Light airplane crashlands in Chonburi, South African pilot killed

webfact

Light airplane crashlands in eastern Thailand, pilot killed

thailand_ambulance_050715.jpg

A private, light airplane crashlanded in eastern Thailand on Sunday, killing the pilot, police said, Xinhua reports.

The turboprop airplane, which was descending to land on the ground in the premises of Rajamangala University of Technology East in Si Racha district of Chon Buri province, crashlanded and caught fire, according to police superintendent Pol. Col. Ruangsak Buadaeng.

The pilot, identified as Mike Romberg, a 60-year-old South African national, was immediately killed in his aircraft. He had flown from Chiang Rai province in northern Thailand and planned to visit Phuket on Monday.

Full story: https://en.trend.az/world/other/3000422.html

-- Trend News Agency 2018-12-31

Last moments of "round the world handicapped pilot" who crashed in Thailand

sc.jpg

video screenshot

A video on the Pattaya News site showed the last moments of a light aircraft that crashed in Sri Racha, Chonburi on Sunday. 

Footage also showed the aftermath of the crash.

The aircraft was piloted by Mike Lomberg, a South African who was on the Thai portion of a round the world flying adventure. 

Mr Lomberg, 60, used a wheel chair because he was handicapped in both legs. 

He had flown from Chiang Rai earlier in the day flanked by two friends in other light aircraft. 

He came down by a road near the airstrip at the Rajamangala University of Technology East. Several power lives were down in the area in Bang Phra sub-district. 

An official said that Mr Lomberg had planned to be in Chonburi until January 2nd and would then fly onto Phuket. He then planned to go to Malaysia, Singapore and Australia on a round the world trip. 

The video indicated that Mr Lomberg was a former test pilot. 

Weather conditions or an engine malfunction are being considered as causes as an investigation takes place. 

Source: Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-31

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

His approach was probably too slow and the left wing stalled, unable to recover at that height.  THEN he went into the power lines.

Did I miss seeing that in the report? Guessing that's left engine stalled, rather than wing?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Hard to say from the video whether he stalled or not.  If he was not using the rudder pedals, then an uncoordinated stall is very possible.  However, in a stall/spin accident, the aircraft will often turn and then nose dive into the ground.  It happens very quickly.  It could be he tried to recover, but there was just not enough altitude.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Interesting to know if he rudder control, as he was handicapped and limited or no use of his legs.

No black box in an aircraft of this type.

Possibly the aircraft had been modified professionally for him to fly, much as cars used by disabled persons are modified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

He hit the power lines and crashed Einstein!
Pilot error,purely. Who will compensate the Thai government for the results of this hate-brained scheme? American Air Force pilots hot dogging around Italy comes to mind, minus the deep pockets.

1 hour ago, johng said:

From watching the video  , seemed to me he suddenly veered left  then crashed into some roadside power lines...not crashed into the High Tension lines/pylons  IMHO

Amazing how the Thaivisa aircrash investigators are able to see power lines that are not even visible in the video at the time the plane heads towards the ground.  Brilliant.

The only indication that power lines are there are the pylons in the haze of the distance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, texanaust said:

Hard to say from the video whether he stalled or not.  If he was not using the rudder pedals, then an uncoordinated stall is very possible.  However, in a stall/spin accident, the aircraft will often turn and then nose dive into the ground.  It happens very quickly.  It could be he tried to recover, but there was just not enough altitude.  

No sign of stall/spin.

Looked like a controlled, if rather sudden, turn, with no excessive wing drop.

Engine failure and left looked better than straight ahead?

Did he see (think he saw) something ahead that required such a turn?

Control failure and actually fighting against uncommanded turn during those last moments?

Strong sidewind gust?

Pilot blackout?

But not stall/spin.

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

It's strange at how many people doing "round the world" tours of one type or another, seem to die in Thailand.

Indeed, I remember at least two fatal endings of round the world cyclists.

Very tragic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

His approach was probably too slow and the left wing stalled, unable to recover at that height.  THEN he went into the power lines.

Don't remind me, recall the day as a student pilot on a solo flight, on final approach, feeling elated after a great flight I kind of took my eye off the needle, suddenly hearing a sound that that I never heard before, it was the Stall Warning Indicator, I was down to 40Kts (should have been 60Kts), remembering  "Nose Down, Power On" fortunately common sense kicked in as I was only a few hundred yards off the runway threshold  and less than a hundred feet, I omitted the nose down...

So yes, easily done. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

He hit the power lines and crashed Einstein!
Pilot error,purely. Who will compensate the Thai government for the results of this hate-brained scheme? American Air Force pilots hot dogging around Italy comes to mind, minus the deep pockets.

Where have you read that? Power lines could have been hit while falling, American airforce pilots hit the cables of a cable car at hundreds of metres , power lines in Chonburi are 3 yards over the road level, you think he was flying 3 metres over the road level?