Sadao - baht cash machine on Malaysian side?

This might be wishful thinking, but does anyone know of a cash machine which dispenses baht on the Malaysian side at Sadao.

Once before they have asked me to show proof of funds, and allowed me to whip out 10k from the Thai side (I realise that standard for coming in on a SETV is 20k, but it seems they were leniant). I'd much prefer to do this on the Malaysian side just in case I get asked.

Realise I could take the cash with me from Thailand, or use a currency exchange in Malaysia. But taking out the cash on arrival at the border would be preferably if possible.....

Edited by RickG16

I have never heard of a Baht ATM on the Malaysian side.  Do expect the value demanded to be 20K Baht with a Visa.  It might have been a "new guy" who was using the Visa-Exempt number of 10K Baht on your last visit.  Do not expect they will allow you to visit an ATM - very nice of them to do this the last time. 

The money can be shown in any readily-exchangeable currency or travelers checks.  I topped-up my old travelers check supply to comply with this silly rule, without having to carry/worry-about a wad of otherwise unnecessary cash. 

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

I have never heard of a Baht ATM on the Malaysian side.  Do expect the value demanded to be 20K Baht with a Visa.  It might have been a "new guy" who was using the Visa-Exempt number of 10K Baht on your last visit.  Do not expect they will allow you to visit an ATM - very nice of them to do this the last time. 

The money can be shown in any readily-exchangeable currency or travelers checks.  I topped-up my old travelers check supply to comply with this silly rule, without having to carry/worry-about a wad of otherwise unnecessary cash. 

Thanks.......

In cases where entry is denied due to lack of funds, do the IOs usually stamp the passport to denote this? Or is it a case of being turned away and then coming back with the money (either to same border or another one)?

Also, do you think this far more likely coming from Malaysia land border than Laos land border?

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks.......

In cases where entry is denied due to lack of funds, do the IOs usually stamp the passport to denote this? Or is it a case of being turned away and then coming back with the money (either to same border or another one)?

All reports I have read indicate they unofficially-deny (nothing in passport), and allow you to come back with the cash. 

The only land-border where I have read about "officially denied entry" stamps is the Poipet/
Aranya crossing, though they sometimes unofficially deny, often telling folks they "must fly in."  BTW - their "must fly in" lie can be substituted for the truth, which is "just go to Ban Laem and enter there."

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Also, do you think this far more likely coming from Malaysia land border than Laos land border?

Yes. I do not recall any requests for 20K Baht anywhere but Poipet (where it may still not be enough) and the Malaysian entry points (where you can show it and enter w/o issue). 

One other oddity of Malaysian entry points, you must spend a night-out before returning for an "out/in" Visa-Exempt entry.

• Like 1