantee a good result... :o

UPDATE:

the stew has been on the go now in de rice cooker for about 1.5 hrs, fished out a piece of de beef and it was already nice an' tender; so we can say, that the green papaya tenderizing process is OK...I wouldn't have expected such a meat texture until after at least 3-4 hours cooking.

I'm gonna keep de cooker on de go fer another 2 hours as I like a mushy beef stew but I ain't got no flour to thicken de sauce? I got sum indian gram flour that I might try wid a liddle bit ob de juice to see what it tastes like...if OK den full speed ahead...

btw, de wife saw me eyein' up de 4 y.o. niece as an ingredient and has gathered her up an fled... :o

UPDATE:

the stew has been on the go now in de rice cooker for about 1.5 hrs, fished out a piece of de beef and it was already nice an' tender; so we can say, that the green papaya tenderizing process is OK...I wouldn't have expected such a meat texture until after at least 3-4 hours cooking.

I'm gonna keep de cooker on de go fer another 2 hours as I like a mushy beef stew but I ain't got no flour to thicken de sauce? I got sum indian gram flour that I might try wid a liddle bit ob de juice to see what it tastes like...if OK den full speed ahead...

btw, de wife saw me eyein' up de 4 y.o. niece as an ingredient and has gathered her up an fled... :o

:D Hannibal stew, Tutsi?

Wow, all the members in the know who recommended papaya as a tenderiser...always papaya trees loaded with fruit around and I never knew! What happens when you eat ripe papaya? I am starting to equate it to Coke.

Let us know how the stew turns out, Tutsi. This like reality TV without the image!

the stew is finished cookin and is a grand success...I keep the rice cooker on warm an' dip inta it when peckish', make sum toast an' wallop it inta de juice, etc...so, what we have here is a thaivisa demonstration of the effectiveness ob de green papaya beef tenderizing process (tutsi accepts yer generous applause)

ye can make a nice shake/smoothie from ripe papaya an' fresh milk...maybe sumone has a recipie?