Need to hire a self drive minibus (9-12 people) in Pattaya

smig

Hi,

will start by saying that I'm not very good with computers so please don't shoot me down for not finding my answers through the search. Not got a clue how to go about that lol.

I'm looking to hire a minibus from the Jomtien/ Pattaya area so I can bring the in-laws down for a week, then maybe hire again to take back. I wonder if anyone could recommend a reputable company who have good vehicles and all the appropriate insurance cover etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by smig

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

not sure that is legal for you to drive that many people.

I think the legality would depend on the type of licence plate the vehicle has. A car with a regular licence plate can be driven by a farang but I think the minibuses I have seen have a different type of plate and to drive one would probably require a professional licence (which a farang probably wouldnt get). It would probably require a work permit also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

I doubt the minibus owner would rent out their (expensive) vehicle to someone they dont know...normally they insist that they drive it....then as mentioned the registration plate issue...l believe its yellow for "taxis" green for "companies" vehicles and white for "private" vehicles...not sure if you need a "special" licence to drive yellow plates.

4 hours ago, johng said:

not sure if you need a "special" licence to drive yellow plates.

A "personal car" Thai driving license is valid for up to 7 persons in vehicle.

I also doubt very much that they rent minivans etc. to holders of such license.

Yellow plates: these are registered as "commercial truck" (I think it's possible instead of blue/white which are usual for minivans).

No way that it would be legal to drive a "yellow plate" with a personal car license.

Edited by KhunBENQ