British man called Embassy in Bangkok to complain about lousy massage

rooster59

post-137452-0-93379300-1460008910_thumb.png

A man contacted the British Embassy in Bangkok to complain about a massage that he felt he shouldn’t have to pay for.

The man requested that staff at the embassy speak to the massage parlour on his behalf after he said he fell asleep during the massage and therefore shouldn’t have to pay.

The British man complaining about his massage in Bangkok made the top ten list of odd requests received by British consular services in 2018, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Other strange requests made to British embassies and consulates around the world included a caller in the USA wanting to know who had just been voted off Strictly Come Dancing.

A man asking if there were vampires in Poland after a woman he had just met online asked him his blood type, while a man in New Delhi wanted to know what time the British High Commission opened as he heard it sold vegetarian sausages.

And spare a thought for the British man in the Canary Island who requested Foreign Office assistance after he claimed a stray cat had ‘broken into his room’ and urinated on his bed.

Speaking to The Independent, a Foreign Office spokesperson said:

“I can regretfully confirm that the Foreign Office isn’t able to offer advice on vampires, rogue stray cats or Strictly contestants. And our capacity to deploy veggie sausages remains sadly lacking.

“But in all seriousness, getting into trouble abroad can be daunting and upsetting. If you find yourself in an emergency in another country, contact the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate and our consular staff will do everything they can to help.”

According to the British Embassy Bangkok website, if you’re in Thailand and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +66(0)2 305 8333. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in Thailand, call 020 7008 1500.

If you are British national and require assistance, the embassy can help you with the following:

• Getting in touch with family or friends if you can’t contact them yourself;

• Providing details of local services such as lawyers, interpreters and doctors;

• Offering information on how to transfer money if you need to make payments;

• Issuing emergency travel documents;

• Visiting those who have been hospitalised or imprisoned.

It can not lend you money, get you out of jail if you have broken the law or help you negotiate paying for a massage!

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-30

39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Didn't know the Embassy gave massages, but if they're of a similar standard to some of their other services recently, he probably had a valid point. 

11 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Didn't know the Embassy gave massages, but if they're of a similar standard to some of their other services recently, he probably had a valid point. 

They should be good at happy endings....................................... everything else they do is the equivalent of that.

It's nice to see the British govt. and FCO still has some sense of humor.

But considering how they've performed of late and the level of service the British Embassy provides to its citizens, you might think they'd have something more useful and productive to do with their time than make fun of their own citizens...

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But considering how they've performed of late and the level of service the British Embassy provides to its citizens, you might think they'd have something more useful and productive to do with their time than make fun of their own citizens...

Anyone calling the embassy to complain about their massage and negotiate payment is an idiot and deserves to be mocked. 

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Anyone calling the embassy to complain about their massage and negotiate payment is an idiot and deserves to be mocked. 

If that's how you think government offices and employees should be spending their time, (publicly mocking their own citizens while getting paid by them) then, you get the government you deserve.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Exactly, they like to make public the oddball requests yet they don't publicise the many requests they take no action on and have no interest in.

"You pay your money, you take your chances".

Speaking of chances, chances are if you stay out drinking and carousing all night and then go for a massage, yes, chances are you might fall asleep on the table (bed, mat, whatever).

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If that's how you think government offices and employees should be spending their time, (publicly mocking their own citizens while getting paid by them) then, you get the government you deserve.

Not my embassy, country or government, but to be honest I wouldn’t have a problem if mine did act this way. 

If only to highlight the fact embassies are not your mummy. 

26 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not my embassy, country or government, but to be honest I wouldn’t have a problem if mine did act this way. 

If only to highlight the fact embassies are not your mummy. 

Not my Embassy or country either. That's why my comment above that you responded to was general in terms of how I think government offices and employees in general should and should NOT be spending their time, and didn't mention the Brits per se.

If you think what they did mocking their own citizens was a valid/valuable use of their time as public employees/servants (even acknowledging that the BKK call they received was silly), then as I said, you'll get the government you deserve.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not my Embassy or country either. That's why my comment above that you responded to was general in terms of how I think government offices and employees in general should and should NOT be spending their time, and didn't mention the Brits per se.

If you think what they did mocking their own citizens was a valid/valuable use of their time as public employees/servants, then as I said, you'll get the government you deserve.

If you'll note above, the comment of mine you responded to wasn't specific, and didn't even mention, the British govt/embassy per se. It was a general comment on how government employees on the public payroll ought or ought not be spending their time.

I didn't presume you were British, nor am I. But the same principle applies in my book -- while the caller's request was silly, the fact that his government, or any government, has its public employee

All good points, but I still have absolutely no problem with what the embassy did. 

The mockery was, and is, fully deserved. 

And further more helps highlight what an embassy is not for. 

As such, an excellent and valuable use of staff time. 

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you think what they did mocking their own citizens was a valid/valuable use of their time as public employees/servants (even acknowledging that the BKK call they received was silly), then as I said, you'll get the government you deserve.

No doubt the person who complained is an idiot, possibly still drunk when he did it. 

It would be nice if they published their service levels, and improvement targets, and developed their realization of who the customer is that they should be serving. Most, not just British, embassy and consular officials, at all levels, I've met seem to think the public are a nuisance rather than their customers!

Then they could incorporate the funny stories and we could all laugh whilst applauding their efforts to improve.

Sadly, IME, the UK Civil Service is now a misnomer. It doesn't provide a good service and is often not very civil to it's customers, the citizens.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And you've never repeated an anecdote about a fool from your place of employment?

Do you believe Public Servants should behave robotically because they are paid from the public purse?

As long as the fool's name is not mentioned it is normal, harmless behavior.

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The level of service provided by the Embassy in the area of massages is definitely on the same level as that now provided in the area of income confirmations.

Maybe he thought that as they had reduced their level of service so much, that they had enough times on their hands to give him a better one. I could have told him not to bother though, dealing with the Embassy rarely has a happy ending.
Giving massages could help replace lost income from the proof of income "service".

Sent from my SMART 4G GEN C 5.0 using Tapatalk

Archived