Seeking advice on where to go next in Thailand

YogaVeg

I would love assistance for my next adventure in Thailand. I've spent time in Chiang Mai and am flying back there post holidays. While planning to explore the north more eventually, I am definitely going to avoid burning season there.

A few things about me:

-I've got plenty of time, limited only by Visa shenanigans.

-US citizen arriving with a 60 day SETV. Likely to extend then a couple months in Malaysia and Vietnam then another Thai visa.

-I like healthy living and the air quality of CM (even now) is a big turn-off for me, long term. 

-Budget traveler. I don't do hostels lol but often stay in 200-300 baht fan rooms, eat only veggie Thai food, ect. Live simply. Rip-off places like Phuket would really bother me quickly.

-I'm single and would love to meet someone but have no interest in bar scenes, rarely drink, won't do paid relationships. So places like Pattaya isn't interesting, from what I've read.

-I like cities: mass transport, markets, festivities, tons of food options. I thought Bangkok would be a great place for awhile, but I have been watching the air quality charts and that's a huge turn off. I will likely visit some remote places but won't be there long. Would like to learn the language a bit and continue with massage, yoga, and cooking classes so schools and/or social scenes are a big bonus.

I'd love to eventually work in SE Asia so TEFL is on my radar.

Thank you for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated!

Why focus on one area? Just travel the country, if you like a place stay a bit, if you don't like it just hop on a bus the next day to go to your next random destination. Markets, festivities and tons of food can be found nearly everywhere in Thailand.

why not try a forest temple for a while. What you want seems a bit contradictory but that seems typical. You like big cities and dont like bad air. 

if going north get out into the mtns vut you likely will get bored unless you can find a friendly homestay and there are many...

Sri Racha hits most of your bullets.   Decent size city, and it's on the coast.  Lots of food choices and the air quality hasn't been too bad lately, but it's bad all over the country right now with all the burning.  Great open space park with grass and trees right on the water.  Lots of locals hang out there.

I'm in Krabi Town right now, and the aqi is around 40 for the last couple of days, after being up around 100 when I got here on the 25th. Ao Nang is nearby, and more of a city. I was in Hua Hin a few weeks ago, and the air was worse than Chiang Mai. Don't let people tell you that the air is good just because it's on the coast.

In order to escape the worst of the air, it seems to me you have to go further south than Hua Hin. If folks in this forum tell you the air is good where they live, ask them how they know.

Krabi Town is a bit more expensive than Chiang Mai, but if you lived here, and stayed away from the main tourist area, it's not too bad, I think.

I'd agree with the Aonang Beach suggestion. IMHO there's really not much that can be done in the smoke season - it's everywhere. Chiang Rai is a good jump-off point for many sights. You can rent a condo in Chiang Rai for 6000 - 8000 baht/month.

Buriram and Khon Kaen are apparently good places to meet Issan ladies, although very hot in summer. Accommodation is quite cheap in low season.

If you're into yoga, healthy life-style, vegetarian food etc. you should search a bit about Koh Phangan, might be of interest for you, and you could always explore it for a weeks time when doing a Thailand trip; however the place on the island named Haad Rin might not be of interest for you.

Also neighboring Koh Samui has plenty of yoga and healthy living, but some areas might be little up-priced. Many of the healthy life-style folks meet at the Greenlight Café at Elysia, where the are regular events and (free) get together; a good place to make contacts, and get information, and meet new friends with similar interests.

And by the way, the air is nice and clean fresh sea breeze at these island...????

22 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I'm single and would love to meet someone but have no interest in bar scenes, rarely drink, won't do paid relationships

Ill fix you up with my Kid, shes into yoga and vegetables and massage and the outdoors. Hows your bank balance, she wont even look at a dude until she knows the bank balance.

23 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I would love assistance for my next adventure in Thailand.

as already mentioned Hua Hin has bad air at certain times of the year. Mostly when the wind is coming from China. Like total smog.

But when it is clear it is very nice, but nothing beats the south for clean air. the islands are expensive but would have all the other stuff you want to do.

I would explore Kanchanaburi and beyond to the border, Hua Hin, Cha Am, and everything down the coast to Koh Samui.

I'm single and would love to meet someone but have no interest in bar scenes, rarely drink, won't do paid relationships.

even the Elephant Man can hook up in Thailand. the problem is getting rid of your girlfriend. it can be very difficult and heart breaking for her, unless you are really serious and take her with you as you travel. but she will not want to do that. that is why renting is better all around. 

I will likely visit some remote places but won't be there long. Would like to learn the language a bit and continue with massage, yoga, and cooking classes so schools and/or social scenes are a big bonus.

you might like Pai northwest of CM in the mountains. great food. i would rent a 150 cc scooter and do the loop. CM, Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son, Lod cave, Pai, CM.  the problem with classes is finding English in areas outside of Farang "zones"

also ride the trains to Korat, Buriram, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani. go to the rocket festival Yasothon in May, and the elephant festival in November. you might go to Songkran in Korat or Khon Kaen instead of Bangkok. Loi Krathong in CM. International fireworks contest in Pattaya.

you should know Thailand is a horribly polluted place. Air, water, noise. 24/7. oceans are filthy in many places. black clouds of diesel in your face from trucks and buses. Pesticides and chemicals in your food. garbage everywhere, there is no escaping it. and dangerous, selfish and inconsiderate drivers. extremely high UV levels. total lack of safety standards. no electrical grounding.  

5 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Good luck with your 300 baht fan rooms. Those stopped existing around 2004.

Also, good luck meeting anyone on that budget. Thai women aren't picky, but they can do better with a drunk somchai. At least the chances are he'll own a motorsai

And I thought I was a Cheap Charlie.

Nope, 299 baht in Bang Por on Samui...????

33 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Nope, 299 baht in Bang Por on Samui...????

There is such great info coming back from many helpful folks.

I was just gonna ignore that one clueless post from the guy calling himself bar girl derogatives ????

But I just spent 3 months in CM rarely paying more than 300 baht a night.

Khao Yai.  Google it.  I've been there and share your sensitivity to pollution.  Finding a place in Thailand that is pollution-free is a challenge.   

The environment in Khoa Yai is much cleaner but you will need transport.  There are amenities there but are sparse compared to typical tourist destinations. 

Cheers

OP what is your home country? Age? Looking at the likes and dislikes you’re probably going cross some things out and accept 

them as is or you might be going all over the planet searching for

whats a perfect place for you

11 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

There is such great info coming back from many helpful folks.

I was just gonna ignore that one clueless post from the guy calling himself bar girl derogatives ????

But I just spent 3 months in CM rarely paying more than 300 baht a night.

You might find more 300-baht options upcountry than in the hi-end tourist destinations, but it's not impossible to find affordable accommodation on islands like Samui and Phangan, if one don't expect too much, here-under about location; i.e. aircon and beachfront. Still plenty available in the range around 400 baht a night; and with the interest you have mentioned in you OP, you probably wouldn't like the more expensive beach-party-areas with trendy up-priced cafés.

In the ferry pier towns, Thongsala at Phangnan, and Nathon on Samui, you should be able to find a variety of affordable accommodation. I mainly know Samui, there are several in the 400-baht a night range in Nathon-area and towards Bang Po. But affordable accommodation are also available in other areas, especially if you can rent long-term, for example a couple of month, you might find a nice fan-bungalow for 6,000 to 9,000 baht a month; i.e. 200 to 300 baht a night within walking distance to the beach.

????

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Who wants to fly all the way over here to stay in a dorm room replete with the foetid stench of unwashed feet and bodies. Its the 20th century for gods sake. 

I clearly state in the first post I don't do hostels and noone here is suggesting that, so unclear why you posted this.

But back when I toured Europe, every once in a while I would. 

The reasons:

-$20 a night instead of $100+.

-use of kitchen, save $ on food

-availability on holidays when hotels were sold out

- the social element. Hotels are isolating and many hostels have common spaces, shared meals, and activities whereas you can get to meet others.

I made a girlfriend in Paris I otherwise would never have met.

In Thailand where hostels cost $2 vs hotels for $10, it's a no-brainer. But the difference in, say, San Francisco is staggering.

1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

I clearly state in the first post I don't do hostels and noone here is suggesting that, so unclear why you posted this.

OK I rephrase that: 

Who wants to fly all the way over here to stay in a fan room replete with the foetid stench of your own unwashed feet and the bodies of god knows who who stayed there before you. Its the 20th century for gods sake. 

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

OK I rephrase that: 

Who wants to fly all the way over here to stay in a fan room replete with the foetid stench of your own unwashed feet and the bodies of god knows who who stayed there before you. Its the 20th century for gods sake. 

Me, for example, and even in the 21st century.

I've been flying all that way up to 7 times a year to stay in a few hundred baht fan room – the first couple of years, 14-17 years ago, even without hot water – and all rooms have been with en-suite, so availability to wash more than just one's feet – some people do wash their feet, and also shower, before going to bed – and all rooms were clean, and with no smell from others; even the 180 baht a night backpacker hotel room at Khaosan Road in Bangkok that my friends booked me in.

To be honest, I didn't even use the fan, I just opened windows.

The "fan-room" is just a place to sleep, you'll sit on the balcony or porch, amazing Thailand is outside the room...????

The last eight years I've lived in my own house, but rarely use aircon in my bedroom – prefer a bit open slide-door to the seaside-balcony and fresh sea-breeze – so I still stay in a "fan room", and with no smell from my own feet or anybody else, but I admit that I don't fly all the way that often anymore...????

10 hours ago, YogaVeg said:
14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its the 20th century for gods sake. 

You might want to take a second look at a calendar ????

20th century Samui-accommodation for 5 (five) baht a day in the final days of the glorious hippie-era, 1977 (not sure about fan, as there might not have been electricity available, apart from a generator running an hour at noon, and between 6pm and 9pm)...

Near-Lamai_Ao-Thongtakian-bungalows-1977-5-baht-a-day.jpg.6394ee2bdc831a3751b2de887bfab434.jpg

–and more 20th century Samui-accommodation, fan-only bungalows for 100 baht a day in Lamai, 1992 (yes inflation was high at that period, price 20 times up in only 15 years, but electricity for the fan was expensive)...

666495571_1992WeekenderVillasLamai_100-baht-a-night.jpg.1e6bfa93b28fd12eb345917da45cfcbd.jpg

The images are borrowed from a group sharing old-time Samui-photos.

Unfortunately I arrived too late for that great experience back when hippies made bonfires and sang on the sunrise beaches when a full Moon showed face over the horizon – and later some of them changed to yoga and meditation, and became new-age folks, one might still find them living an isolated life in a remote bay on Koh Phangan – and had I been there at that time, then I would probably also have overstayed 28-years, as some did, and never been able to save enough money up for a retirement in an aircon room without the smell of both my own feet, and others also...:whistling:

Archived