British man called Embassy in Bangkok to complain about lousy massage

rooster59

Anyone reading the linked article will see that the list is contrasted with a list of things that the FO will take action about.

That was the purpose of the FOs statement.

To publish what it does and doesn't do.

In the hope that idiot requests may be forestalled.

Thus giving them more time to deal with the things on the not-idiot list.

The idiot list is not a stand alone, time wasting, "bit of fun".

However the FO is assuming that the idiots who make such requests are "in range" or have adequate "signal strength".

And thus it may be a waste of time.

Well it made me smile.

Sometimes it's good to read a bit of nonsense in these troubled times.

So playmates, don't take it too seriously, fuming over 'service levels' and the like. Just revel in a bit of lighthearted froth news, before reality comes back on Jan 1st

What is really going on here is a PR campaign to highlight moronic phone calls to UK embassies whilst deflecting from the story that fewer and fewer consular and notary services are available, the attitude of embassy staff is as surly as ever and the fees charged for what few services remain are disproportionate to the cost of the work. But, never mind, we can all have a laugh sniggering at the idiot phoning up about his massage and empathise with the "hard done-by, overworked" diplomats.

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If that's how you think government offices and employees should be spending their time, (publicly mocking their own citizens while getting paid by them) then, you get the government you deserve.

You assume that the  idiot who called actually "pays" them. It may come as a shock to you, but it is a small minority of taxpayers who actually provide the taxes which pay these salaries. Many people in the UK (and North America, Australia, New Zealand) draw far more from the state than they contribute and this idiot sounds like one of them.

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Thanks to such idiots, embassies abroad will get more restrictive on their assistance towards their nationals in the foreign country.

Since when have the British embassies in any countries ever assisted their citizens staying abroad regardless?

Some years ago the British embassy in Bangkok was advising all British citizens staying in Thailand to register with them. I thought, what benefit would that be for me? And I didn`t bother.

Total waste of time and a waste of the British taxpayer’s money.

11 hours ago, Briggsy said:

What is really going on here is a PR campaign to highlight moronic phone calls to UK embassies whilst deflecting from the story that fewer and fewer consular and notary services are available, the attitude of embassy staff is as surly as ever and the fees charged for what few services remain are disproportionate to the cost of the work. But, never mind, we can all have a laugh sniggering at the idiot phoning up about his massage and empathise with the "hard done-by, overworked" diplomats.

That is very unfair on our hard-working British diplomats in Bangkok. Just because it is almost impossible for an expat to contact one does not mean they are not extremely busy. Firstly they are preoccupied with their endless diversity workshops and occasional LGBTQ Gala Nights. Secondly, they are busy preparing to move to new premises in some Sathorn shit hole. We should also be very grateful that our diplomats now represent the rich fabric of our Island Nation with a decent cross-section of nerds, yokels, social misfits, multicultural types and yobboes. Far superior to the old style diplomats and their outdated qualities of wit, intelligence and charm. 

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

more restrictive ?

restrictive
/rɪˈstrɪktɪv/
adjective
adjective: restrictive
  1. 1.
    imposing restrictions on someone's activities or freedom.
    "a web of restrictive regulations"
  2. 2.
    Grammar
    (of a relative clause or descriptive phrase) serving to specify the particular instance or instances being mentioned.

Hope this helps you out ????

10 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Since when have the British embassies in any countries ever assisted their citizens staying abroad regardless?

Some years ago the British embassy in Bangkok was advising all British citizens staying in Thailand to register with them. I thought, what benefit would that be for me? And I didn`t bother.

Total waste of time and a waste of the British taxpayer’s money.

I thought the OP was very funny in all respects - starting off with the idiot 'phoning to complain about a massage (plus other examples) - and finishing with the Brit. Embassy pretending that they would do everything possible to help Brits. in trouble in Thailand ????!

On 12/30/2018 at 11:28 AM, Bluespunk said:

Anyone calling the embassy to complain about their massage and negotiate payment is an idiot and deserves to be mocked. 

..and being deported and having his/her passport revoked. 

Archived